Thread: Grind setting for VBM Domobar Junior

Grind setting for VBM Domobar Junior

Hi there,

This is my first post and hoping to pick the brains of the community of coffee lovers on Coffee Snobs, especially those with experience using both the Rancilio Silvia and Vibiemme Domobar Junior, which hopefully there would be many given the VBM Domobar Jr seems to be a good upgrade option for Silvia owners.

I just bought a VBM Domobar Junior over the weekend and am still learning the ropes, However, one interesting observation that I have is that I need to grind my beans about half a notch finer on the Mazzer Mini E in order to get a similar extraction time and brew ratio compared to the Rancilio Silvia. I find this interesting as my friend who has extensive experience with the Rancilio Silvia claims that the Silvia prefers a finer grind to most other machines. Based on my experience playing around with different machines, I do find that his claim has merits, which is why I'm surprised that the VBM Domobar Junior requires a finer grind.

Interested to see what other's experience are like with this.

Thanks!

Perhaps the difference in Brew Pressure between the machines could account for this...

Mal.

That's a possibility. I always suspected my friend's Rancilio Silvia's pressure to be on the high side.

There are a lot more variables that need to be considered besides comparing the 2 espresso machines.
    Are the both of you using the same coffee grounds, freshness of the beans, temperature of the coffee, tamping technique, effort (kilograms) on the tamp, pump pressure etc..

Why don't you do a test for the fun of it. Do a setup with both machines same variables and see what happens

It's fun. Willem