Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zeezaw
  • 1 Post By dbun

Thread: BZ10 steaming power and back-to-back shots

BZ10 steaming power and back-to-back shots

Hi all,

I've just bought a Bezzera BZ10....really enjoying it.

It's my first HX machine and I'm a bit unsure on how to tell when the machine has recovered.
    With my old Silvia (with PID) I could tell from the flashing light.

I notice that when steaming and pulling shots the pressure gauge drops - is there a reference point (say 1 bar) I should be paying attention to?

Also, I notice there was a 4-hole tip for this model at some stage - does it have the steam power to drive a 4-hole tip?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    Hi all,

I've just bought a Bezzera BZ10....really enjoying it.

It's my first HX machine and I'm a bit unsure on how to tell when the machine has recovered.
    With my old Silvia (with PID) I could tell from the flashing light.

I notice that when steaming and pulling shots the pressure gauge drops - is there a reference point (say 1 bar) I should be paying attention to?

Also, I notice there was a 4-hole tip for this model at some stage - does it have the steam power to drive a 4-hole tip?

Thanks
    Boiler pressure is a proxy for temperature so yes, use that to work out when it has recovered.

I just made a flat white on my BZ10, pulled a shot for about 30s then immediately steamed milk in a 360mL pitcher, that took about 10 seconds and brought boiler pressure down to around 1 bar. I did a quick purge and gave the steam wand a wipe, checked boiler pressure again and it was back at 1.1 bar, where it sits when ready to go.

I'm pretty confident I could repeat the above all day and I'd never be waiting on the machine, water tank permitting. These machines are designed to handle this sort of workload in a domestic context (or even small cafes according to some manufacturers).

On the other hand if you draw water from the boiler that may involve some wait time, likewise if you're steaming a 600mL pitcher. Just use the gauge to see when it's ready to go, it's surprisingly quick to recover once up to temp.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the reply.
    I had noticed that the pressure sat at around 1.1 bar, so was trying to use that as a gauge.

I'd also noticed that after purging, steaming etc the pressure would drop, but by the time I'd pour the milk, prep the next shot etc the machine had well and truly recovered.

Even filling a large mug with hot water from the hot water spout would cause the pressure to drop a bit more, but the machine seems to recover very quickly.

Coming from a single boiler it is a joy to use.

Out of interest, do you do a cooling flush?
    zeezaw likes this.

I experimented with flushes when I first got the machine a few months back. I can see some flash boiling when the machine is idle for long periods but I've failed to notice a difference in the cup so gave up on the flushes.

I guess the actively heated group does a decent job of moderating the HX temperature, or maybe it's just that my palate is not sophisticated enough. In any case I am getting delicious shots, similar to what I am served in speciality coffee shops.

Perhaps some more experienced members can chime in, there are a couple of (ex?) BZ* owners around as far as I can tell.