Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mthomas87
  • 1 Post By cfeo
  • 2 Post By DesigningByCoffee
  • 2 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon

Thread: Upgrade from Mazzer Mini

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8

    Upgrade from Mazzer Mini

    Hi folks. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

    I currently have a mazzer mini manual but the sweeping and cleaning is slowly getting to me so I was thinking of upgrading and wondering what the CS consensus is on what to get.

    I only make espresso and was thinking of trying to find either a second hand HG one or versalab m3. I'm after something the same size or smaller than the mazzer mini that is good quality, gives a great grind, is great for single dosing and doesn't look plastic and terrible on the kitchen counter. Manual or electric doesn't bother me, just don't want to have to deal with sweeping and purging all the time.

    Thoughts or alternatives?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    256

    Upgrade from Mazzer Mini

    T64 or the ECM equivalent.

    Against the MM, both are much faster, doserless, and produce high quality grounds and excellent results in the cup. All in a smaller or same size place on the bench.

    I made a very similar upgrade from Macap M4 to the T64.

  3. #3
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,423
    Compak e5, macap m4d

    Lots of options whats your budget

  4. #4
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Hi folks. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

    I currently have a mazzer mini manual but the sweeping and cleaning is slowly getting to me so I was thinking of upgrading and wondering what the CS consensus is on what to get.

    I only make espresso and was thinking of trying to find either a second hand HG one or versalab m3. I'm after something the same size or smaller than the mazzer mini that is good quality, gives a great grind, is great for single dosing and doesn't look plastic and terrible on the kitchen counter. Manual or electric doesn't bother me, just don't want to have to deal with sweeping and purging all the time.

    Thoughts or alternatives?
    M4D or Eureka ATOM

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Hampton
    Posts
    217
    Hi Mthomas,
    M4D are brilliant
    I had a mazzer mini and changed due to the same issues
    Been very happy with mine
    Cheers

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8
    Sub $1000 would be preferable (hence second hand) but I could possibly be convinced to stretch if it's something I'm never going to have to upgrade

  7. #7
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Sub $1000 would be preferable (hence second hand) but I could possibly be convinced to stretch if it's something I'm never going to have to upgrade
    We have the M4D for sub $1000 and the Eureka ATOM for a touch over.
    Feel free to call if we can help.
    Cheers
    Antony
    Casa Espresso
    (03) 9530 8992

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi Mthomas,
    M4D are brilliant
    I had a mazzer mini and changed due to the same issues
    Been very happy with mine
    Cheers
    Hi, would you consider it an upgrade in grind quality though? I would have thought it would be very similar with the same size burrs and similar quality. Not sure I can justify paying for a side-grade.

    I'm also in Sydney if that makes a difference (or if anyone has a secondhand HG One or M3 they're looking to offload).
    Heston likes this.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    T64 or the ECM equivalent.

    Against the MM, both are much faster, doserless, and produce high quality grounds and excellent results in the cup. All in a smaller or same size place on the bench.

    I made a very similar upgrade from Macap M4 to the T64.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at the T64. Hadn't come across that one yet. Do you brush out the chute or have some sort of purging routing?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    256
    Literally a 1 second purge for the first round of the day and that's it.

    The funnel stays clean as.

  11. #11
    Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Casula (SW Sydney)
    Posts
    76
    I would say the T64 probably isn't ideal for single dosing due to the grind retention. You can't brush it out unless you remove the antistatic screen so you have to purge. Otherwise great grinder that will last years.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 1 Week Ago at 07:49 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5

    Upgrade from Mazzer Mini

    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Hi folks. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

    I currently have a mazzer mini manual but the sweeping and cleaning is slowly getting to me so I was thinking of upgrading and wondering what the CS consensus is on what to get.

    I only make espresso and was thinking of trying to find either a second hand HG one or versalab m3. I'm after something the same size or smaller than the mazzer mini that is good quality, gives a great grind, is great for single dosing and doesn't look plastic and terrible on the kitchen counter. Manual or electric doesn't bother me, just don't want to have to deal with sweeping and purging all the time.

    Thoughts or alternatives?
    I think you may like the HG-1. The manufacturing quality is unbelievable. Even the end caps for the grinder handles are CNC'd aluminum. I never saw one for sale second hand here in Australia. You may have to wait a long time for a second hand unit to come up, if at all, in Australia.

    It's great for single dosing and if you are trying different beans. The grind adjustment mechanism is fantastic and much better than the first HG-1 version many years ago.

    I have espresso so I am not changing the grind by large steps if at all. It takes me about 20 seconds to grind 22grams of beans. You can put all the beans in at once or do so in two or three parts, as the less beans in, the easier to grind.

    The size is ideal and it doesn't look heavy on the bench.

    The manufacturer has shipping sales where the shipping cost is reduced to $95USD which is much less than what the shipping cost would otherwise be, even with the exchange rate. This is how I purchased mine recently. My budget was $1500AUD.

    So far, I don't think I will ever need another grinder.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5
    As you mentioned cleaning, just thought I would add, it takes me about 20 seconds to clean the top burr and bottom burr area after grinding on my HG-1.
    matth3wh likes this.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the info cfeo. Looking back through the sold items on here I think I saw one m3 and one HG-1 (really hard to search for though because the search engine says the word is too short).

  15. #15
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,598
    Hi MThomas,

    Please take a look and click through filters in my grinder finder here:

    www.kbean.com.au/coffee-grinders/

    Cheers, Paul

  16. #16
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Hi, would you consider it an upgrade in grind quality though? I would have thought it would be very similar with the same size burrs and similar quality. Not sure I can justify paying for a side-grade.
    You are not going to notice a difference in the cup at your budget. You are getting speed and cleanliness.

  17. #17
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    1,795
    If you don't mind manual - a Lido-E
    The flavour profile is as close to a big conical as you're likely to get. No retention. Great for swapping / trialing beans. And you can take it on hols!
    Cheers Matt
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    You are not going to notice a difference in the cup at your budget. You are getting speed and cleanliness.
    Trawling through the sold items here I've seen a HG-1 go for $1000 and an M3 go for $1600. If that's an end-game kind of home grinder then I don't mind waiting around for another one to pop up or if it's worthwhile and the sweeping is really driving me crazy I could be convinced to order a new HG-1 (definitely not a new M3 though).

    Curious as to whether the HG-1 is a better way to go than the T64 or something similar as new they're not too dissimilar in price.

    DesigningByCoffee: How different is the Lido-E to something like the porlex? I have one of those and an aeropress for trips/camping.

  19. #19
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    265
    DesigningByCoffee: How different is the Lido-E to something like the porlex? I have one of those and an aeropress for trips/camping.[/QUOTE]

    The Lido and Commandate are very different beasts from the Porlex. The Porlex is a great match for the aero press but I wouldn't recommend it for espresso grind.
    Both the Lido and Comandante will give conical style electric grinder results.

    Cheers
    Antony
    Casa Espresso

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Trawling through the sold items here I've seen a HG-1 go for $1000 and an M3 go for $1600. If that's an end-game kind of home grinder then I don't mind waiting around for another one to pop up or if it's worthwhile and the sweeping is really driving me crazy I could be convinced to order a new HG-1 (definitely not a new M3 though).

    Curious as to whether the HG-1 is a better way to go than the T64 or something similar as new they're not too dissimilar in price.

    DesigningByCoffee: How different is the Lido-E to something like the porlex? I have one of those and an aeropress for trips/camping.
    I considered the Lido-E and it would be something I might get later for trips away. I use the HG-1 as a bench grinder for everyday use. I would say the main difference when I was considering grinders was the T64 is a flat burr grinder and I wanted a conical grinder as I believe conical grinders give a better taste. Not that everyone can tell, or cares, I just wanted the conical (my prior grinder was a conical).

  21. #21
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    DesigningByCoffee: How different is the Lido-E to something like the porlex? I have one of those and an aeropress for trips/camping.
    The Lido and Commandate are very different beasts from the Porlex. The Porlex is a great match for the aero press but I wouldn't recommend it for espresso grind.
    Both the Lido and Comandante will give conical style electric grinder results.

    Cheers
    Antony
    Casa Espresso[/QUOTE]

    Second the above. Absolutely no comparison when it comes to espresso.
    I've got the Lido 2, which I bought for holiday aeropress use & roast sampling for espresso before I began dosing the big conical. I was shocked at how good it was back to back with the Robur. In fact, I think that the Lido gives a superior result to a single dosed Robur - richer & better crema. Not much, but some!
    Be aware though, at espresso settings, it is a work-out. So large entertaining may be a drama! I think the Lido-E is a slightly finer burr so easier on the arm

  22. #22
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,039
    Yep. I have a Porlex Mini and a Lido E-T. For occasioanl aeropress use the Porlex is fine, but if you are going to be using it for an extended period it gets a bit wearing on the shoulder joint. It also fits nicely inside the Aeropress. Because I'll frequently spend a couple of months overseas, last year I relented and bought the Lido E-T. While it is overkill for Aeropress work, it is twice as quick as the Porlex, and much easier on my shoulder (for 5 of the last 9 months I used it 3 times daily).

  23. #23
    Site Sponsor K_Bean_Coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Beaumaris, Victoria
    Posts
    2,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    The Lido and Commandate are very different beasts from the Porlex. The Porlex is a great match for the aero press but I wouldn't recommend it for espresso grind.
    Both the Lido and Comandante will give conical style electric grinder results.
    So true. For manual brew I like Porlex and Handground. For espresso Lido and Comandante are the way to go.
    Cheers, Paul

  24. #24
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    922
    Porlex - ew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •