Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 201 to 212 of 212
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New Breville BCG820 "Smart Grinder Pro"

  1. #201
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38
    Hello everyone.

    The Smart Grinder Pro is advertised on the Breville site to..:

    "automatically adjust the dose whenever you change the grind"
    .

    My interpretation from this statement is that changing the "grind" would refer to incremental changes made to grind size. Which would imply that the dose seconds should change proportionally to the grind size. ie, when i rotate the grind size knob the dose should automatically change.

    This doesn't happen at all on my machine.

    My only indication of this feature even existing on the unit is the "program" function. Where you program a certain dose for the entire "espresso range" of grind, and then the entire "percolator range" of grind..etc. When you turn the grind knob enough so that the grind size lapses into the new range, the dose adjusts to the amount that you specified in the program.

    Am I missing something, or is this all it is?

  2. #202
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    406
    That's all it is

  3. #203
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Evening everyone.
    Accidently managed to remove the bottom burr from my breville smartgrinder pro and am unable to secure it back in place - it seems to sit too high.
    Anyone have any experience and tips on reinserting the bottom burr after removal?

    Cheers, Julian

  4. #204
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula, NSW
    Posts
    406
    I'm going from memory here, but I think there is a specific orientation that it has to sit in in relation to the shaft, like a flat side or a bump that sticks up from below that goes into a hole in the burr. Also it's a left-hand thread, so lefty-tighty, rights-to-a-person.

  5. #205
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Yeah there is indeed a flat side but i can't seem to push the driveshaft deep enough for it to sit below the top burr.I think this has something to do with the screw thread at the bottom of the driveshaft which seems to rotate around but not bite on anything at the bottom of the driveshaft shaft

  6. #206
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jsunario View Post
    ... Accidentally managed to remove the bottom burr from my breville smartgrinder pro and am unable to secure it back in place - it seems to sit too high.

    Anyone have any experience and tips on reinserting the bottom burr after removal?
    Without wanting to sound silly, but did you line up the pins with the holes in the underside of the burr?

  7. #207
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Yes - all lined up, D (flat side of shaft) lined up still no cigar , perhaps its my caffeine deficiency?

  8. #208
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2
    I had a problem with mine today.

    My normal settings is usually

    17.8 sec
    14 grind size

    with this setting and local beans, i get 20g of grind coffee. However, this morning, the grind was clumpy and very fine for some reason and I can only get 11g out. I took the grinder apart and clean the top and bottom burrs. This did not fix the problem at all.

    I had to change my settings to

    22.8 sec
    28 grind size

    This seems to work now with the same beans. Has anyone experience this at all? I buy freshly roasted bean from my local roaster for the last 3 months.

  9. #209
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by trungie View Post
    I had a problem with mine today.

    My normal settings is usually

    17.8 sec
    14 grind size

    with this setting and local beans, i get 20g of grind coffee. However, this morning, the grind was clumpy and very fine for some reason and I can only get 11g out. I took the grinder apart and clean the top and bottom burrs. This did not fix the problem at all.

    I had to change my settings to

    22.8 sec
    28 grind size

    This seems to work now with the same beans. Has anyone experience this at all? I buy freshly roasted bean from my local roaster for the last 3 months.
    That's strange. I would recommend to check again top burr alignment and if it is fully rotated to the red dot. If the top burr adjusting is on same number as before (1-6) Another tip could be that you have clogged way below burrs. Everytime I am cleaning I use hoover to clean way below burrs. Just put hoover perpendicularly onto bottom burr and try if air goes easily through the gringer. And then change the direction by moving hover to portafilter handle and try to do same and check if air is flowing in through bottom burr.

  10. #210
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dandu View Post
    That's strange. I would recommend to check again top burr alignment and if it is fully rotated to the red dot. If the top burr adjusting is on same number as before (1-6) Another tip could be that you have clogged way below burrs. Everytime I am cleaning I use hoover to clean way below burrs. Just put hoover perpendicularly onto bottom burr and try if air goes easily through the gringer. And then change the direction by moving hover to portafilter handle and try to do same and check if air is flowing in through bottom burr.
    I cleaned everything and made sure the top burr clicked in, however, it's still doing the same thing. The top burr is currently set to 5.

    I'm now using the new settings.

    23 sec
    28 grind size

    This is getting me 18g and the shot is consistent again. If anything happens again, I will call up Breville and get someone to have a look at it.

  11. #211
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by trungie View Post
    I had a problem with mine today.

    My normal settings is usually

    17.8 sec
    14 grind size

    with this setting and local beans, i get 20g of grind coffee. However, this morning, the grind was clumpy and very fine for some reason and I can only get 11g out. I took the grinder apart and clean the top and bottom burrs. This did not fix the problem at all.

    I had to change my settings to

    22.8 sec
    28 grind size

    This seems to work now with the same beans. Has anyone experience this at all? I buy freshly roasted bean from my local roaster for the last 3 months.
    This is really weird - I came here, having not visited for quite a while, to post this exact same issue, which based on the time of your post happened at exactly the same time!

    In my case - at a particular grind setting (5), properly aged beans from the same supplier, my grinder has gone from taking about 21 seconds for a double shot basket to approximately 35 (!) seconds to produce the same amount of ground coffee. The strange thing is that once you run it for that long, the shot pours just the same.

    The motor sort of sounds like it's spinning faster, like it's not having to work as hard. It's like the beans aren't actually getting down into the burrs at the same speed they used to, if that makes sense, so it's grinding the same as ever but just not being fed fast enough from the hopper.

    Very strange - and this was without anything changing, i.e. not after I pulled it apart or changed to a different supplier of beans or anything like that. I've also had the problem now with three different blends from my usual place, same problem each time.

    Since then I have disassembled it to the extent that you can disassemble it, cleaned it thoroughly, emptied the hopper, checked for obstructions, and tried again - no improvement.

    Should the lower burr rotate just from being manually pushed? I.e., when you pull the thing apart, should it move freely or is it locked in place? Mine doesn't move.

  12. #212
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jooi312 View Post
    Update from my previous post, just got my grinder back today. I'm not too sure what they did but it seems to have worked! Getting nice shots now with the inner burr set at '5' and the LCD set around 8
    I would love to know what they did. I'm having the same issue with my grinder at the moment. It was purchased in December 2015 (I highly doubt I have the receipt), I've recently moved on to a Hx machine and actually started getting some use out of the grinder, but at 1 on the top burr and 1 on the dial I'm getting 18-20 second shots even when over dosing and tamping mighty hard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •