Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Javaphile

Thread: Timers & anti vacuum valves

Timers & anti vacuum valves

Hi All
    When I first go my coffee machine I posed (to this group I think) the question as to whether you can put a thermosyphon machine on a timer.
    From memory the response was, "no not if it has an anti vac valve. at the time I didn't peruse it but what with the price of power no 39c a kW hour here in S.A. it is time to panic.
    The first think I do in the morning is stagger out of bed and make a coffee. Waiting 15-20min for the machine to warm up would hurt my soul.
    Can anyone tell my why I can't do a timer and why would it be any different from a power outage that happens when I'm not around?
    Presumably the anti vac valve stops the boiler from imploding when it cools (assuming you haven't let the steam out).

I was under the impression that a timer was ok for the HX models. It is the single boiler like the Silvia where the problem lies because the boiler has to be manually recharged and if for some reason it is empty or has low water level (leaking, outlets not turned off, or not recharged after the last steaming) it burns out. The HX boilers like the Rockets are automatically refilled and usually top up when turned on.
    I think thermo syphon models are the same as HX models

Any heat exchanger (HX) has anti-vacumm valve, this component relizes the old air from the boiler as the new pressure is build. We usually recommend to purge before and after not only to get the condensation from your steam and clean the nozzles holes this should be than just incase the Anti Vacumm is not working properly and can suck some milk into the boiler. Which will contaminated this.

REgards

Renzo

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll give the timer ago and just remember to purge the steam wand before I go to bed.

jquin, what Renzo was talking about in re purge before and after was not to purge the steam wand before going to bed, but rather to purge it immediately before and after steaming milk. Purging the steam wand immediately before steaming your milk will clear out any condensation in it so you don't dump a bunch of water into your milk when you go to froth it and help insure good quality steam. Purging the wand immediately after frothing your milk will clear out any milk in it and help make sure the holes in the tip remain clear.

Java "Happy frothing" phile
    Dimal and Yelta like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!