Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 74
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Handground grinder

  1. #1
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,668

    Handground grinder

    This Kickstarter newie is about to go into production and they have appointed an Aussie importer...

    It will be priced at less than the OE Lido range and the ergonomics look good....Conical burr set and they have put a heap of time into grind consistency

    We grabbed 10 from their crowdfunding campaign...
    handground nickel.jpghandground white.jpgHandground black.jpghandground side.jpghandground top.jpg
    Dimal, chokkidog and gonzo89 like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,032
    Wow, the price is ample better than the Lido grinders! Here's hoping the ground quality is at least proportionally better for the cost over a Hario, as my Hario drives me crazy, but not Lido-$200-to-upgrade crazy (I've been using the Hario for cupping, and it's just not done my roasts any justice at all). Will be keeping an eye out on your website TC - international shipping on these grinders is painfully expensive.

  3. #3
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,668
    Yes- not sure what retail is going to be, but they should sit between the small ones and OE on price...

    I love the ergonomics and I think that another great alternative means we the coffee crazy get to win!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    547
    I think that there must definitely be room for a ~$150 hand grinder. Good to see.
    TC likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    I can't wait to receive mine :-) Brandon and Daniel are very committed to their project and I for one am not at all concerned about the time it took to get it to the high standard they aimed for. Many of the backers have been quite annoying on the threads out there. It could have been easier to just pump out another redressed Hario or Porlex but they stuck with their plan. The tests show impressive grind consistency for the price range. They put a lot of thought into durability also.
    TC likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    153
    Ordered one also

    Hopefully it offers well aligned burrs and a consistent grind.

    EDIT: Went for white

  7. #7
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,886
    I'm really looking forward to trying one out. It's always exciting when a crowd funded product launches.

  8. #8
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,032
    I'm most looking forward to that natural arm movement. Lateral rotation and trying to keep my Hario pinned to the benchtop is a nightmare (and grazed knuckles...). This will be much easier.

  9. #9
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,981
    Hmmmm.... interesting way to use the Hario Readeral! ;-)

    I take the rubber 'foot' off and put it over the bean 'hopper' and grind away, no problem.

    But this new one looks super cool... I hope it delivers, looking forward to a road test.

  10. #10
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,032
    Oh, I have a hario slim, not a skerton, so actually have a lid. The reason I keep it on the bench is to (try... And fail) to eliminate as much burr wobble as I can. Reality is, it's probably a pointless exercise, hence keen to upgrade to something a little nicely engineered.

  11. #11
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,300
    Yep, I want one. So my Skerton has to go. I bought an older model Skerton and modded it with an OE bearing, a home made lid and a wing nut on top of the shaft for ease of use. Certainly turned it into a much more capable grinder, but the Handground looks too good not to try.

  12. #12
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    125
    Noticed online these guys mention they are currently producing their first 500 of these. Anyone got any ideas on when they go into mass production after that and when those who haven't pre-ordered could expect availability?

    These look well made and at a decent price point. May put an order in.

  13. #13
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,886
    I contacted them last week.
    They have just appointed an Australian distributer but haven't made this public yet. I could make a guess !

  14. #14
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,886
    They also said that these should be available is Australia in August.

  15. #15
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,668
    I'd doubt they'll make August....

    Production + a few weeks of freight time and the numbers simply don't add up.

    I would however expect we'll see some this year.

    We'll have 9 available (nickel) from our crowdfunding support.
    K_Bean_Coffee likes this.

  16. #16
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,886
    Great. I look forward to reading reviews from first users

  17. #17
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    I'd doubt they'll make August....

    Production + a few weeks of freight time and the numbers simply don't add up.

    I would however expect we'll see some this year.

    We'll have 9 available (nickel) from our crowdfunding support.
    Worked out an approximate price yet Chris?

  18. #18
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,668
    I regret no idea at this point Leroy,

    One I have landed costs I'll then know...

    Cheers

    Chris

  19. #19
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    I'd doubt they'll make August....

    Production + a few weeks of freight time and the numbers simply don't add up.

    I would however expect we'll see some this year.

    We'll have 9 available (nickel) from our crowdfunding support.
    Cool - any way we can put our name on one of these for when they arrive?
    Last edited by skidquinn; 15th June 2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling....

  20. #20
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    I regret no idea at this point Leroy,

    One I have landed costs I'll then know...

    Cheers

    Chris
    No worries, thanks Chris. I'm very keen just tossing up whether I go through Kickstarter or wait for their release.

  21. #21
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,668
    Quote Originally Posted by skidquinn View Post
    Cool - any way we can put our name on one of these for when they arrive?
    Hi Quinn,

    They will be offered initially to CS'ers once they arrive. I am reluctant to offer them for order until I can touch one and am sure that I am happy with them.

    I'm sure you understand...

    Chris

  22. #22
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    125
    Yep makes perfect sense. Will keep a watch out then. Cheers

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    7
    Any news yet, folks?

  24. #24
    Senior Member 2muchcoffeeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    167
    After an interminable wait, I have mine on my bench at home.

    Yet to do anything other than have a play grind.

    Build looks terrific for the price point (no Lido/Hellor/Comandante), but it's clear that mine will need one or both of the supplied shims which were in the packet to get to the espresso zone.

    I'll play tomorrow same coffee/same machine/same pour to see if I can taste anything more from the biggies...

    More to come...

    2mcm

  25. #25
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,886
    [QUOTE=2muchcoffeeman;597354]After an interminable wait, I have mine on my bench at home[//QUOTE]
    Awesome - I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. ....what a long wait.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  26. #26
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    684
    Still waiting for mine to arrive. Sigh.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  27. #27
    Senior Member 2muchcoffeeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    167
    ok....so out of my box (at least), you can forget about espresso... I also seem to have a talent of loosening the lid when I grind as well.

    Installed the 2 x shim shipped with it and found that I could still forget about espresso...(I may have screwed up on the rebuild)...

    Nowhere near as nice to pull down and reassemble as the Lido....

    Will have another try later on...
    Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; 6th January 2017 at 03:03 PM.

  28. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1
    I saw this on Kickstarter and thought it was a good grinder but I was pretty sure it wouldn't make me regret my Lido E-T worth every penny!

  29. #29
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Good afternoon CS'ers,

    So today I received my Handground unexpectedly. What a pleasant surpise after all these years. I think the boys at Handground have done a great job on the final product.

    Quality/ build:
    Feels solid, durable, nice materials. Overall aesthetically pleasing.
    I saw some disgruntled consumers on Instagram saying they had broken this ajd that etc, but so far all the things they mentioned make me think they are very rough with their toys or don't use things as intended. I don't see it breaking easily.

    The stable axle is a nice change in this grinder price range. It's not rocket science, just common sense. Makes a remarkable difference to grind consistency.
    The handle turns easily and the grinder doesn't come off the bench or hip too easily if you use the sticky pad on the bottom. The lid also does not come off when grinding if you out it in place correctly.

    Grind quality:
    The grind quality is exactly what I have been wanting in a hand grinder. It is quite consistent on all settings. This you will not get with any other hand grinder in this price range, I've tried almost all of them, no joke. The crew at Handground seem to have filled the large quality gap in the hand grinder market for the right price.

    Out of the box, forget espresso. Put both shims in straight away if you pull it apart. Make sure to rebuild it properly. It's not very complicated. First go may be confusing is all.
    Once I put both shims in, setting 1 and 1.5 were the only two that worked for espresso on my R58. I tend to require quite the fine grind using vst so that is expected. Note that setting 1 takes forever to grind 20-22g. 6 mins approx. Setting 1.5, 4mins approx. Grinding isn't difficult with this handle and axle design. Setting 1 choked my shot using 21g. Both shots looked and tasted great (one was overextraced).

    Convenience outside of home:
    The grinder is not very compact for travel. It weighs just shy of 800 grams. In a larger hiking bag no problems. I would still take it over the alternative options because the grind quality is worlds apart from the circa $150 range alternatives.

    Best for:
    The grinder is fast and easy to use for anything other than espresso. Those looking to buy for manual brewing and stovetop will love its performance. For the price the product will exceed most expectations.

  30. #30
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,886
    Thanks for the review. Looks like a really great option at about the right price point.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  31. #31
    Senior Member 2muchcoffeeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    167
    Great review Gonzo. Your experience mirrors mine...

    I was a tad frustrated as my kickstarter fund was yet to arrive. The box finally turned up today...
    gonzo89 likes this.

  32. #32
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Thanks for the review. Looks like a really great option at about the right price point.
    Indeed mate it really will cause a stir for that price once the product reaches enough people. The production time post kickstarter campaign has surely stirred mixed emotions towards the brand itself. I hope consumers can look past that and appreciate that they got their hands on a quality product for half the retail price despite the long wait.
    Evert other hand grinder I've tried under $150 (and one ridiculously more expensive one in the same quality category) has failed to create a vastly new experience. Essentially they are all Porlex's in different shells *no offense to Porlex, for the price it does an OK job*.
    This grinder stands apart from the lower category and I can say that no it does not beat the upper category of hand grinders but do take into consideration that those cost twice the price or more. This comes closer to that standard for much less.
    I'll be interested to see how others get on with their new toy.
    Lukemc likes this.

  33. #33
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    Great review Gonzo. Your experience mirrors mine...

    I was a tad frustrated as my kickstarter fund was yet to arrive. The box finally turned up today...
    Thanks mate, sure was a long wait but life went on without it right Then it just turned up as a welcome surprise. Hope more reviews turn up as with every product we need some contrasting experiences to give future owners a good read beforehand.

  34. #34
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    519
    Hi gonzo89 and 2mcm, what's grind speed like compared with Porlex ?

    Will consider getting one of these Handground grinders for use at work. Mostly smaller amounts for Aeropress but sometimes grinding 70g for a full batch in the Brazen.

  35. #35
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Hi gonzo89 and 2mcm, what's grind speed like compared with Porlex ?

    Will consider getting one of these Handground grinders for use at work. Mostly smaller amounts for Aeropress but sometimes grinding 70g for a full batch in the Brazen.
    Hi matthew,

    The Porlex is more of a convenient partner for an aeropress because it fits inside, but Porlex grind quality itself leaves a lot to be desired.

    What you will love about the Handground is the stability you get when grinding. The ergonomic design of the handle allows you to grind quite fast if you want to.
    The speed factor depends on the user, but yes I find the speed is better than a Porlex and those similar to it. All because of the handle design. The burrs are of good quality too.

    I did a little test for you.
    -70g of some old too lightly roasted beans that I kept for breaking in burrs. (Would be much easier with properly roasted beans)

    -setting 3.5 on the Handground (2 shims in grinder). This gives a medium course grind. Perhaps most would go courser for a Brazen.

    - grind time at a medium pace = 3:15 mins
    matth3wh likes this.

  36. #36
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,300
    Can someone possibly post a photo next to something well known like a Porlex or Hario for size comparison?

  37. #37
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Can someone possibly post a photo next to something well known like a Porlex or Hario for size comparison?
    Hey Leroy,

    I no longer have a Porlex, only the little Japanese wooden Milco Grinder.
    But if you have an Aeropress, push the plunger into the bottom half until the bottom of the rubber just passes the 3 mark by about half a cm. That's the height of the Handground

    Otherwise, 21cm H, 14cm W (inlcuding the handle). The handle pokes out about 4cm. Removable but only by allan key.
    LeroyC likes this.

  38. #38
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo89 View Post
    Hey Leroy,

    I no longer have a Porlex, only the little Japanese wooden Milco Grinder.
    But if you have an Aeropress, push the plunger into the bottom half until the bottom of the rubber just passes the 3 mark by about half a cm. That's the height of the Handground

    Otherwise, 21cm H, 14cm W (inlcuding the handle). The handle pokes out about 4cm. Removable but only by allan key.
    Cheers. I have 2 APs so I'll give it a go.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  39. #39
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo89 View Post
    What you will love about the Handground is the stability you get when grinding. The ergonomic design of the handle allows you to grind quite fast if you want to.
    The speed factor depends on the user, but yes I find the speed is better than a Porlex and those similar to it. All because of the handle design. The burrs are of good quality too. - grind time at a medium pace = 3:15 mins

    if you have an Aeropress, push the plunger into the bottom half until the bottom of the rubber just passes the 3 mark by about half a cm. That's the height of the Handground
    Sounds like a good height to me.
    Thank you gonzo. I appreciate you doing that speed test. Very helpful to get a real world idea of timing. Looks like the Handground would be a good addition. I've a funny feeling the porlex will end up going to the back of the cupboard :-)

    (Might have been an early test unit but) I heard a podcast recently that mentioned negatively the quality of the rubber base which left a mark on a counter-top.

    Aside from this, it seems like a good grinder for the price point.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  40. #40
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Great to hear mate

    With properly roasted beans I am sure it could be faster.

    The rubber part on the bottom is the type of sticky mat people stick to their dashboards. I don't see it leaving rubber marks but a bit of the sticky stuff maybe.

  41. #41
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Hi gonzo89 and 2mcm, what's grind speed like compared with Porlex ?
    Hey mate,

    Update:
    Did another test. Ground 60g on setting 4 for cold drip (still medium course).
    I went ballistic on the handle to see how fast I could grind. Ground all that in 1:25. I do mean ballistic though to the point of looking like an idiot. I wouldn't do it in front of anybody haha.
    matth3wh likes this.

  42. #42
    Al
    Al is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eltham, Victoria
    Posts
    43
    One problem I had with the sticky disk when I first got the grinder was that it would stick to everything except the glass grounds container. Giving the container a good clean resolved the issue.

    I timed it at around four minutes for 60g at a setting of 2.5. Sure I could get it quicker if I tried.

    I have a Porlex, Skerton, Tre Spade, Zassenhouse and others I can't remember, right now I like the Handground the best. Looks like it will take over the grinding in my camping and travel kit to go with the aeropress.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  43. #43
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post

    I have a Porlex, Skerton, Tre Spade, Zassenhouse and others I can't remember, right now I like the Handground the best. Looks like it will take over the grinding in my camping and travel kit to go with the aeropress.
    Great to hear mate. I'm feeling the same. I've owned or tested so many models and this just feels and performs so well for the price.

    Do you mean the sticky pad would come off the glass container? Or it did not come attached? Mine came already attached to it.

    On a side note, the glass container feels so solid which I am happy about. Don't see it breaking.
    matth3wh likes this.

  44. #44
    Al
    Al is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eltham, Victoria
    Posts
    43
    Yep, it was attached but kept coming off the glass container. It felt like there was a protective coating on the glass, but it washed off ok.
    A negative of the glass grounds container is that I find some coffee sticking to the inside corners. But as you say it feels good and strong, and it's opening also is the same size as the aeropress opening, so should work well.
    gonzo89 likes this.

  45. #45
    Senior Member 2muchcoffeeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    167
    I've been in contact with Handground support re the inability to produce a fine grind (I'm only barely getting contact at #1) and they have informed that:

    "There have been a small percentage of grinders with similar problems. We are working on tightening the tolerances for these pieces in the next production run. In your case, the grinder might just need a third calibration washer to reach the fine grinds. If a third washer didn't come in the packaging, we can send you a few more. Each one changes the height of the burr by several hundred microns."

    I'll report back once I have some more shims. I'm hoping that another 1 or 2 should solve my issues...
    K_Bean_Coffee likes this.

  46. #46
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    I've been in contact with Handground support re the inability to produce a fine grind (I'm only barely getting contact at #1) and they have informed that:

    "There have been a small percentage of grinders with similar problems. We are working on tightening the tolerances for these pieces in the next production run. In your case, the grinder might just need a third calibration washer to reach the fine grinds. If a third washer didn't come in the packaging, we can send you a few more. Each one changes the height of the burr by several hundred microns."

    I'll report back once I have some more shims. I'm hoping that another 1 or 2 should solve my issues...
    Mine arrived today. As recommended ground 10 grams of coffee at setting 4. It was incredibly coarse, almost as big as instant coffee granules.

    So...two shims later, the burrs appear to be touching ever so slightly at setting 1, but rubbing unevenly, which suggests that the burrs are not properly aligned - which was a big attraction for me in purchasing.

    Ground 22 grams at setting 2 - and the grind is still huge.

    This is really really disappointing.

    Sniff

  47. #47
    Senior Member 2muchcoffeeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    Mine arrived today. As recommended ground 10 grams of coffee at setting 4. It was incredibly coarse, almost as big as instant coffee granules.

    So...two shims later, the burrs appear to be touching ever so slightly at setting 1, but rubbing unevenly, which suggests that the burrs are not properly aligned - which was a big attraction for me in purchasing.

    Ground 22 grams at setting 2 - and the grind is still huge.

    This is really really disappointing.

    Sniff
    Hi Sniff,

    Must say that yours sounds like mine. Handground are sending me some more shims.

    You do want a little touch- or being ceramic, the burrs could seize and break. You will find that it's not an issue with coffee on board- but it sounds as if you will need more shims as well. Handground support seem to be pretty proactive.

    On another note, I thought I'd open another today to see if it was the same. #2 was better and I reckon I'll get espresso with the shims installed.

    The conclusion from all of this is that there is definitely variation. It looks a bit like a lucky dip on grind size out of the box. I have previously and will continue to use my Comandante or a Lido for espresso but I think the Handground will easily eclipse the cheapies- porlex/hario et al.

    2mcm
    matth3wh and gonzo89 like this.

  48. #48
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    Mine arrived today. As recommended ground 10 grams of coffee at setting 4. It was incredibly coarse, almost as big as instant coffee granules.

    So...two shims later, the burrs appear to be touching ever so slightly at setting 1, but rubbing unevenly, which suggests that the burrs are not properly aligned - which was a big attraction for me in purchasing.

    Ground 22 grams at setting 2 - and the grind is still huge.

    This is really really disappointing.

    Sniff
    Wow still huge at setting 2? That can't be good. Are you sure you tightened the thumb nut very tightly upon reassembling it? If it's not tight it will affect how fine you can go. Happened to me after putting the shims in as I was not sure how tight you could go with it.

    As for the play in the way the burrs are configured, I also noted that but wasn't truly bothered as it is quite minimal. For the price, the quality is great. Way less tolerance than all the ones beneath it in price.
    I notice that the play is not in the axle itself. Using a torchlight pointed down into the bean chamber I noticed that the burr does not wobble it is simply not aligned entirely straight by about 1mm and you can easily identify the spot. The only easy modification that I can see to correct this is to remove the lower burr and shove a really thing spacer/shim of sorts inside the burr on the side where thr burr leans unevenly. I will test the solution myself later on and report back.

    I don't see this bothering most people but I can't judge anyone who is bothered by it who was an original backer since we waited so long for them to straighten out all these little things.

  49. #49
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo89 View Post
    Wow still huge at setting 2? That can't be good. Are you sure you tightened the thumb nut very tightly upon reassembling it? If it's not tight it will affect how fine you can go. Happened to me after putting the shims in as I was not sure how tight you could go with it.

    As for the play in the way the burrs are configured, I also noted that but wasn't truly bothered as it is quite minimal. For the price, the quality is great. Way less tolerance than all the ones beneath it in price.
    I notice that the play is not in the axle itself. Using a torchlight pointed down into the bean chamber I noticed that the burr does not wobble it is simply not aligned entirely straight by about 1mm and you can easily identify the spot. The only easy modification that I can see to correct this is to remove the lower burr and shove a really thing spacer/shim of sorts inside the burr on the side where thr burr leans unevenly. I will test the solution myself later on and report back.

    I don't see this bothering most people but I can't judge anyone who is bothered by it who was an original backer since we waited so long for them to straighten out all these little things.
    So I disassembled it again, tried putting the shims in again, and tightened everything up really tight as you suggested gonzo. This time I'm getting a much finer grind, but it takes a hell of a long time to grind it, which I think is due to the burrs not being properly aligned. Still, it's grinding fine enough for what I want (not for espresso purposes).

    This is a relief. I will be using it for about a week whilst on holiday for a week at the coast. I will post an update, if I'm able to (assuming I don't get RSI from winding the handle a bajillion times)

    Sniff
    gonzo89 likes this.

  50. #50
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    So I disassembled it again, tried putting the shims in again, and tightened everything up really tight as you suggested gonzo. This time I'm getting a much finer grind, but it takes a hell of a long time to grind it, which I think is due to the burrs not being properly aligned. Still, it's grinding fine enough for what I want (not for espresso purposes).

    Sniff
    Hey Sniff,

    Glad to hear you got it sorted. It does do pretty well for espresso as I actually got a way over extracted shot on setting 1 on the R58. Not going to lie, it takes one hell of a long time to grind below setting 2, but this was never intended to be an espresso grinder just because it can do it.
    Have not yet had a chance to test my spacer experiment but will report back as soon as I do.

    Regardless of it still taking long to grind, I find the handle and axle allows you to go slowly and not tire yourself out without coming to full halt as I have experienced before with other cheaper grinders. In fact, I find it better to go easier than go fast unless you are trying to set a time record (which I have tried).

    Hope to hear more about your Handground experience soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •