Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tigrych2000
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By Lovey
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon

Thread: Behmor P1600 Plus what is minimum time between roasts?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4

    Behmor P1600 Plus what is minimum time between roasts?

    Hi Everyone! I've seen different figures on the subject. Minimum 1 hour between roasts would be more common, but I've seen other advises. What would be the safest yet realistic from the esteemed community experience?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    136
    If you roast and then complete the appropriate cooling cycle you should be able to roast/cool back to back pretty much indefinitely. I usually open the door and point a fan into the drum to help it cool a little faster as well.

    Keep in mind though every 10-15 roasts (maybe less?) you should do a cleaning cycle and do a P1 roast with no beans to burn off any excess oils/grime that has accumulated and then wipe it down with some basic non-toxic household cleaner.

    I once did 5 roasts back to back without letting the cool cycle finish and got part way through the 6th and it overheated, shut down and lost the roast. Live and learn ey.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    WhatEverBeansNecessary, thank you very much for your comment and tips! I think the 1 hour break comes from the manual (along with a strange prohibition to roast outdoors). Good to know it works regardless - as common sense would have you believe.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    136
    Most welcome.

    I probably wouldn't do 5+ roasts back to back again (even letting it cool), just to be on the safe side. But 3/4 in a row, not a problem as long as it cools. The team behind Behmor put a heap of science into the machine and hence it works so damn well is popular!

    I never did get the roasting outdoors prohibition. A lot of people (including the wife) don't like the smell of roasting coffee, so I always roast outside. Plus the chaff goes freaking everywhere.

  5. #5
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,560
    Just because it's able to roast back to back doesn't mean you should. Joe Behm is quite firm on this as he says it's really hard on the electronics. Even though the thermocouples have cooled enough to allow the system to fire up again some of the other internals will still be hot, for up to an hour apparently depending on your ambient conditions as well as the length and temps of the previous roast. The two things you risk are an electrical fault that requires a part to be replaced to fix it or just a general shortening of the life of the machine. The hour that Behmor recommends you leave between roasts obviously has a bit of a buffer built into it. Personally I'd recommend a minimum of 20-30min to avoid the chance of any problems.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,184
    I give it about 10 minutes after end of cooling cycle (and vacuuming out the roaster), and then start again. Never do more than 3 roasts in one day...normally 2. Have done so most weekends for the last 2 1/2 years with no ill effects. Doing the recommended periodic cleaning of fans / outlets probably helps too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lovey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Coast NSW
    Posts
    802
    If the manual says 1 hour between roasts, why not stick to that? The roaster has been engineered and the manual written up that way for a reason, which is to ensure the longevity of the machine. I'm sure you could find something else to do for an hour to keep yourself occupied between roasts. If you need to do that much roasting that you have to flog a small capacity home roaster by doing multiple 'back to back' roasts, maybe it's time to look for a bigger capacity machine.
    Also, (this isn't directed at anyone BTW) if you're going to 'tell the world' on a forum how many roasts you can do in a row without letting the roaster rest for the recommended time between them, you may find your warranty null and void. Just a thought.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey View Post
    If the manual says 1 hour between roasts, why not stick to that? The roaster has been engineered and the manual written up that way for a reason, which is to ensure the longevity of the machine. I'm sure you could find something else to do for an hour to keep yourself occupied between roasts. If you need to do that much roasting that you have to flog a small capacity home roaster by doing multiple 'back to back' roasts, maybe it's time to look for a bigger capacity machine.
    Also, (this isn't directed at anyone BTW) if you're going to 'tell the world' on a forum how many roasts you can do in a row without letting the roaster rest for the recommended time between them, you may find your warranty null and void. Just a thought.
    The manual also says not to roast outdoors, and not to use an extension cord. The content of the manual reflects a variety of purposes, possibly including limiting legal liability in a particularly litigious jurisdiction (the US), and dealing with problems with low voltage power supply in the States. Obviously, you don't want to unduly stress your machine, but if you keep the machine clean and use a bit of common sense (e.g. don't start a roast if the machine is obviously still warm) I don't think you're running a great risk. But...to each their own.
    Lovey likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lovey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Coast NSW
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    The manual also says not to roast outdoors, and not to use an extension cord. The content of the manual reflects a variety of purposes, possibly including limiting legal liability in a particularly litigious jurisdiction (the US), and dealing with problems with low voltage power supply in the States. Obviously, you don't want to unduly stress your machine, but if you keep the machine clean and use a bit of common sense (e.g. don't start a roast if the machine is obviously still warm) I don't think you're running a great risk. But...to each their own.
    I agree that the manual is there to cater to the lowest common denominator, hence the large amount of instructions/recommendations/restrictions. I'd just hate to be the one who had a warranty claim knocked back because I didn't comply with the instruction book and then told everyone about it .
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,184
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey View Post
    I agree that the manual is there to cater to the lowest common denominator, hence the large amount of instructions/recommendations/restrictions. I'd just hate to be the one who had a warranty claim knocked back because I didn't comply with the instruction book and then told everyone about it .
    It's ok Lord Vader. Just make sure that you post under another name and they'll never guess it was you

    But to be honest, the major risks to the machine derive from a lack of regular maintenance / cleaning (ignoring Darwin awards applicants).
    Lovey likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •