Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Unmodified popper troubleshooting

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    39

    Question Unmodified popper troubleshooting

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    G'day all.

    I've only done 3 roasts in the Target 900w popper and I keep getting too far into SC, so much so that flecks start popping off the beans and they end up being burnt.

    They look like the beans in the video below at 3:33.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/...e-degree-roast
    I have read the guide below for tips on this.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...icks-mods.html

    My last roast was stopped at about 7min with ambient temp around 25deg and a 80g batch. FC was reached about 3:30. After studying Sweet Maria's video above I understand that SC is very fast, so now I understand that I should stop just as SC is starting by listening for the fast pops.

    Any advice from anybody about my burned beans?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    17,208
    Roasting is a sensory experience, more so on a popper which does everything twice as fast.

    In time you will know where to stop the roast and to cool your beans (quickly) to stop the roast continuing.

    Try with a small load, it is counterintuitive to most roasters. Typically to slow a roast down you put more beans and the same heat application, on a popper adding more beans slows the agitation and they cook faster.

    Try 60g, they will move around very fast and roast a little slower... you might find that helps you define first and second cracks easier.

  3. #3
    Senior Member deegee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane Southside
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by javaNOTcode View Post
    G'day all. I've only done 3 roasts in the Target 900w popper and I keep getting too far into SC, so much so that flecks start popping off the beans and they end up being burnt. Any advice from anybody about my burned beans? Thanks
    G'day javaNOTcode, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. If it is what to do with the beans you have already burned, then the answer is try them, but if they taste bad, bin them. There is no way to get anything useful from them.

    If you are asking for how to prevent future batches from the same fate, try Andy's suggestion, it should help a little. You could also try stopping the process about one to two minutes after first crack judging by the colour of the beans rather than listening for second crack, and as Andy has said, it all happens very fast with a popper, so you have to be quick !. The little chips or divots are caused more by the fast heat increase than the final temperature reached, so you may still get some of them even if you stop earlier.

    You could also have a look at this thread : http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...-than-one.html

    The earlier posts in the thread are worth reading, but not what you need at present. What you want is from post #22 to #28 . Note the parts about turning the fan off if and when necessary.

    There seems to be quite a lot of variation in those Target poppers, and you seem to have one that has more grunt than most, which may be handy now that the weather is starting to cool down.

    Cheers, deegee.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,376
    Also, once you stop the popper, get the beans out as soon as possible. Sitting in contact with the hot popper they will continue to roast. Don't tip it up whilst on though, unless you want beans everywhere

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    369
    You can slow the roast by tilting or jiggling the popper.

    As the beans move more in the air stream the air flow increases and so the temperature decreases.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    39
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Roasting is a sensory experience, more so on a popper which does everything twice as fast.
    Thanks for the wise words! Learning that the popper is such a fast roaster is really important. I just read in another article on poppers is that you must be prepared to waste at least your first batch to calibrate your future roasts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Try 60g, they will move around very fast and roast a little slower... you might find that helps you define first and second cracks easier.
    I'll try 60g and watch and learn!

    Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. If it is what to do with the beans you have already burned, then the answer is try them, but if they taste bad, bin them. There is no way to get anything useful from them.
    Sorry about that. I should have been more clear as to what advice I needed... It's been two days now, so I'll try them out. Most likely they will be too charred to be tasty!

    Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    You could also try stopping the process about one to two minutes after first crack judging by the colour of the beans rather than listening for second crack, and as Andy has said, it all happens very fast with a popper, so you have to be quick !. The little chips or divots are caused more by the fast heat increase than the final temperature reached, so you may still get some of them even if you stop earlier.
    Yes, I now understand that because the roast is so fast I don't have time to judge the cracks. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    The earlier posts in the thread are worth reading, but not what you need at present. What you want is from post #22 to #28 . Note the parts about turning the fan off if and when necessary.
    From your post in #22 it looks like getting an ideal result from a popper is definitely MODIFICATION! Learning from post #28 however I need to uderstand that I'm going to chuck beans out as part of the learning process. *Sigh*

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Also, once you stop the popper, get the beans out as soon as possible.
    Thanks for the tip. That's one thing I have been doing at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by don_nairn View Post
    You can slow the roast by tilting or jiggling the popper.
    Thanks don. I have only tried tipping and stirring, not jiggling. Beans might go everywhere if I did that!



    Sorry about the long-winded post, hopefully it's not too hard to read...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •