Results 1 to 27 of 27
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mikejoc
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: sunbeam em0480 shim kit 1 washer = 7 clicks of finer coffee

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    105

    sunbeam em0480 shim kit 1 washer = 7 clicks of finer coffee

    As suspected, following Brevilles shim kit for grinders that dont do fine enough, Sunbeam as followed and one the same. I was going to go and buy some washers and try it, but upon calling sunbeam, they informed me they will send out a shim kit, and they even emailed me a pdf on how to install them. Each washer which is 0.25mm apparently alters the calibration by 7 clicks (so their instructions say), so 2 washer should get me to about position 10 and grind fine enough for espresso. Cant wait for the postperson.
    I had considered going through the washer jar in the shed, but becasue its under warranty, I would have hated to put one in that was too thick, and now they will send a correct thickness set out to me.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by betterathome View Post
    "...they even emailed me a pdf on how to install them..."
    Would you by any chance still have that pdf and could you send it to me? I have the washers that I bought from a store I just want to make sure I install them the proper way the first time.
    Thanks!
    - OmegaVirus

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaVirus View Post
    Would you by any chance still have that pdf and could you send it to me? I have the washers that I bought from a store I just want to make sure I install them the proper way the first time.
    Thanks!
    - OmegaVirus
    Given that this thread is 2 years old and I have just yesterday done this to my grinder. Send me a pm with your email address and I will scan my copy of the instructions and email it to you

    Andrew


    or even better add it here
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by andy_c; 18th June 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add file 'cause i can do that

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    349
    Sorry to nec an old thread but anyone tested this "7 settings" per shim claim? I guess if you were really insistent on a setting of 12, you could buy some 0.1mm shims or even 0.05mm. I could take one of the 3 (factory shipped) shims out of my EM0450 and see if suddenly it's grinding on 8-9 I suppose. I suspect it might be more like 3-4 settings per shim.

  5. #5
    Member mikejoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    45
    Yep, old thread but it just saved the life of a grinder and a few bucks.

    I made a crude shim out of wire works great.
    Thanks CS!!
    BangalowBarista likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    43
    I must be weird in the fact that I actually got 3 shims with my 480 in the box!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    10
    OK I might give this a shot as my grinder is p!ssing me off by not being fine enough.

    I suppose to get an extra washer at bunnings I should take in the star washer to get right diameter, and choose a .25mm washer.

    Edit: I added the spacer (shop down the road had it) and the coffee came out majorly coarse! Couldn't get it fine no matter how I tried, then sudddenly the machine stopped working. Completely dead.

    Sigh... now to try and replace it
    Last edited by SheikYerbouti; 6th January 2015 at 08:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by SheikYerbouti View Post
    OK I might give this a shot as my grinder is p!ssing me off by not being fine enough.

    I suppose to get an extra washer at bunnings I should take in the star washer to get right diameter, and choose a .25mm washer.

    Edit: I added the spacer (shop down the road had it) and the coffee came out majorly coarse! Couldn't get it fine no matter how I tried, then sudddenly the machine stopped working. Completely dead.

    Sigh... now to try and replace it
    ... so instead of getting the free shim kit designed to do the job you went and paid for something which is probably the wrong size...

    If you take the "Bunnings shim" out and get the correct one from SB you may be able to save your grinder. Assuming it did not jam and burn the motor or bearing out...

    TampIt
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    126
    Hi,

    Just a quick question: Does anybody know if these shim sets still available whether they also work with the smaller EM0440?

    Thanks

    Daniel

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by danq View Post
    Hi,

    Just a quick question: Does anybody know if these shim sets still available whether they also work with the smaller EM0440?

    Thanks

    Daniel
    These work with the 0440. I just fitted one today. I'm not sure about getting shims direct from sunbeam but there's a shop on eBay that sells shims listed for the 0480 but in the listing it says it suits the 0440 as well but I don't think I'm allowed to link to it on this forum. They sell for $1.50 each. Listed as "Sunbeam EM0480 Spacer/Shim 0.25mm Part No EM0480109 - NEW - GENUINE"

    I bought a few but only fitted one of them today and the difference is huge. Previously I was on the finest setting and it was still just a little too coarse. Now I have to go to about 15 for the same grind!

    Install is super simple for the 440. Take off the bean hopper. Remove nut, star washer and other little metal thingy. Slide off the burr, slide a shim on the shaft and replace the burr, and the nut etc and you're done.

    Main thing to remember is that the nut is removed by turning clockwise, not anti clockwise.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    34
    I contacted Sunbeam and asked for a shim kit, thinking they would just send it without any fuss. No so. The asked for proof of purchase etc etc. Meanwhile I ordered 2 from ebay. Total cost incl postage was $3. Very very fast delivery.
    Meanwhile some a**h*** burgled my holiday house and stole the grinder.
    If I buy a replacement, won't be sunbeam.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    Hi, 1st post here.
    I've looked around on the forum for more info Re' the Sunbeam EM0480 but landed here.
    My question is- With all of these shim issues, are the EM0480's worth the money or would
    I be buying a head-ache?
    Hope this isn't classified as "highjacking"

  13. #13
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Cook View Post
    Hi, 1st post here.
    I've looked around on the forum for more info Re' the Sunbeam EM0480 but landed here.
    My question is- With all of these shim issues, are the EM0480's worth the money or would
    I be buying a head-ache?
    Hope this isn't classified as "highjacking"
    Depends if you're looking to buy a new one or a second hand one. If you're thinking of buying a new one at full retail I'd consider other options as you can often get a very decent 2nd hand grinder for <$300. BUT if you've bought or spotted a cheap 2nd hand Sunbeam then go for it. I just bought a 2nd hand one on Trade Me here in NZ (online auction site) for $17.50. Seller stated it wasn't grinding fine enough so there wasn't much interest in it. I picked it up, cleaned it and tested it. It was working great, in good condition, but not fine enough for espresso even though there were 2 factory fitted shims in place already.
    So I ordered a couple of shims off eBay and tried some normal washers in the correct size while I waited. None of these thicker washers worked, they actually made the grind COURSER. When the proper shims arrived I popped both of them in and VOILA!! So there are now FOUR shims in place and I still have to have the grinder set on about 4-5 for espresso, but for $25 I have a really good grinder. It's quieter than my Nemox Lux so it has the tick of approval from my wife. Grind quality and speed is about the same as the Nemox so I'm a very happy camper and will be keeping it as my main grinder for now.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    32
    Shimming the bottom burr is a last resort when the grinder is worn. It should work but I bet that the reason your grinders need adjustment is not that they are worn past the last setting but they have never been set correctly from factory.
    There is a setting in the top burr that is "explained" in the manual but is indecipherable.
    All you need to do is pull the top burr out, take the 2 side screws that keep the burr in the plastic sleeve and turn towards the direction of finer grind inside the sleeve and put the screw back in the new position.

  15. #15
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    Shimming the bottom burr is a last resort when the grinder is worn. It should work but I bet that the reason your grinders need adjustment is not that they are worn past the last setting but they have never been set correctly from factory.
    There is a setting in the top burr that is "explained" in the manual but is indecipherable.
    All you need to do is pull the top burr out, take the 2 side screws that keep the burr in the plastic sleeve and turn towards the direction of finer grind inside the sleeve and put the screw back in the new position.
    What screws are you talking about? I don't see any screws. Are you definitely talking about the EM0480?

  16. #16
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,073
    My EM0480 doesn't have any screws holding the top burr in place either (would be nice I suppose!). I suspect Marc1 is either referring to the Breville Smart Grinder Pro (with the adjustable top burr fitting) or maybe a newer version of the Sunbeam? I've had my EM0480 since 2009, so can't comment on what might've changed over the past 6 years...

  17. #17
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,624
    I just read the em0489 manual and there's nothing in there about it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    296
    It sounds to me like Marc1 was talking about the Nemox/Lelit grinder. In that scenario, his instructions make complete sense. The Nemox/Lelit has two plastic 'screws/holders' that prevent the upper burr from going further than the 2 screw allow.

  19. #19
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,073
    On the whole '7 clicks finer coffee' does this actually work for finer tuning? Or does it just shift the whole lot one way for those people who's machines are a being a bit of a burk and could never grind finer in the first place? (I'm guessing that's what was meant..)
    Anyone successfully modified one of these for being stepless? I'm guessing not... I'm trying to get away with not buying a new grinder but doubt I'll last long..

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    On the whole '7 clicks finer coffee' does this actually work for finer tuning? Or does it just shift the whole lot one way for those people who's machines are a being a bit of a burk and could never grind finer in the first place? (I'm guessing that's what was meant..)
    Anyone successfully modified one of these for being stepless? I'm guessing not... I'm trying to get away with not buying a new grinder but doubt I'll last long..
    If you try searching this site you will find detailed instructions for converting a 480 to stepless.

    Also, once bedded in the 480 is a surprisingly good grinder.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    curious, are you actually having trouble with the "steps" in the grinder being too large for good adjustment?

  22. #22
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,073

    sunbeam em0480 shim kit 1 washer = 7 clicks of finer coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    If you try searching this site you will find detailed instructions for converting a 480 to stepless.

    Also, once bedded in the 480 is a surprisingly good grinder.
    Thanks. I haven't got around to looking yet, but will do. I've had this grinder for 6 years, so it's well past its expected lifespan, but I have as you say, found it surprisingly good for what it is. I wonder if given its age my attempts to make it stepless will kill it... We'll see.

    Allthecoffee - Yeah the grind steps are too big for me to consistently make espresso, not so much you can't have something nice enough in milk, but for me it's spent most of its life (and much of its near future I'm sure) just being a French press grinder anyway, so has done ok as that just set on its maximum. I don't yet own my own coffee machine (was fortunate enough to borrow a Silvia for a month recently - long enough to catch the bug!) so I'm hoping I can keep this one active as my first grinder for my first machine - lowering my initial investment cost...

  23. #23
    Rbn
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southland NZ
    Posts
    386
    To ressurect this old thread.

    My just purchased used $60.00 EM480 was far too coarse on the 0 setting.
    I put in a cardboard shim very thin, and got it to go OKish, so put in a fibre washer, maYBE ABOUT 0.33mm, I didn't measure it.
    Now I can choke my EM6910 on a grind of 10, so set it on about 11 or 12.
    However 2 questions,
    the gap from fine and a good pour, to coarse is about 1 click, (using a VST basket)

    And I had to take the top washer with the arm on it off to get enough thread to put the nut back on.
    And I think the shaft has a bit of movement in it, maybe too worn to be a long term grinder for anyone (was going to give it to my daughter!)

    Comments welcomed

  24. #24
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,073
    My thoughts on this machine have changed a lot since July, now I've got some experience with it on espresso. I've been using it since then, but am just about to purchase a new grinder.

    I can't be confident to suggest you keep that fibre washer, unless you're sure it won't melt/burn up. The shims provided by Sunbeam are stainless steel and very thin - I have 4 in there stock from the factory. I normally grind around 10 for fresh, 8 for ageing beans and 7 chokes the machine, so 3 clicks is a normal range of use I think.
    The VST basket might be too 'brutal' for the em0480, but I normally (with my much more forgiving stock ECM baskets) hold in the button at the back and make tiny adjustments as necessary (a la discussion re stepless above, this approach I've found perfectly sufficient without need for tape or filing anything down). If the burrs are flogged out, you might be getting more fines clamming up the filter basket. Mine is getting pretty old, and now it's been used consistently for espresso, increased fines is rapidly becoming my experience.

    I don't know, but it could be that the top washer serves a stabilising function for the shaft, or even for holding the bottom burr firmly. I wouldn't run the machine without it, personally.

  25. #25
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    To ressurect this old thread.

    My just purchased used $60.00 EM480 was far too coarse on the 0 setting.
    I put in a cardboard shim very thin, and got it to go OKish, so put in a fibre washer, maYBE ABOUT 0.33mm, I didn't measure it.
    Now I can choke my EM6910 on a grind of 10, so set it on about 11 or 12.
    However 2 questions,
    the gap from fine and a good pour, to coarse is about 1 click, (using a VST basket)

    And I had to take the top washer with the arm on it off to get enough thread to put the nut back on.
    And I think the shaft has a bit of movement in it, maybe too worn to be a long term grinder for anyone (was going to give it to my daughter!)

    Comments welcomed
    You need to get the proper shims from Sunbeam, or at the very least an exact replica. They are only 0.25mm thick and for some reason nothing else seems to work. I think a few people have had some luck using other things as you are, but I'd say they're in the minority. I know I had no luck until I reverted to using Sunbeam shims and nothing else. I don't know why it's like this, but it just is.
    rawill likes this.

  26. #26
    Rbn
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southland NZ
    Posts
    386
    I guess the same modifications and comment apply to the EM 0440 as well.
    Just bought one for my campervan. Grind is OK, but could be better.
    Adjustment does not seem to make a huge difference.
    I can see the burr moving a little.

    Also posted this on another thread.

    Robin
    Will delete it.

  27. #27
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    I guess the same modifications and comment apply to the EM 0440 as well.
    Just bought one for my campervan. Grind is OK, but could be better.
    Adjustment does not seem to make a huge difference.
    I can see the burr moving a little.

    Also posted this on another thread.

    Robin
    Will delete it.
    Yeah I've done one or two 0440/0450s exactly the same way with the same results. They're identical to the 0480 internally.

Similar Threads

  1. Sunbeam EM0480 Washer replacement
    By MikeT in forum Grinders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd June 2013, 12:01 PM
  2. Sunbeam EM0480 suddenly grinding finer?
    By CafeLotta in forum Grinders
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th December 2012, 11:26 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th August 2012, 09:46 AM
  4. finer and finer - where does it stop?
    By DrT in forum Grinders
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11th December 2006, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •