Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kjarsheim
  • 1 Post By HorseFD
  • 2 Post By arcachon

Thread: ACM/SAB Pratika Vs CIME C11 Vs Lelit Diana PL60 vs Oscars... going a bit crazy

Cool ACM/SAB Pratika Vs CIME C11 Vs Lelit Diana PL60 vs Oscars... going a bit crazy

Looking for some guidance, pursuing a decent machine for espresso, long blacks and cappas that will be domestically acceptable by SWMBO on a budget that grinds to a halt around $1500.
    I usually make about 6 cappas and 5 black coffees a day.
    I'm keeping my Mini Lever and probably getting a La Pavoni lever later, just because I love messing around when it's just me.
    I have a good but not great 60mm flat burr grinder which will be next up for upgrade. But one thing at a time.
    Choice seems to be limited in these parameters to (elderly-ish) used machinery, machines like Oscar 2, (which has no hot water tap for long blacks), and somewhat obscure brands/models for which very little hard information seems available.
    I'm not overly excited by buying a 10+ year old veteran because my tech skills are a bit basic.
    E61, for what it's worth isn't desired, dont ask.
    Feel like I'm going in ever diminishing circles here.
    Fortunately it's not too urgent but I find the constraints of cost are getting a bit challenging.
    Any sane help welcome, I've been doing a lot of research so I don't ask for help lightly.
    Thanks people
    matth3wh likes this.

I had a laugh, after all the helpful feedback have decided to put aside my lust for shiny toys and purchased a pre-loved Oscar. It meets my espresso making needs on all fronts except the aforementioned shiny toy syndrome. (Which I'll pacify with a new grinder).
    Funny how just articulating a problem can help resolve it - nobody I know personally is remotely interested in the mechanics of making coffee (I'm a coffee snob apparently) so I do appreciate the sounding board opportunity.a

So no response from anyone at all?>
    What made you pick the oscar in the end?

And the no hot water for your long blacks

How's the Oscar going for you? You can always boil a kettle for the longs blacks I guess, even if it's not super convenient. Was it the 1 or 2 model you went for?
    Kjarsheim likes this.

Sorry for the loooonng delay, been working away a lot past few months and net access is, well not what I've been used to.
    Oscar was the first series, a very well kept example from a fellow
    CSer
    Honestly it's got a lot of ability and potential for further improvements, but I currently don't have the time and WFA is not there either...its not much of a looker for the bench space it eats up.
    For now the dear old Mini Lever is my go to at home. Might even try a La Pavoni when work settles down.

QUOTE=HorseFD;629231]How's the Oscar going for you? You can always boil a kettle for the longs blacks I guess, even if it's not super convenient. Was it the 1 or 2 model you went for?[/QUOTE]

Well this opportunity to put my thoughts together has been very helpful and I appreciate the feedback guys, thank you.
    Sorry I didn't answer the questions about why I went for the Oscar - in short, it was awesomely priced and seemed a good fit from all I'd read..........nothing wrong with the machine but I never really connected. Wasn't worried about lack of hot water tap until I figured out the boiler draining routine.....Zero WAF didn't really help a lot.
    After more banging my head against brick walls I've accepted needing to up my game a little (I had a laugh!) to avoid immediate onset of buyers remorse/upgradeitis.
    Lelit PL60 still has some appeal especially WAF, but HX machines like the Expobar Leva/ Bezzera BZ10/ Isomac Tea Due are my focus....like the small form factor for the space available...... but fear at this rate I'll end up with a sodding Strega!!! :-)

Your original post said you weren’t keen on an E61. Based on that the BZ10 will be the perfect choice.
    Casa Espresso and Kjarsheim like this.

No E61, yes I know!!! Funnily enough I've always liked the look of the BZ10 and the small form factor is great. All I need now is to get some face to face time with one to see if we get along. Otherwise it's back to the drawing board.
    Have to laugh about my journey, it's been quite a time, juggling needs/wants/budget etc. In the meantime I've been learning so much from the forums and the bloody goalposts keep moving....
    Main prejudice with the E61 was the time to properly warm up. Like a lot of people the thought of having to wait when you want a coffee NOW isn't attractive and SWMBO does not like appliances left on all day. That still holds but have learnt there are workarounds if sufficiently motivated.

I hear what you're saying about the heat up time and fair enough. Many want to brew on urge and not have to 'plan ahead'. My Bezzera only take 10-15 min before its ready but I tend to leave it longer. Practising for when I get my E61.

I think the wait time on the E61 is a trade off for its temperature stability and consistency. If you had one the habit of switching on 30+ min before brewing would rapidly become the normal way of making coffee.

get a wifi adapter plug and you can schedule when you want the coffee maker to start up and shut down. no thinking once it set up. I have mine turn on automatically at 720am.amd.off at 1pm.