Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Rodney22

Thread: Minore 3 with no water to the group header...

Minore 3 with no water to the group header...

Hi and help...! My first Expobar and C/Snobs experience, so please be gentle (and assume little experience with both!). I've acquired a Minore 3 and kicked it up for the first time in 6 months (having a Rancilio PIDd Silvia for 15 years I thought it was time to take the next step). While i need to replace an O-ring on the steam boiler, it just needs a little encouragement to seal, I can't get water through the group head. The pump (vibration type) runs when the lever'd and interestingly it varies in noise, right down to really-really quiet. Any suggestions (regardless of how obvious) appreciated - thanks in advance.

No replies yet so I'll give it a go - first off I'd suggest taking your machine to your local service shop, it could probably be a number of things. It may just be the pump (shouldn't vary in noise, I've had this happen to my machine where it would suddenly reduce to a quiet hum instead of the loud vibration and pressure would drop, but I'd still get some flow. Shop said that vibration pumps typically need to be replaced every few years. They are relatively cheap) but I think it could potentially be any number of other issues - so probably a good idea to give it an overall service.

What does the brew pressure gauge do?

I thought these had a rotary pump? Maybe rotary pump is a option..

A really quiet pump means the water flow is impeded somewhere. Check the secondary hose in the water tank and see if it is dripping water when the pump is on. If so, it means the pump over pressure valve is opening.

Generally a blockage on a lever operated E61 group will be in the small jet under the topmost nut on the group.
    Undo this and have a look inside, the jet is in the middle and has a tiny hole that all the water needs to pass through. Any small flake of scale or muck will usually get stuck here.
    Be gentle taking this out and putting it back in, there's no need to tighten it excessively.

If you can see evidence of scale, remove the larger nut as well. You will be able to see the extent of the scale with this removed.
    Dimal likes this.

thank you to all three of you...I tried all suggestions and SUCCESS! Given I tried all the suggestions before retrying, I cant identify which was the contributor. To summarize, cleaned out the 0.small mm hole ("small jet under the topmost nut on the group"), I replaced both rubber lines off the pump and the pump (I had a spare one sitting around from Rancilio), I get a consistent pump sound and just need to tune in the grind to suit....thanks for all your suggestions!
    Dimal likes this.