Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By matth3wh
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By Rocky
  • 2 Post By Mrsr20
  • 2 Post By Mrsr20
  • 1 Post By GregWormald

Thread: Melbourne cafe charges men more for coffee

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    14,064

    Melbourne cafe charges men more for coffee

    Hhhmmmm...... Melbourne cafe charges men more for coffee - BBC News


    Java "Interesting..." phile
    matth3wh likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    685
    Click bait head line 🤣
    Andy likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    406
    Is that what "articles" are coming to now?

  4. #4
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,559
    The Handsome Her cafe seeks to address the gender pay gap with a monthly optional surcharge for male customers.

    The extra money collected is donated to support services for Aboriginal women.

  5. #5
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    406
    trentski! I didn't know you had a degree in journalism!
    matth3wh and woodhouse like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,559
    There is a website that exists for the sole reason of saving you clicks on clickbait websites.

    I like to think im working for the greater good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    805
    When you have your own business you are entitled to push your pet social agenda if you want.
    Customers will decide whether they want to buy-in or not.
    During my career in the Public Service I had more than my fill of "Affirmative Action" - the discrimination you have when you want to counterbalance discrimination.
    In my retirement I have had more than my fill of Political Correctness.
    So I would tend to drink my coffee elsewhere.
    Yelta and mdrawde like this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    21
    Charging men more seems very sexist to me, can you imagine if a bunch of guys opened up a coffee shop charging women more than men? Imagine the outcry, it would be shut down on an instant.

    It's illegal to pay someone less money due to their sex here in Australia, gender gap debunked.

    Moving on.
    IrisGanache and mdrawde like this.

  9. #9
    Member woodhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsr20 View Post
    gender gap debunked
    funny, this government agency thinks otherwise...

    https://www.wgea.gov.au/addressing-p...gender-pay-gap

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by woodhouse View Post
    funny, this government agency thinks otherwise...

    https://www.wgea.gov.au/addressing-p...gender-pay-gap
    Well of course the "workplace gender equality agency" is going to disagree that there isn't a gender pay gap.

    Here's why I believe it's a myth in Australia.

    Women historically choose to work in feilds that do not pay highly, or get degrees in feilds that don't pay as well.

    Women also historically choose to work less hours, work part time to look after kids, and thus are not as likely to progress to higher positions in general due to these factor's.

    If you work less hours, and choose to work in feilds that pay less, then obviously you will take home less money. No one is being paid less money for the same job due to sex though, as that is discrimination and highly illegal.

    If women got paid less for the same job, why aren't business hiring a entire female work force to save millions of dollars?

    It's a myth.
    IrisGanache and mdrawde like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsr20 View Post
    Well of course the "workplace gender equality agency" is going to disagree that there isn't a gender pay gap.

    Here's why I believe it's a myth in Australia.

    Women historically choose to work in feilds that do not pay highly, or get degrees in feilds that don't pay as well.

    Women also historically choose to work less hours, work part time to look after kids, and thus are not as likely to progress to higher positions in general due to these factor's.

    If you work less hours, and choose to work in feilds that pay less, then obviously you will take home less money. No one is being paid less money for the same job due to sex though, as that is discrimination and highly illegal.

    If women got paid less for the same job, why aren't business hiring a entire female work force to save millions of dollars?

    It's a myth.

    It may well be the case that (on average) women have different preferences to the average male, and may work in different fields/ roles etc (in fact this is stated quite clearly on the webpage cited by woodhouse). This does not logically imply that other forces have no effect on the pay gap (where it exists). The genuine gap most likely exists in negotiated packages at senior levels.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    9
    It is illegal to sell cannabis, methamphetamine, speed in a car, beat your wife/children or a stranger in the street, pay people "under the table" pay less than the minimum wage, just to name a few. I'm reassured that it doesn't happen in your country or mine because it is illegal.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    33
    Ummm no not a myth, friend and I worked on the same job doing the same thing and both of us have similar skill level. She made 5K less then I did, we had been in the role for similar amounts of time as well but I got pay rises every year during performance reviews and she didn't even though she worked as well as I did.

    When I made mention of this to my boss I was given a bunch of excuses none of which made much difference. Eventually we both left and we are now making equal money in other places

    The pay gap exists and it's still blatant but socially it is unacceptable to reveal your pay to others so it's not as apparent as it really should be

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    CHC NZ
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by lilTanker View Post
    Ummm no not a myth, friend and I worked on the same job doing the same thing and both of us have similar skill level. She made 5K less then I did, we had been in the role for similar amounts of time as well but I got pay rises every year during performance reviews and she didn't even though she worked as well as I did.

    When I made mention of this to my boss I was given a bunch of excuses none of which made much difference. Eventually we both left and we are now making equal money in other places

    The pay gap exists and it's still blatant but socially it is unacceptable to reveal your pay to others so it's not as apparent as it really should be
    Did you report this to the relevant authorities? If not, you probably should have. Without reporting it, you kinda let your former boss off the hook, and gave him the idea that it's fine to pay differently for different sexes.

  15. #15
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,275
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    My experiences with the "relevant authorities" is that they are essentially useless unless it involves sending out an information brochure.

    Greg
    mdrawde likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •