Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso

Thread: Lelit Kate or Victoria with Grinder?

Lelit Kate or Victoria with Grinder?

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy either the Lelit Kate or the Victoria with a decent grinder and I was wondering what would be the better choice? The kate has a built-in grinder whereas the Victoria does not. I'm only going to be making 1-2 cups a day. Is it worth spending a bit extra for the Victoria with a Vario or similar? Maximum I would spend would be around $2100.

Thanks.

Separate grinder and machine will give you more flexibility in changing either in the future if need be, or sending in for repairs / maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by zeezaw View Post
    Separate grinder and machine will give you more flexibility in changing either in the future if need be, or sending in for repairs / maintenance.
    Also, If the grinder has been built-in, the burrs will probably warm up from the boiler’s heat release, which is likely to affect grinding consistency.

Site Sponsor
    We've taken the Kate away with us several times now on family holidays. On average, it gets through about 250g of coffee per day doing 2 or 3 coffee sessions for up to 10 coffee drinkers. Some days it was on all day and other days just for coffee sessions. I don't recall having to adjust the grinder in all that time and every shot was bang on. It was as consistent as it gets. The bonus was that I could explain to family members who had little or no coffee making experience how to use it in about one minute - "click the grinder button, wait for the grinder to stop grinding, tamp and extract". "Don't worry about the steam boiler it will look after itself".

20180109_083617.jpg

The benefits of having the grinder built in include:
    * more compact
    * saves you $$
    * cleaner (any spilled grinds fall onto the drip tray - not your bench)
    * easier for transporting

The grinder in the Kate is fast, clean, quiet, easy to use and adjust and has good consistency (time and grind).

For me, the main reason to go for the Victoria over the Kate would be if you wanted a different grinder for whatever reason.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.