Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
Results 1,801 to 1,831 of 1831
Like Tree1358Likes

Thread: Whats in my coffee roaster this week

  1. #1801
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    1,911
    Some Aceh Danau for this week, taken a little darker to 220į, just before second crack. Good acidity and tang, thick body and big, gelatinous crema as a doppio this morning, with plenty of 'grunt' due to the slightly darker roast…

    20180205-AcehDanau800g25amb.jpg
    Dimal and Hipsi like this.

  2. #1802
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Details...
    Ethiopia Biftu Gesha SunDried... 400g
    Indo. Aceh Danau Laut Tawar... 350g
    Roasted Weight... 638g
    Moisture Loss... 14.93%
    Tried a quick brew today just to see how this combo is travelling.
    In a word - Fantastic!!!

    It is so sweet and fruity, it is astounding to be honest.
    Initially, loads of a rich amalgamation of muscatels, raisins and juicy sultanas then topping out with a peachy, nectarine hit that is quite intense. Huge body and impressive acidity that tingles across the palate, completed by an extended finish that is very reminiscent of the wonderful Cote d'Ivoire Red African Cocoa we bought from BeanBay a while ago - So rich and (dark) chocolatey.

    There was a hint of the soft spices too (cardamom, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg) which I'm sure will become more predominant as the flavours further develop. Can't wait.

    Highly recommend this as a blend for anyone who appreciates the flavour traits I have described above. You won't be disappointed...

    Mal.

  3. #1803
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,526
    Roasted 750 grams of Brazil pulped natural this AM, usual roast, quite dark.

    Pulled a shot straight out of the roaster, bit harsh, mobs of crema, I'm sure it will settle down and drink nicely over the next few days.

    Wish I had the descriptive/poetic ability of Omar Dimal, I tend to use simple terms - I like it and its crap seem to cover a lot of territory.
    Dimal likes this.

  4. #1804
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Tried a quick brew today just to see how this combo is travelling.
    In a word - Fantastic!!!

    It is so sweet and fruity, it is astounding to be honest.
    Initially, loads of a rich amalgamation of muscatels, raisins and juicy sultanas then topping out with a peachy, nectarine hit that is quite intense. Huge body and impressive acidity that tingles across the palate, completed by an extended finish that is very reminiscent of the wonderful Cote d'Ivoire Red African Cocoa we bought from BeanBay a while ago - So rich and (dark) chocolatey.

    There was a hint of the soft spices too (cardamom, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg) which I'm sure will become more predominant as the flavours further develop. Can't wait.

    Highly recommend this as a blend for anyone who appreciates the flavour traits I have described above. You won't be disappointed...

    Mal.
    Sounds..... a......... maaaaaazing haha

  5. #1805
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Sounds..... a......... maaaaaazing haha
    And... I was truly amazed by the complexity and huge flavours on offer...

    Mal.
    simonsk8r likes this.

  6. #1806
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Roasted 750 grams of Brazil pulped natural this AM, usual roast, quite dark.

    Pulled a shot straight out of the roaster, bit harsh, mobs of crema, I'm sure it will settle down and drink nicely over the next few days.
    Been meaning to ask Yelta, you often pull shots straight from the roaster, how do you find them flavourwise? Do you find it still comes through ok? Obviously it develops better over time, but just wondering how it pulls up straight outta the roster?

  7. #1807
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Been meaning to ask Yelta, you often pull shots straight from the roaster, how do you find them flavourwise? Do you find it still comes through ok? Obviously it develops better over time, but just wondering how it pulls up straight outta the roster?
    Usually pretty harsh Simon, I just cant help myself, they improve out of sight after degassing for a few days.
    Dimal, greenman and Janus like this.

  8. #1808
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Usually pretty harsh Simon, I just cant help myself, they improve out of sight after degassing for a few days.
    Haha yeah fair enough, I have to hold myself back haha

  9. #1809
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Details...
    Ethiopia Biftu Gesha SunDried... 400g
    Indo. Aceh Danau Laut Tawar... 350g
    Roasted Weight... 638g
    Moisture Loss... 14.93%
    This really is developing into a most wonderful combo...

    Tried again today in the Brazen, as a pour-over and as an espresso via the Flair.
    From the instant the beans were being ground, the entire kitchen exploded in the most exotic dark berry aromas, mainly boysenberry to my senses, coupled with a super rich dark chocolate aroma. And if that wasn't already enough, these 'heady' aromas hung around for more than half-an-hour afterwards...

    In the cup(s), these were then further increased in complexity with the addition of loads of soft spices, mostly cardamom and cinnamon. Then, while sipping the resulting brews and sitting the cup beside me, the chocolatey boysenberry aromas continued to be discharged from the cup into the immediate atmosphere around me.

    Talk about a wonderful coffee experience; one of the best I've had for a long, long time...

    Mal.
    greenman, simonsk8r, Yelta and 1 others like this.

  10. #1810
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    Couple of batches this week.

    Tuesday was a batch from a Kenyan microlot sample pack that I won in a competition- ĎKenya Karatu AB microlotí. Havenít got a photo of it sorry. I was concerned that Iíd hit it with a bit too much heat, but after trying it in the Aeropress today Iím fairly happy with it. Maybe I havenít realised itís full potential with this particular roast, but it was certainly good enough to keep me happy.
    From memory it went something like:
    250g batch
    200-P1 auto
    P3, C & D at first crack which was around the 10min mark.
    Cooled at around 11:30 I think (sorry, donít have my notes with me)
    Moisture loss - 13.6%


    Todayís roast was Peru San Ignacio. The last batch was beautiful and Iíve managed to replicate it today so Iím pretty confident this will be a good one too.
    250g-200-P1auto
    P4 & D at 10min
    P3 & C at first crack (about 10:30)
    P2 at 11:30
    Cool at 12:15
    Moisture loss - 14.2%


  11. #1811
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    303
    Did a roast of Kona Fancy from this months Bean Bay offering. Was a little surprised by the amount of heat needed to get it going but once I hit first crack it was a bit quick for my liking. More like rice bubbles popping then nice roll of cracks every half second or so.
    Yet to try it. Hopefully tomorrow morning!

  12. #1812
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Mal, i have both these beans, am going to give the same ratio a go tonight, will report back

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    This really is developing into a most wonderful combo...

    Tried again today in the Brazen, as a pour-over and as an espresso via the Flair.
    From the instant the beans were being ground, the entire kitchen exploded in the most exotic dark berry aromas, mainly boysenberry to my senses, coupled with a super rich dark chocolate aroma. And if that wasn't already enough, these 'heady' aromas hung around for more than half-an-hour afterwards...

    In the cup(s), these were then further increased in complexity with the addition of loads of soft spices, mostly cardamom and cinnamon. Then, while sipping the resulting brews and sitting the cup beside me, the chocolatey boysenberry aromas continued to be discharged from the cup into the immediate atmosphere around me.

    Talk about a wonderful coffee experience; one of the best I've had for a long, long time...

    Mal.
    Dimal likes this.

  13. #1813
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193

    Whats in my coffee roaster this week




    The Dimal blend, dropped at 218c to cool.

    And a batch of Yirgacheffe special prep, because well, how can you not?... such a great bean.
    Last edited by Janus; 6 Days Ago at 08:51 PM.
    Dimal and simonsk8r like this.

  14. #1814
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post


    The Dimal blend, dropped at 218c to cool.
    Hehe the Dimal blend! Patent pending, patent pending!

    Looks great
    Dimal and Janus like this.

  15. #1815
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193

    Whats in my coffee roaster this week

    Itís the darkest Iíve taken a roast so far, took the Yirg to 217 too, looking forward to sampling in a few days.

  16. #1816
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Will be very interested to discover what your take on this blend is Janus, especially as you use a drum roaster, there's bound to be differences...

    Mal.

  17. #1817
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Unfortunately i don't have your eloquence, nor ability to differentiate flavours. I'll certainly let you know if we enjoy it or not I think more the feedback will be how we enjoy the darker roast' as until now i don't think i've gone much past 210-212c. The beans certainly look nice, and no oils appearing on the surface which is a good start. My nose a little blocked last night so wasn't able to get much of the aroma.

  18. #1818
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    My nose a little blocked last night so wasn't able to get much of the aroma.
    Ah, bugger...

    Hope you get your nose back soon.

    Mal.

  19. #1819
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193

    Whats in my coffee roaster this week

    Just made a couple of iced latte (ice cubes, milk and coffee) with the MalBlend(TM). The wifeís comment was ďif you can make coffee like this consistently, you can open a coffee shop, beautiful coffeeĒ. Definitely enjoyed the blend and the darker roast. Looking forward to our regular Bonsoy FW tomorrow morning.

    One side point was I noticed it was much easier to grind using my ROK grinder than more lightly roast beans, itís an easy machine to use for any roast level, but these beans were very easy to grind. Wondering if I need a new grinder though, would like to be able to go even finer, Iíve got the ROK dialed up pretty tight already..

    One question Mal, do you get a small amount of oil on the surface or just showing sometimes at the tips with the darker roasts?
    The blend tonight after a few days sitting, very little oil, couple of spots though:
    Dimal and greenman like this.

  20. #1820
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    One question Mal, do you get a small amount of oil on the surface or just showing sometimes at the tips with the darker roasts?
    The blend tonight after a few days sitting, very little oil, couple of spots though:
    G'day Janus...

    Probably get a few beans with little spots of oil after 4-7 days resting. Nothing significant though, even as we approach the bottom of the bag.

    Mal.

  21. #1821
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    303
    To add to Mal's comments, I find that it happens more in iced coffees - particularly when you pour straight onto ice. I find it also happens if I haven't warmed the cup with some hot water as well. Thinking maybe some of the oil cools and groups together away from the water (the whole polar/non-polar mix) but not sure if this is really a thing!

  22. #1822
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    A batch of Timor CCT FTO today. Managed to get the profile spot on so should be as good as last time hopefully.

    Dimal likes this.

  23. #1823
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193

    Whats in my coffee roaster this week

    This morning's Bonsoy FW was received as "too strong", I'll drop the temperature on the brew slightly, and maybe cut the shot shorter.. the brew pressure didn't hit the peak zone, so maybe i need to grind a touch finer, pack more in or pack it harder to reduce the volume over the brew time.
    I'm using a VST basket, they really do require a finer grind.

    We also use a very small cup, might be time for some actual coffee cups?
    Last edited by Janus; 3 Days Ago at 04:54 PM.

  24. #1824
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    One side point was I noticed it was much easier to grind using my ROK grinder than more lightly roast beans, it’s an easy machine to use for any roast level, but these beans were very easy to grind.
    Yup. Darker roasts tend to be softer, quieter and easier to grind (unless you counter the added time it takes to darker them, by roasting faster!). It's a bit scary, but these days I can actually hear the difference with a harder/softer bean/roast as it goes through the Robur
    Dimal likes this.

  25. #1825
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Day 4 and both the MalMix(tm) and the Yirgacheffe are coming into their own, very very nice. More oil on the Yirgacheffe beans than the DimBlend(tm), however doesnít seem to effect flavours negatively.
    Dimal likes this.

  26. #1826
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
    Yup. Darker roasts tend to be softer, quieter and easier to grind (unless you counter the added time it takes to darker them, by roasting faster!). It's a bit scary, but these days I can actually hear the difference with a harder/softer bean/roast as it goes through the Robur
    It seems to lubricate the grind set too, the grinder runs smoother with the beans in it that without any beans at all where you can feel the grind set running.

  27. #1827
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Sunday roast session, Rati Hartmann, Colombian Vulcan Galeras, Sulawesi Blue (2 roasts, wasn't happy with first).

    Rati Hartmann: Loaded at 200c, FC at 194c ,cooled at 215c. 16.3% moisture loss. Smells amazing and sweet, best aroma i've had straight after cooling. For the temperature i dropped for cooling this is visually the darkest roast of the evening:
    Rati Hartmann 18.2.18.jpg
    20180218-140gRatiHartmann.jpg

    Colombian Vulcan Galeras Special: Loaded at 193c, FC at 197c, cooled at 216c. 15.92% moisture loss. The lightest overall roast visually (very consistent colouring). Smells amazing off the roaster too, very sweet.
    Colombian Vulcan 18.2.18.jpg
    20180218-140gColombianVulcan.jpg
    Dimal likes this.

  28. #1828
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193
    Sulawesi blue: I haven't been happy with any of my roasts on this bean, they have an unpleasant aroma, and nothing impressive in the cup. On my new found darker roasts after trying out Mal's blend, i figured i'd try again with a darker roast. This first roast the beans had a very woody aroma after cooling, it's not pleasant. loaded 200c, FC 200c, cooled 215c. Moisture loss 14.66%. Also the colouring was still a bit mottled, there were a lot of lighter areas on the beans.
    Sulawesi 1st roast 18.2.18.jpg
    20180218-140gSulawesiBlue.jpg

    Having such strong woody aromas, decided i'd have another go (1st Sulawesi roast above was my 2nd for the night, followed by the Colombian). I figured that maybe i'm rushing the beans on the drying phase as the moisture loss for the first roast was only 14.66%, where the Rati Hartmann beans had 16.3% at the same temperature (the Rati are a smaller bean). So, i loaded 10c lower at 190c, i used lower heat and i used more air, then i took the beans 4c higher to cool at 219c. This resulted in a 15.6% moisture loss, there's still some woodiness in the aroma just after cooling, however much less than the first roast. Colouring better on the 2nd roast Look forward to comparing.
    Sulawesi 2nd 18.2.18.jpg
    20180218-140gSulawesiBlue2.jpg

    I'll see how these go, i might try pushing them even further and keeping the ramp up slow and cool around 221-222c if the results from the above roasts aren't to our liking.

    If anyone has comments on my thought process with the Sulawesi this evening, i'd appreciate any ideas from the group

    Edit: Sorry not sure why all the photos ended up sideways.

  29. #1829
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Don't get too hung up on the overall appearance of Indo. beans.
    They can look very mottled, as you say, but that won't normally detract from the result in the cup.

    It's always going to be difficult to translate what I do with my Corretto to the multitude of variations you can try with your small drum roaster. What I have found worked well with the Sulawesi Blue, was to accelerate the gradient up to about 14-15C/Minute from the end of the Maillard phase of the roast until just before 1st-Crack started and then revert back to 4-5C/Minute after 1st-Crack gets a roll on. Overall roast time was around 18 minutes.

    I found it to be a very nice, rich and almost savoury addition to Ismaili and some Ethiopian blends. Great to use in a typical Mocha Coffee blend...

    Mal.

  30. #1830
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    193

    Whats in my coffee roaster this week

    Thanks Mal, Iíll see how these taste later this week and report back. The woody smell did dissipate after 30 minutes or so in the kitchen bowl.

    Iím excited to taste the Panama and Colombian, if the initial aromas are anything to go by they will both be delicious.

    Have gone back to the regular stock basket, the VST Iím sure are excellent however I think they need a more capable grinder, seems the coffee needs to be ground very fine to get best results.
    Dimal likes this.

  31. #1831
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    15,663
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Never used the VST baskets myself.
    After grabbing a couple of EP Precision baskets from Chris at Talk Coffee, that was it for me - Perfect...

    Mal.
    Yelta and Janus like this.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37

Similar Threads

  1. Roasters Week NEXT WEEK 15-19th of March 2010
    By beanflying in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17th March 2010, 03:25 PM
  2. Your coffee week
    By madpierre06 in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th March 2010, 11:28 AM
  3. A Week Without Coffee (or tea)
    By gregpullman in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23rd September 2009, 08:23 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th March 2009, 02:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •