Results 1 to 38 of 38
Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Journeyman
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 4 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 2 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By magnafunk
  • 4 Post By magnafunk
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By matth3wh

Thread: Double thick cream in a Lungo.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112

    Double thick cream in a Lungo.

    With most of the milk forum concerned with health I thought it a good time to look at the decadent side of things.

    For me this consists of adding a couple of heaped teaspoons of double thick cream to a Lungo, float it on the top after you have pulled the shot, wonderful.

    My cream of choice is double thick Pura.
    matth3wh likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    226
    Sounds like my kinda drink Yelta
    Is your Lungo a single or double ratio to the two heaped teaspoons of double thick cream?
    I have had a single espresso with a dash of pouring cream, sprinkled with a pinch of cardamom and nutmeg. Yummmy

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Sounds like my kinda drink Yelta
    Is your Lungo a single or double ratio to the two heaped teaspoons of double thick cream?
    I have had a single espresso with a dash of pouring cream, sprinkled with a pinch of cardamom and nutmeg. Yummmy
    My version of a Lungo = 18 grams coffee in a single basket ground to give me a pour of approx 90ml in 30 seconds, use as much or as little cream as you want, nothing is cast in stone.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Journeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    1,028
    Anything is better with pure cream. Add a shot of kahlua and half a shot of brandy for a superb Café Royale!.

    Had a friend try to be nice and add cream to my coffee - thickened style. Large oily puddles on top and a not-particularly-nice smell to it.
    summercrema likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    My version of a Lungo = 18 grams coffee in a single basket ground to give me a pour of approx 90ml in 30 seconds, use as much or as little cream as you want, nothing is cast in stone.

    This is awesome

    So, because im such a noob does that mean you "overdose" your single basket with a courser grind?

    I might be making assumptions here, because not all double/single baskets are the same, but at lease with the BDB BES900 i use 13g on single basket and 18g on a double. Which pours 30/60 ml in around 25-35s .

    Im Def going to try this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    With most of the milk forum concerned with health I thought it a good time to look at the decadent side of things.

    For me this consists of adding a couple of heaped teaspoons of double thick cream to a Lungo, float it on the top after you have pulled the shot, wonderful.

    My cream of choice is double thick Pura.
    Thought I would bump this, still reckon the addition of quality cream to a Lungo now and again is the height of decadence.
    Dimal and magnafunk like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,156
    You wanna get out more often Yelta

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Yeah, I know, thought it would make a bit of a change to the (My Breville/Sunbeam is broke) posts.

  9. #9
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley, WA
    Posts
    478
    I very occasionally use a darker roast and make a strong cup of filter to which I add double cream and (gasp) sugar. It's not snobby, but it is delicious.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Yeah, I know, thought it would make a bit of a change to the (My Breville/Sunbeam is broke) posts.
    It was a brief breath of fresh air Yelta... thx ;-)
    chokkidog likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    I very occasionally use a darker roast and make a strong cup of filter to which I add double cream and (gasp) sugar. It's not snobby, but it is delicious.
    Sounds good mate "not snobby" don't know where you got that idea, I reckon it's right up there.
    chokkidog likes this.

  12. #12
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    15,376
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have fond memories of ordering a Vienna coffee... in Vienna 20 years ago.

    Sitting on 500 year old cobblestones outside a 300 year old cafe a couple of blocks down the road from Beethoven's house... sipping an average coffee through a layer of heavy cream in fine china tea cup --- it broke all the "snob rules" but has remained one of the most memorable coffees just the same.
    matth3wh likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    I very occasionally use a darker roast and make a strong cup of filter to which I add double cream and (gasp) sugar. It's not snobby, but it is delicious.
    Excellent idea.

    I am partial to Viennese coffee.... Double cream in the bottom of the cup with a "strong" shot on top. Extras can be added as needs dicatate.

    Yummy.


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    163
    Oh speaking of sugar!

    What type of sugar is favoured in the cup for those who add it?

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21
    When I was living in Switzerland and had to give up on a drinkable cup of tea anywhere, out of desperation I took to ordering espresso with cream. This was the sweetened whipped cream from a can and it became my default drink in cafes. The rest is history, I became a daily coffee drinker and upon return to Oz mostly short macs. I would love to occassionally have a coffee with whipped cream at home but alas you can only buy a large can of the whipped cream which goes off quite quickly. Suffice to say I am partial to an affagato as a dessert too.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeedreamer View Post

    s. I would love to occassionally have a coffee with whipped cream at home but alas you can only buy a large can of the whipped cream which goes off quite quickly. Suffice to say I am partial to an affagato as a dessert too.
    Another option is using a very cheap hand held beater, a 300ml container of cream and creating your own. I use that method as I prefer the extra body in the cream whipped that way.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21
    that's an idea. I usually whip up a lot of cream over Xmas so I will now be diverting some to my coffee...

  18. #18
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
    Oh speaking of sugar!

    What type of sugar is favoured in the cup for those who add it?
    Organic, unrefined.
    GreenBeanGenii likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeedreamer View Post
    that's an idea. I usually whip up a lot of cream over Xmas so I will now be diverting some to my coffee...
    The festive season was when I first changed whipped cream delivery too.

    Enjoy!

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    14,064
    If you want real whipped cream made fresh and the way you like it (Sugar? Vanilla?) grab an N2O whipped cream dispenser. Depending on how cold your fridge is the cream will stay good for over 2 weeks in the dispenser giving you the option for fresh whipped cream on demand with no muss and no fuss. I would not be surprised to find that one or more of our sponsors carries them.


    Java "Whip it! Whip it good!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21
    Wow, now that sounds great..I will look into it, thanks!

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    94
    I'm just happy it's finally getting easy to find "non" thickened or whipped cream again :-)

  23. #23
    Senior Member nikko.the.scorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW
    Posts
    131
    Nice idea, will try something similar tomorrow.

  24. #24
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    If you want real whipped cream made fresh and the way you like it (Sugar? Vanilla?) grab an N2O whipped cream dispenser. Depending on how cold your fridge is the cream will stay good for over 2 weeks in the dispenser giving you the option for fresh whipped cream on demand with no muss and no fuss. I would not be surprised to find that one or more of our sponsors carries them.


    Java "Whip it! Whip it good!" phile
    I used to make up 6 of these every morning for our customers. We added Torani and Monin syrups to a few (Irish Cream; Vanilla; Creme de Cacao; Orgeat; Hazelnut and so forth)

    Fantastic on hot chocolate! Great on mochas with a quick zest of orange peel! Shoot some in a tiny take away cup for the little kids

  25. #25
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    What I was referring to in my OP was double cream, not whipped cream, no sugar and certainly no vanilla there's a vast difference, and definitely not pouring cream.

    The following description is from the Australian Woman's Weekly,

    "Double cream is very rich, with a fat content of 48 percent, making it the most versatile cream because it withstands boiling and whips and freezes well. (Cow's milk contains butterfat which is removed from milk using a centrifuge system. The longer the milk is centrifuged, the thicker the cream becomes).

    Single cream, also known as pouring cream, has a minimum fat content of 18 percent. It is homogenised and pasteurised and commonly used in sauces, desserts and soups."

    Health benefits? probably none, don't make it a regular thing, reckon I can feel the cholesterol coursing through my veins after downing one of these.
    sprezzatura likes this.

  26. #26
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    878
    Do you use double cream on scones? It sounds really tasty (in moderation).

  27. #27
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Do you use double cream on scones? It sounds really tasty (in moderation).
    G'Day Sprezzatura, Scones are something we seldom do, however having said that should probably make the effort now and again.

    Fresh scones with blackberry jam and double cream! what a combination, fantastico.

    PS: What's this word moderation.
    sprezzatura likes this.

  28. #28
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley, WA
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
    Do you use double cream on scones? It sounds really tasty (in moderation).
    Over at the scone snobs forum we use strictly clotted cream on scones
    sprezzatura likes this.

  29. #29
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    878
    Love blackberry jam: we used to pick blackberries in Southern Oregon and my mom would bake blackberry cobbler and I'd make homme made ice cream!

  30. #30
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    878
    I had a laugh! I figure full cream milk piccolo (70ml) and espresso (30ml) equals a big skim flat white, right?

  31. #31
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley, WA
    Posts
    478
    I was at the supermarket and they had some Gippsland double cream on clearance, the general public has no idea what's good for them. Needless to say I am currently quaffing a long black with double cream and a little sugar. Gotta say, I never imagined that I'd think of you while in the supermarket Yelta but I did

  32. #32
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    I was at the supermarket and they had some Gippsland double cream on clearance, the general public has no idea what's good for them. Needless to say I am currently quaffing a long black with double cream and a little sugar. Gotta say, I never imagined that I'd think of you while in the supermarket Yelta but I did
    G'Day Magnafunk, well done. Tell me, how was the dairy enhanced Lungo?

    For some reason its a coffee drink that has never taken off in Oz, miles ahead of long black or an Americano in my opinion.

  33. #33
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,071
    But he had a long black..?

  34. #34
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley, WA
    Posts
    478
    I was actually too lazy to adjust the grind so I just did the old double on top of hot water. It was fantastic as always, I'll likely have another one tomorrow. To be honest, I don't mind cream for quite some time after it's use by date, the slight tang and increased thickness adds a dimension. Great on scones despite my earlier scone snobs comment

  35. #35
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    I don't mind cream for quite some time after it's use by date, the slight tang and increased thickness adds a dimension. Great on scones despite my earlier scone snobs comment
    I'm with you again on this one, Pura market an excellent double cream in SA (yep, I know, repetition" yes it does improve with age, up to a point that is.

    Scones are good.
    Last edited by Yelta; 16th May 2017 at 05:44 PM.
    matth3wh likes this.

  36. #36
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    685

    Double thick cream in a Lungo.

    Following the cream theme...

    The French know what they are doing with the cooking and the adding of the butter and cream!

    I highly recommend adding a small dose of pouring cream in to the bottom of your milk jug before adding your regular milk to give a richer and more luxurious flat white / cap

    Fat and oils carries the flavours through the drink.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    319
    It's not always butter... the frogs use plenty of duck/goose fat in their cooking.
    matth3wh likes this.

  38. #38
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    685

    Double thick cream in a Lungo.

    Of course. Rich and delicious flavours

    Just won't add the duck fat to the coffee just yet. 🤣
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •