Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Rocky
  • 1 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By flynnaus
  • 3 Post By Yelta
  • 3 Post By Yelta

Thread: Interesting Coffee expereince in Manly Vale Sydney

  1. #1
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    204

    Interesting Coffee expereince in Manly Vale Sydney

    No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

    Interesting Coffee expereince in Manly Vale Sydney on Friday to try 'worlds most expensive coffee'. Might interest some

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    819
    I have been a Wine and Coffee enthusiast all my adult life but I long ago reconciled myself to the fact that with a few exceptions, only people who actually work in the industry are able to develop a palate that is knowledgeable and discriminating enough to appreciate and differentiate the extreme subtleties involved at the top end of both these fields.
    As an example, I drank quite a number of 30 year old Grange Hermitage vintages in the late '90 & early 2000s. (I had been stacking them down when I was a young bloke and had plenty of money before I got married)
    I had a a lot of experience with red wine as an enthusiastic amateur, and I could tell that the Grange was an exceptional wine but could never identify all the subtle elements mentioned by the experts (like Len Evans).
    It would be the same with this bean - it would be largely wasted on me.
    greenman and chippy like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,694
    I wouldn't consider yourself unworthy Rocky. The inability to use the correct taste descriptors shouldn't reduce your enjoyment. I wouldn't care if genuine connoisseurs would look down their nose at a summary of, "that's a bloody good brew". Mind you, the $55 ask would have me questioning whether it is worth 10x more than a good SO filter brew.
    matth3wh likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    I wouldn't consider yourself unworthy Rocky. The inability to use the correct taste descriptors shouldn't reduce your enjoyment.
    Yes. Like Rocky, I'm a red wine fan and once bought a bottle of Grange, and looked forward to drinking it for ten years. Then when I did, anticipating the heavens to shine upon my taste buds, I found it tasted like... red wine. But, I can say I've had it and I won't die wondering. Likewise if it were closer to where I live I would go for the $55 shot of coffee - to see why people pay so much, for a start. It's cheaper than a bottle of Grange anyway!

  5. #5
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    Mind you, the $55 ask would have me questioning whether it is worth 10x more than a good SO filter brew.
    I have paid $20 for some amazing Panama Geisha brews, part of the experience was the brewer giving taste descriptors of the bean, how it was processed, about the farmer who nurtured the crop, smelling a sample of the ground beans, watching them painstakingly brewing the magic elixer and finally savouring the delicate refined flavours emanating from the brew, it was a total experience well worth the price tag, could I distinguish between the $20 brew and the $55 brew, I doubt it but it would be nice trying!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    I have paid $20 for some amazing Panama Geisha brews, part of the experience was the brewer giving taste descriptors of the bean, how it was processed, about the farmer who nurtured the crop, smelling a sample of the ground beans, watching them painstakingly brewing the magic elixer and finally savouring the delicate refined flavours emanating from the brew, it was a total experience well worth the price tag, could I distinguish between the $20 brew and the $55 brew, I doubt it but it would be nice trying!!!
    Yes I would cough up $20 for that experience. You're making my mouth water. I'm off to the grinder.
    matth3wh likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,189
    flynnaus, gordons and chippy like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I thought it was "a fool and his money soon party" but, given events over the last 12 months, it could well be "a fool and his money are soon elected"
    Come on Yelta, there must be some things in life you are prepared to fork out more for in the name of hedonism. Life's too short

  9. #9
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,189
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    Come on Yelta, there must be some things in life you are prepared to fork out more for in the name of hedonism. Life's too short
    G'day Flynn,

    Yep, I have my moments, just spent a month in the US enjoying some of what the land of Trump has to offer, it's a great country, a shame we cant escape politics.

    Spent time in the Appalachians, music, food, wonderful hospitality, more music, more food, and so it went.

    I bought another ukulele, Heather bought a dulcimer, as I said, we have our moments.

    However payin $55 for a cup of coffee ain't one of em.

    PS Forgot to mention the moonshine! its good! Popcorn Sutton is alive and well, and, the stuff sells for a lot less than $55 a jar, about 500 ml.
    Last edited by Yelta; 25th August 2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Dimal, flynnaus and matth3wh like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •