Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 2 Post By 2muchcoffeeman
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By K_Bean_Coffee
  • 2 Post By Yelta

Thread: Preventative maintenance week.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996

    Preventative maintenance week.

    Gave the Bezzera and Mazzer Mini a birthday this week.

    New group head seal and shower screen for the Galatea, no descale needed, mushroom was as clean as a whistle.

    Pulled the top burr carrier out of the Mazzer and gave everything a good clean up, removed caked on fines, cleaned and lubed the burr carrier thread before reassembly.

    Did it make a difference to what is in the cup? nope not a jot, however I now know all will be fine for the next few months, barring unforeseen breakdowns.

    A stitch in time saves nine.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    491
    Yelta,
    Good on you for caring for your machines so effectively,nothing like a regular check of your favorite ( any coffee related machinery really)coffee making gear...helps the bonding process and keep all items operating as designed.
    Surprising what is occasionally found during such maintenance,odd loose nuts/bolts etc that when corrected do sometimes improve what may have been considered fine operational performance.
    More users/owners really need to review their regular maintenance considerations,things last so much longer that way.
    Cheer's,
    Mick.
    shortblackman likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Yelta,
    Good on you for caring for your machines so effectively,nothing like a regular check of your favorite ( any coffee related machinery really)coffee making gear...helps the bonding process and keep all items operating as designed.
    Surprising what is occasionally found during such maintenance,odd loose nuts/bolts etc that when corrected do sometimes improve what may have been considered fine operational performance.
    More users/owners really need to review their regular maintenance considerations,things last so much longer that way.
    Cheer's,
    Mick.
    Thanks Mick, my thoughts exactly.

    These jobs take very little time and effort, and, I believe contribute greatly to the longevity of coffee equipment.

  4. #4
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    125
    Whats your recommendation on how often you clean your grinder?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by skidquinn View Post
    Whats your recommendation on how often you clean your grinder?
    Guess it depends on the grinder, I give the Mazzer a clean every month or so.

    I've heard reports of people having problems with the burr carrier being difficult to remove/adjust, keep it clean and give the thread a light smear of food grade grease, you will never have a problem, unless of course you cross thread the burr carrier when replacing it, then you have a big problem, take care, at the least sign of resistance when starting the thread, back of and start again, quote from a thread on Home-Barista "Note: The threads engage easily. If you feel resistance, rotate the collar clockwise to remove and try again. Take your time, cross-threading the collar would be a costly mistake!"

    Full thread on cleaning a Mazzer Mini here. http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/cleaning-mazzer-mini-t680.html

    I don't use Grindz.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    545
    G'day Yelta!

    Yeah. I bought Grindz & have used it once or twice. But I really found the only real cleaning comes from gently scraping off the built up stuff.
    I suppose it (grindz) gets to some of the stuff inside the burrs you couldn't reach without disassembling.

    I trust the Pavoni gets its own special celebration.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 2muchcoffeeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    167
    Nice work Yelta... If only I saw more like yours...

    I'd recommend also pulling down the steam and hot water valves for lubrication and o-rings if required. Also worth doing the same for the group and leva.

    I use teflon bike chain lube for grinder burr carriers. Goes on wet then dries and the bonus is that it doesn't attract coffee grinds like food grade lube does.

    Cheers

    2mcm
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by shortblackman View Post
    G'day Yelta!

    Yeah. I bought Grindz & have used it once or twice. But I really found the only real cleaning comes from gently scraping off the built up stuff.
    I suppose it (grindz) gets to some of the stuff inside the burrs you couldn't reach without disassembling.

    I trust the Pavoni gets its own special celebration.
    Morning Shortblackman,

    Grindz may well be OK, I just don't like the idea of running anything other than coffee through my grinder, some people use rice, to each his/her own.

    The LaPavoni has become our travel machine and resides permanently in the motor home, hasn't seen a lot of use so other than end of session clean have not needed to do any maintenance on it as yet, still producing excellent shots and making the odd cappuccino.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    Nice work Yelta... If only I saw more like yours...

    I'd recommend also pulling down the steam and hot water valves for lubrication and o-rings if required. Also worth doing the same for the group and leva.

    I use teflon bike chain lube for grinder burr carriers. Goes on wet then dries and the bonus is that it doesn't attract coffee grinds like food grade lube does.

    Cheers

    2mcm
    Morning Chris,

    Thanks for the tips, good idea re the chain lube, will use it next cleaning session.

    Have recently replace all of the seals and pins in the group as well as the O ring on the water tank spigot, will do steam and water valves today, to be honest didn't even give them a thought.
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Guess it depends on the grinder, I give the Mazzer a clean every month or so.

    I've heard reports of people having problems with the burr carrier being difficult to remove/adjust, keep it clean and give the thread a light smear of food grade grease, you will never have a problem, unless of course you cross thread the burr carrier when replacing it, then you have a big problem, take care, at the least sign of resistance when starting the thread, back of and start again, quote from a thread on Home-Barista "Note: The threads engage easily. If you feel resistance, rotate the collar clockwise to remove and try again. Take your time, cross-threading the collar would be a costly mistake!"

    Full thread on cleaning a Mazzer Mini here. http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/cleaning-mazzer-mini-t680.html

    I don't use Grindz.
    Thanks Yelta..... I guess I'm well overdue to clean my grinder than.... whoops

  11. #11
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    I'd recommend also pulling down the steam and hot water valves for lubrication and o-rings if required.

    2mcm
    Done! good tip Chris, O rings fine, seal in steam valve fine, seal in HW valve a bit chewed up,still sealing, so have ordered a couple of O rings and seals from Coffee Parts, good to have on hand, just in case.

    Bit of lube! they feel like silk.
    2muchcoffeeman and Dimal like this.

  12. #12
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,873
    Not really maintenance, but today I have my bundle of joy a polish. I highly recommend this SS polish from good old Bunnings:
    chrislng likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Done! good tip Chris, O rings fine, seal in steam valve fine, seal in HW valve a bit chewed up,still sealing, so have ordered a couple of O rings and seals from Coffee Parts, good to have on hand, just in case.

    Bit of lube! they feel like silk.
    Seal in HW valve installed, took all of 2 minutes, Simple job.
    Last edited by Yelta; 22nd January 2017 at 09:07 AM.
    2muchcoffeeman and Dimal like this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    These E61 groups really are easy to work on.
    Not sure what the HW valve has to do with the E61 group. Different parts.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    4,996
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by dlight View Post
    Not sure what the HW valve has to do with the E61 group. Different parts.
    Your right, it has nothing to do with the group other than being mounted on the front panel, for the sake of accuracy have changed my post.

    Contemplated the fact after posting and wondered if anyone would pick it up.

    Regardless the jobs described were, quick, easy and effective.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •