Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kbilleter
  • 1 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By flyandcoffee

Thread: Longlife Milk

  1. #1
    kjr
    kjr is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2

    Longlife Milk

    Hi all

    I am shortly to travel to Vanuatu where I have been assured there is great coffee, that the house we are staying in has a coffee machine BUT that only longlife milk is available. So I am turning to the experts.........

    Does anyone have any advice about making coffee with longlife milk? Tips and tricks, brands to use/avoid? Any other advice for coffee in Vanuatu (Port Vila)?

    Please help (one member of our group is considering not coming due to potential bad coffee)

    Thanks
    Karen

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Nhulunbuy
    Posts
    59
    UHT milk is fine, I always have some in the cupboard as I live remote and sometimes Woolies runs out of fresh milk. I dont do anything different with it, stretches just like fresh milk and tastes fine in coffee.

  3. #3
    kjr
    kjr is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks. I might give it a go before we leave too.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by kjr View Post
    Hi all

    Please help (one member of our group is considering not coming due to potential bad coffee)
    Are short / long blacks out of the question?

    A lot of people prefer non milk-based coffee in the tropics in any case.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    I use UHT as a backup and it works OK. The flavour is slightly different from fresh milk somewhat though, but not offensive at all. Just a slightly different taste.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1
    Living in Tonga the only milk we get is UHT and coffee is good - particularly with our locally grown beans.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    824
    I use Devondale semi skim UHT at work, tastes fine, froths well and keeps for a quite a while in the fridge even after it's opened.

  8. #8
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,496
    I've used UHT milk and it's fine. The barista one that they sell is actually pretty good.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    86
    Hmm.. I guess this is Coffee Snobs, not milk snobs.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    51
    UHT is fine I'd say. I use lactose free milk for my milk drinks and that comes UHT.
    Not as easy to stretch but still works well.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyboy View Post
    UHT is fine I'd say. I use lactose free milk for my milk drinks and that comes UHT.
    Not as easy to stretch but still works well.
    Any tips on using UHT? my trials so far are not going well!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    547
    Just something you probably already know: make sure it's cold. Harder to make it work straight out of the cupboard.

  13. #13
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,496
    I've used uht milk with no change from usual technique. Has to be cold for best results though

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    845
    I would like Betsy a lactose free cow in the backyard. I don't have one so I use UHT lactose free milk. It is pretty good. It frothswell enough too.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by shortblackman View Post
    Just something you probably already know: make sure it's cold. Harder to make it work straight out of the cupboard.
    Thanks. Have been leaving it in the fridge but I should probably put the jug in as well

  16. #16
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,031
    Jug in the fridge just means you get a delayed response on milk temp changes. When I first started I made the mistake of following cold jug advice, and I was constantly overheating my milk. Granted this discussion is about UHT, but I don't think you're really going to gain anything from a cold jug.

    People say you gain time for steaming - maybe so, but I'd hazard a guess it's a matter of seconds that you get, plus you're only spending 5 seconds or less introducing air and the rest is rolling it for integration and then getting to your final temperature - and this just takes as long as it takes... Technique is needed, not time.

    Definitely ensure cold milk, but I wouldn't be refrigerating the jug. It means that when you forget to refrigerate the jug you're going to struggle as things aren't as you're used to.
    tashie likes this.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Jug in the fridge just means you get a delayed response on milk temp changes. When I first started I made the mistake of following cold jug advice, and I was constantly overheating my milk. Granted this discussion is about UHT, but I don't think you're really going to gain anything from a cold jug.

    People say you gain time for steaming - maybe so, but I'd hazard a guess it's a matter of seconds that you get, plus you're only spending 5 seconds or less introducing air and the rest is rolling it for integration and then getting to your final temperature - and this just takes as long as it takes... Technique is needed, not time.

    Definitely ensure cold milk, but I wouldn't be refrigerating the jug. It means that when you forget to refrigerate the jug you're going to struggle as things aren't as you're used to.
    Thanks for the advice readeral. I'll keep trying with a room temp jug.
    readeral likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •