Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Question about pulling apart Bezzera BZ-99 boiler

Question about pulling apart Bezzera BZ-99 boiler

Hi all

I'm pulling apart my BZ-99 boiler to clean it properly because it sucked up some milk and is producing disgusting steam/water from the tap. I've done enough of this stuff to avoid breaking anything, but when I looked at the exploded diagram it occurred to me that I might be able to remove the bottom of the boiler and access the insides without removing all the many nuts and copper pipes from the top. I removed 6 bolts from the bottom of the boiler but the plate (which is clearly separate from the boiler body) is not coming off.

Before I do too much prying and forcing, does anyone know whether this is actually possible or whether there is some welding or other internal stuff that will prevent me from doing this?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

On further googling I think the answer is no, I have to do it the hard way and pull everything off the top of the boiler. I found a thread about disassembling a different HX boiler and it said the bottom plate (with the heating element) is generally locked on so tight that it requires a special tool/rig to allow the boiler to be held safely in a vice so the bottom can be removed.

Looks like you will be pulling the boiler out.
    Maybe if that plate is a bugger to remove, leave it on and do your cleaning through the bungs on the other end.

Or maybe even roll the machine around to fill and empty chemical from the boiler.

It may be worth doing it first with it complete. Yknow, disable the fill probe and fill till its coming out the steam wand, let soak. Then drain out a boiler fitting. Rinse, repeat....

Dont soak the element insulated ends.
    Hipsi likes this.

Unless someone has used inappropriate gasket gunk in the past that element plate will come off with a little persuasion. One method is to use a long piece of dental floss in a sawing motion and intermittently and carefully tapping the edges with a section of wood dowel with a hammer. Did I say carefully. This has worked for me in the past.

I use fishing line for removing windscreens. Solid is better than braid.
    And heat softens most adhesives.

Agree fishing line is better

Thanks all for your ideas. I removed three of the top parts instead (2x level probes and 1x safety valve) and filled the boiler by hand with milk cleaning solution and separately with descaler, since I might as well while I have the thing opened up. Flushed by tipping the whole thing upside down, fill and repeat with clean water etc.

Looking inside with a torch it's certainly looking nice and clean, but unfortunately the odd smell has come back in the steam even after I flushed the whole circuit (boiler through steam wand/hot water tap) about 10 times using the detach probe/fill/reattach probe/open valves method.

I'm unsure what's causing the smell but I may have to dismantle the steam wand parts all the way to the top of the boiler now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfurion View Post
    I may have to dismantle the steam wand parts all the way to the top of the boiler now.
    Pretty sure that's a given mate, unfortunately...

Mal.