• 3 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By Tanax
  • 3 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: ECM Mechanika V Slim

ECM Mechanika V Slim

ECMs new Mechanika slim has arrived.

We have one on the bench now and it is a nice bit of gear.

https://www.casaespresso.com.au/ecm-mechanika.html

The "slim" essentially replaces the full size Mechanika in Australia. From now the full size version will be on special order only through the importer.

This makes sense as it was often a confusing model line up with the Mechanika and Technika being almost the same machine previously.

Nice and compact at only 25cm wide it joins the market occupied by the Rocket Appartmento and Izzo Vivi.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dimal and noonar like this.

Lovely. Shame they don't come with the lever valves.

Good looking machine.

Have to say I much prefer the rotary valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Good looking machine.

Have to say I much prefer the rotary valves.
    Looks wise you mean? I guess I agree on that front, but levers are sooo much easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Looks wise you mean? I guess I agree on that front, but levers are sooo much easier to use.
    You find turning a tap difficult?

You find turning a tap difficult?
    No, but levers are just easier.

Still 50/50 on the levers/taps option IMO.

Yes the levers are nice to use , however in this case i believe ECM have gone with taps to differentiate the Slim from the Technika.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    No, but levers are just easier.
    One mans poison they say, I find levers easier myself.

ECM Mechanika V Slim

To be fair my experience is fairly limited. Iíve only really used appliance level or relatively small coffee machines with fairly basic steam valve knobs that werenít always in the best position. The one machine Iíve used with a lever type valve was my old Faema Due which had slide type levers. From my limited experience I preferred the levers, but if I was buying a new machine at the prosumer level Iíd want to try a few options first for comparison.

Marcus
    They really messed this one up It's too expensive. It's a glorified Rocket Appartamento, instead it's priced almost the same as a Technika Profi, at least here in Sweden. On the Technika you get rotary pump and possibility to plumb it. This machines makes no sense to buy except for those with really limited kitchen space - but then the much cheaper Appartamento makes more sense in that case!
    Dazzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
    They really messed this one up It's too expensive. It's a glorified Rocket Appartamento, instead it's priced almost the same as a Technika Profi, at least here in Sweden. On the Technika you get rotary pump and possibility to plumb it. This machines makes no sense to buy except for those with really limited kitchen space - but then the much cheaper Appartamento makes more sense in that case!
    I wouldn't agree with you here Tanax.

Maybe things are a bit different here in Australia with pricing.

In Australia the RRP on the models that compete against the new Mechanika are-
    Appartmento $2699
    Izzo Vivi $2899
    Mechanika Slim $2960

Difference across the three on RRP $260. Of course street price is always different but RRP gives a good guide of the starting prices.

The Technika Rotary has an RRP of $3450 in Australia. That's $490 above the new Mechanika slim. A fair amount in my books.

Manufacturing costs of a "slim or compact" machine are not necessarily any less then the a standard full size. In addition I would suggest a two or three hundred dollar price difference between models in this price range is going to be justified by buyer preference over a brand name.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal and Tanax like this.

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    I wouldn't agree with you here Tanax.

Maybe things are a bit different here in Australia with pricing.

In Australia the RRP on the models that compete against the new Mechanika are-
    Appartmento $2699
    Izzo Vivi $2899
    Mechanika Slim $2960

Difference across the three on RRP $260. Of course street price is always different but RRP gives a good guide of the starting prices.

The Technika Rotary has an RRP of $3450 in Australia. That's $490 above the new Mechanika slim. A fair amount in my books.

Manufacturing costs of a "slim or compact" machine are not necessarily any less then the a standard full size. In addition I would suggest a two or three hundred dollar price difference between models in this price range is going to be justified by buyer preference over a brand name.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Hi Anthony,

Yes, prices seem to indeed be quite different!
    In Sweden, Appartamento is (the equivalent of) aprox. $2090 (AUD).
    Mechanika V Slim is (the equivalent of) aprox. $2670 (AUD) whereas the Technika IV Profi is (the equivalent of) aprox. $2750 (AUD).

Difference between Mechanika and Technika is only $80 whereas the difference between Mechanika and Appartamento is a whopping $580. In this case, Mechanika makes no sense at all. If you're stepping up $580 from the Appartamento you might as well step up to the Technika and add another $80 to get a rotary pump and the ability to plumb it. And like I said, if you're short on kitchen space, those $580 difference from Appartamento only gets you stainless steel (insulated) boiler and a brew pressure gauge. Not sure if that's worth $580 :/

Marcus

Hello Marcus,

That is a really interesting comparison on pricing.

Different markets, demands and sales volumes.

Agreed in Sweden the Appartmento looks to be great value and the Mechanika Slim looks overpriced compared to the Technika.

We have a new Mech Slim on our demo bench now, its every bit as good as the Appartmento on features and price (in Australia)

cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Magic_Matt, Yelta and Tanax like this.

Hello Marcus,

That is a really interesting comparison on pricing.

Different markets, demands and sales volumes.

Agreed in Sweden the Appartmento looks to be great value and the Mechanika Slim looks overpriced compared to the Technika.

We have a new Mech Slim on our demo bench now, its every bit as good as the Appartmento on features and price (in Australia)

cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Kind of comparing apples with oranges.

I could list lots of major pricing disparities between Australia and the US, a bit pointless really, we live in countries half a world apart with big differences in population and politics.

Whilst it's nice to look longingly over the fence, the truth is most of us have to purchase in our own backyard.
    Dimal likes this.

I could list lots of major pricing disparities between Australia and the US, a bit pointless really, we live in countries half a world apart with big differences in population and politics.

Whilst it's nice to look longingly over the fence, the truth is most of us have to purchase in our own backyard.
    Agreed 100% Man from Yelta.

As an importer and distributor we get asked verbatim " but in the USA it is xx cheaper, in Europe it is xxx cheaper etc"

Australian certifications , modifications the importer does for Australia, freight (yes we are on the other side of the world) all seem to be forgotten by many people.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.conm.au
    Dimal, Yelta and level3ninja like this.

Marcus

Of course, it was not my intention to debate the price per say. More the price-difference between different machines My point was merely that here in Sweden, Mechanika Slim doesn't make much sense since it's almost as expensive as the Technika Profi and that if space really is an issue (since Technika is rather large), the Appartamento makes more sense since it's so much cheaper than the Mech Slim

I assure you I have no plans of buying a machine from Australia
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
    I assure you I have no plans of buying a machine from Australia
    And I feel quite confident in saying that very few Australians are planning on buying an espresso machine from Sweden.
    Last edited by Yelta; 2 Days Ago at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Site Sponsor
    ECMs new Mechanika slim has arrived.

Nice and compact at only 25cm wide it joins the market occupied by the Rocket Appartmento and Izzo Vivi.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Don't forget the Lelit Mara and Vibiemme Junior Antony. At 22cm wide, the Lelit Mara is the most compact E61/HX on the market. And of course the Vibiemme Junior created the compact segment some years ago.

charlie
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and CoffeeMan2 like this.

Grillsy here.
    Long time reader, newbie poster.
    Iím looking for a compact unit right now and was about to pull the trigger on the Lelit Mara but this Mechanika has my attention. I like the look of it but Iím told that all ECM machines run hot and need a cooling flush or an Australian spec modification. Thoughts??? Is that really something to consider?
    Please be nice and not too techie *

Quote Originally Posted by Grillsy View Post
    Grillsy here.
    Iím looking for a compact unit right now and was about to pull the trigger on the Lelit Mara but this Mechanika has my attention. I like the look of it but Iím told that all ECM machines run hot and need a cooling flush or an Australian spec modification. Thoughts??? Is that really something to consider?
    Morning Grillsy, welcome to Coffee Snobs.

I'm sure Antony from Casa Espresso will set all of his machines up to suit Australian conditions, why not give him a call and discuss your requirements, he's an easy guy to talk to.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillsy View Post
    Grillsy here.
    I’m looking for a compact unit right now and was about to pull the trigger on the Lelit Mara but this Mechanika has my attention. I like the look of it but I’m told that all ECM machines run hot and need a cooling flush or an Australian spec modification. Thoughts??? Is that really something to consider?
    Hi Grillsy,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure where you might have read or seen that? Definitely not the case.

The German made ECMs are amongst the best finished machines on the market. Their group head is their own tweeked E61 unit and is very heat stable.

Added when the machine is set up by your Australian seller, a properly calibrated HX machine does not need a cooling flush.

As Yelta has said, feel free to give me a call and i can go through it with you in more detail

cheers

Antony
    (03) 9530 8992
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal likes this.

Yelta & Anthony, thanks for the quick help and the welcome.
    Thatís good to know. I through it would be weird for a brand like ECM to not be setup in the right way. I found one basic video on the ECM slim on YouTube but thereís no review yet. Iíll read up and make a decision soon.
    Grillsy

No worries Grillsy.

Call when you are ready

Regards
    Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au