Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 69
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Esports = bullsheet.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527

    Esports = bullsheet.

    Esports Meet Australian sport's next big thing as traditional clubs look to the esports phenomenon - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)Pandering to the lazy, just another reason for fat b*astards to sit in front of a screen, burger and Coke in hand insisting they are participating in a sporting activity.

    I shudder to think about our society in 20 years.
    jbrewster and chippy like this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Posts
    85
    Hi Yelta,

    I thunk this not about improving any individuals sporting ability, rather big organisations like the A league and AFL making money and big money. Did you see the prize money for winning the premier world esporting event in Poland? If there is that much money offered for prize money then the money organisations stand to make from this is much, much more.

    Cheers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,268
    Yeh I dunno, not my cup of tea, but I guess the competitors are no more idle than chess players (or some fishermen). I see it more as a dorkathon.
    338 likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Yeh I dunno, not my cup of tea, but I guess the competitors are no more idle than chess players (or some fishermen). I see it more as a dorkathon.
    Interesting observation, given I was a chess tragic in my younger days.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    40
    I kind of see this thread like this, its ok to judge, but not from homes made of glass, can any of you athletes run 10k or are you under 23 on the BMI scale. If the answer is no, then its best not to be so judgemental.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    129
    Bmi 21 here.
    Dont own a tv either

  7. #7
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Lootee View Post
    I kind of see this thread like this, its ok to judge, but not from homes made of glass, can any of you athletes run 10k or are you under 23 on the BMI scale. If the answer is no, then its best not to be so judgemental.
    I would suggest you, like every poster here, looks at every subject through their own prism of biases.

    You suggest a BMI, a basic flawed measurement which is biased against people with any muscle. Roger Federer is 24.8, most would describe him as lean rather than a ball of muscle. I have a friend with a BMI in the thirties yet his body fat is 8% measured by a dexa body scan.

    The OP has stated they are well over 73, let's guess late seventies or early eighties. It is a big ask to expect someone of that age to still have good cardio, skeletal and muscular systems to run 10km to meet your opinion of whether they can judge or not.

    In NSW at least, the government agrees with the OP, I owned a childcare centre as an investment and they had a push a few years back to increase emphasis on gross motors skills, social interaction and basic sporting games as a direct reaction to the obesity epidemic in children - guessed to be caused by computer games, screen time, etc. I agree with the OP that we need to encourage children and individuals to lead a more active lifestyle, the purveyors of games, etc do enough to make their side of the fence seem attractive. We had children of two at the centre who could unlock their parents phone or tablet, then find youtube or games. The OP is trying to start a debate to encourage activity - then you want to criticise people who aren't yet perfect to your definition. Or healthy enough to encourage a healthy lifestyle! I would like to encourage the debate about health and everyone no matter where they are on their journey. Sometimes it seems like you want to take the contrary view just to be contrary.
    Yelta and jbrewster like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Posts
    85
    Yes I certainly have my biases and I agree that sitting in front of a screen all day is not healthy. Even in office environments where you do sit in front of a screen all day it is good to walk away from your desk and go somewhere where you can look out the window or even go for a short walk now and then.

    I have re read the article and stick to my original observation that the A league and AFL clubs are not so much looking at this from a skills, fitness and health point of view, rather a marketing tool.

    Just on the technology we have available to us today in home to help keep fit, I can think of a few in which we don't all together sit in front of the screen. WII fit, and the VR games are a couple which readily come to mind which get you moving at times. On a tangent to this conversation, I see a TENS (well I think it's a TENS) machine advertised from time to time on one of the advertising channels which looks like it produces good results without having to do sit ups etc.

    Personally, generally speaking, I think the old fashioned way of training is probably the best still but I can see where technology today and in the not so distant future could develope into being integral and necessary to the best training routines.

    But yeah, I see your point Yelta, today we see more and more particularly young people living an unhealthy lifestyle of sitting in front of the screen all day rather than getting out and riding thier push bikes like we used to when we were young.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by bigdaddy; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:10 AM. Reason: Grammer
    Yelta likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Lootee View Post
    I kind of see this thread like this, its ok to judge, but not from homes made of glass, can any of you athletes run 10k or are you under 23 on the BMI scale. If the answer is no, then its best not to be so judgemental.
    I'm not really sure that being super-fit would make it any better or worse to judge. People find difference a 'bit odd', no great harm being done.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    866
    Maybe I haven't understood this, but it is just about computer games, not actually sport - right?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Posts
    85
    Hi Rocky,

    I could be wrong and welcome others to correct me if I am. I read it as computer games coming into the sports arena and people using them as a substitute for real physical activity. But it is an off topic thread so the conversation could go anywhere.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by bigdaddy; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

  12. #12
    Senior Member rusty888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    100
    I can run 42.9kms and have done a few times but I’m not what you would say a healthy weight.

    Education around reading labels and what portion sizes are as well as teaching kids how to enjoy without a screen are the challenges ahead.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    866
    Yep, physical activity is only one part of the equation.
    What goes in the mouth, and how much is the other part.
    It needs to start in childhood. A big panic at 50 when you're 30 kilos overweight is way too late.

  14. #14
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    288
    Not so long ago the accepted norm went something like this (very sorry for generalising)... Dad sits and reads his Newspaper/s for 2-3 hours, topped up by the nightly news TV viewing and his favourite TV comedy/drama/doco all from the comfort of HIS armchair. Meanwhile the kids get to watch an hour or two of cartoons etc before Dad came home and claimed viewing rights. The kids then got out their colouring or puzzles or monopoly or just playing cards and would sit and engross themselves in their chosen activity for hours. Mum would do all the Mum things (keeping the kids quiet usually) and then sit and pick up the discarded newspaper or enjoy the TV or read a good book. Seems that the only difference from now is the method (and number) of delivery options of the exact same activities.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    You suggest a BMI, a basic flawed measurement which is biased against people with any muscle. Roger Federer is 24.8, most would describe him as lean rather than a ball of muscle. I have a friend with a BMI in the thirties yet his body fat is 8% measured by a dexa body scan.

    The OP has stated they are well over 73, let's guess late seventies or early eighties.

    Sometimes it seems like you want to take the contrary view just to be contrary.
    G'Day 338.

    BMI does give a pretty good idea of a persons physique, we used it as an indicator when hiring years ago, I'm sure there are muscular types that are an exception, we never saw them.

    "well over 73" I certainly didn't say that in this thread, in another thread I claimed seniority over a new member who put his hand up to being 73, my response was "I'm gonna claim seniority, wont say by how much, but I have got you beat by a bit." will leave it at that.

    Full marks for reading and retaining.

    "Sometimes it seems like you want to take the contrary view just to be contrary."
    Not sure what his mission is and not really interested, he obviously has no interest in coffee.
    338 likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    Yes BMI is an excellent indicator of body size, and shape to a certain extent (‘physique’). By definition that’s exactly what it is!! It tells you very little about a persons health though.
    Yelta likes this.

  17. #17
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    254
    Guys I agree totally about BMI gjving an indication of size, but due to muscle weighing more than fat it isn't much use on people outside the norm with higher muscle content. That is why they often suggest waist measurements as well. Have spent a bit of time around guys and girls carrying a bit of body armour and some bodybuilders, every single one fails the bmi test but is healthy with low fat. Not dissing the test, just saying it is a low cost, easily administered test meant to give good results on the average, not anyone outside that.

    Just for fun I ran Big Steves numbers through the bmi, he is a fairly serious bodybuilder. At 198cm and 142kg he comes out at 37 bmi - obese - but he wears 33" pants and is 8% bf. Funny thing is due to his height he doesn't even seem that big in clothes, very big but not magazine or comic book huge which the numbers suggest.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    At 198cm and 142kg he comes out at 37 bmi
    Crikey 338, at 6 foot 6 inches and 313 pounds the guy is far from Mr average, Ive got a lot of years behind me and traveled pretty widely, have yet to meet anyone even approaching those dimensions.

  19. #19
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    254
    Yelta biggest bloke I know too! Another friend is 6'5" and 120kg in good shape and after meeting him commented how uncommon it was to meet someone much bigger than himself. Moves stupid amounts of weight at the gym, after filling all 4 bars on the leg press (probably 1200 or 1400kg) would get 3 blokes to stand on it. I liked training at the gym next to him, made me feel like a lazy b*stard who needed to work much, much harder!

    I remember reading this article a while back - Weight loss: Amazing - this woman is 1kg different but 6 dress sizes different. Would have had virtually the same BMI in each photo.

    Anyway at any bmi I think we all have the right to comment and encourage healthier lifestyles. A bit younger than you Yelta and grew up when the options were ride a bike, go for a surf, play some touch footy after school. Screens (except TVs) weren't invented yet for domestic situations and weren't used as babysitting as they are today by time poor parents. Like your original post I think some exercise is good for all kids, hard to pick up exercise at 30 if you have never moved before in your life. At 50 those kids who haven't exercised will be using up all the medicare I will deserve by then!

  20. #20
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    If everyone was apparently so much more active pre-computers and video games why are so many over 40s seriously overweight and extremely unhealthy?

  21. #21
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Crikey 338, at 6 foot 6 inches and 313 pounds the guy is far from Mr average, Ive got a lot of years behind me and traveled pretty widely, have yet to meet anyone even approaching those dimensions.
    A friend of mine from school had an American dad and spent roughly half his school life in California and half in Australia. He got into playing American football in high school and was good enough to get a low level scholarship to Memphis. He played in their NCAA team for 3yrs and in his senior year decided to give it a nudge and try to make the NFL, even though he’d always been told he was too small. So he got to work and bulked up and from memory maxed out at about 135kg at roughly 6’5”-6’6”. He grew so fast that he got stretch marks, some of which actually happened while working out which is very painful apparently. In the end he wasn’t even close as he was still ‘too small’.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    If everyone was apparently so much more active pre-computers and video games why are so many over 40s seriously overweight and extremely unhealthy?
    Coz they discovered computers later in life. That and the fact that they only discovered that their tastebuds were on the top of their tongue in the early 80s.
    338 likes this.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    866
    The issue of 'Exercise' is more complex than most think.
    I have a 103 yo Mother who has never done any sport or organised exercise in her life.
    She DID do a fair bit of relaxed walking throughout most of her life however.
    Now, she is a naturally skinny person (like me) who isn't interested in junk food and never overeats (like me).
    Her body is in very good condition for her age without many of the 'wear' issues that some sorts of sports and exercise cause. Yes, cause.
    I am similar to her except that 20 years of Karate wore out all my joints so that I have pain in all these areas. I walk for an hour every day anyhow.
    For people like us, no more than light regular exercise (like walking) is needed to stay fit. (We both have good cardio-vascular health)
    For heavily built people, those prone to pack on weight, and those that eat too much and the wrong things, exercise becomes much more important but I still maintain that it is what goes in your mouth that is the key issue.

  24. #24
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    254
    Leroy I have to say when I read the stats on those guys while watching I am always amazed. Once you meet a person that size you cant imagine them being small in any company. Huge effort to get to be 135kg, feel sorry for him it wasn't enough.

    Your comment about being overweight over 40 is fair, obesity has been on the rise for a while now. We actually were much better and I can imagine how much worse in a generation or so time. In 1995 the National Health Survey reported 30% of Australians overweight and 11% obese. Sames survey in 2016 and 65% overweight and 29% obese! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Australia Will write more when I finish the cheesecake the little lady has brought over to my jason recliner rocker - if I have time before late supper
    LeroyC likes this.

  25. #25
    Senior Member woodhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    what goes in your mouth that is the key issue.
    yep. you can't out-train a bad diet.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    Bear in mind prior to 1966 fast food was almost unheard of and TV had only just been introduced.

    Fish and chips on Friday night and perhaps a pie or pasty from the local deli once or twice a week was pretty much the extent of fast food, aaaand soft drinks were a treat, not the norm.

    Now some people live on prepackaged or fast food washed down with a sugar laden drink, home cooking of nutritious meals is becoming a dying art, kids leave school not knowing how to boil a bloody egg let alone putting together a stew or similar.

    Kids walked or rode to school and home again, they played sport during breaks, cricket, football, basketball, British bulldog, brandy, hopscotch, I'm sure others can add to the list.

    People were active not sedentary, pubs closed at 6PM, pubic transport was the main form of travel, people still rode bikes as transport by necessity (not dressed in trendy lycra in an obsessional attempt to retain their youth) and you walked to the bus/tram stop or train station.

    Most kids as well as a large percentage of adults played some form of sport, street cricket and groups of kids kicking a footy up and down the road was a common sight, as was the practice of hitting a tennis ball against a side wall to get (some practice for the weekend match) beaches were always packed during the summer months.

    A weekly visit to the picture theatre was another treat that also involved some form of exercise in getting there.

    And the clincher, obesity in kids was highly unusual, today it's a major problem as are the related problem of tooth decay and diabetes.
    jbrewster, LeroyC and 338 like this.

  27. #27
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    Did you guys know that Costa Rica is the first country in the world to reverse deforestation? Amazing really. For a small country, with a small population and not a lot of resources or a huge GDP, they put other more developed countries like Australia and NZ to shame.

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    34
    Well done, Costa Rica! Returning to e-sport and the exaggerated use of computers among kids, what I think could be the biggest problem is the lack of face-to-face social skills, some kids suffer from. If all you know is how to be a tough guy in a violent computer game, you might have problems being a nice one in real life. I teach in a public school, and we spend time untangling conflicts that come from not knowing how to talk to real people. Same with social media, it's easy to be tough behind the computer screen, but you tend to forget there's a receiving end to it.
    338 likes this.

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    34
    One thing that amazes me about e-sports is that it apparently is a popular spectator "sport". This last autumn there was a CounterStrike tournament in the "Blast PRO series" that took place in Copenhagen in our largest indoor concert arena. The event was sold out. 12000 tickets at an average price of (something like) 80 Au$ with the most expensive ones at 175 Au$. Crazy...
    esport.jpg

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    34
    For some reason, this has made me think of a documentary about Bobby Fischer, "Bobby Fischer Against The World" that was on Netflix. The documentary is centered around the 1972 chess championship in Iceland between Fischer and Spassky. The championship was being used by both the Soviet Union and the U.S. in their cold war propaganda, and the match was such a huge thing that the games were live televised (until Fischer insisted the cameras were turned off because the noise from them disturbed him) in several countries. Imagine showing chess live on national tv today...
    Bobby Fischer ended up winning but eventually turned into a complete nutcase and died a very lonely, bitter man. Maybe chess is not so good for your health either.
    A short clip, and the whole film. Rather poor quality:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MlGHJKAuM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJjrYKOWMRQ

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    Yes I certainly have my biases and I agree that sitting in front of a screen all day is not healthy. Even in office environments where you do sit in front of a screen all day it is good to walk away from your desk and go somewhere where you can look out the window or even go for a short walk now and then.

    I have re read the article and stick to my original observation that the A league and AFL clubs are not so much looking at this from a skills, fitness and health point of view, rather a marketing tool.

    Just on the technology we have available to us today in home to help keep fit, I can think of a few in which we don't all together sit in front of the screen. WII fit, and the VR games are a couple which readily come to mind which get you moving at times. On a tangent to this conversation, I see a TENS (well I think it's a TENS) machine advertised from time to time on one of the advertising channels which looks like it produces good results without having to do sit ups etc.

    Personally, generally speaking, I think the old fashioned way of training is probably the best still but I can see where technology today and in the not so distant future could develope into being integral and necessary to the best training routines.

    But yeah, I see your point Yelta, today we see more and more particularly young people living an unhealthy lifestyle of sitting in front of the screen all day rather than getting out and riding thier push bikes like we used to when we were young.

    Cheers.
    Contrary to what you believe being judgemental for another's form of fun is just that, its easy to judge from a glass house and the comfort of your lounge chair. I stand by my comments, perhaps not written perfectly but unless you are an active and fit person then judging people for participating in what they think is fun is garbage.

    But this is a snob site isn't it.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    I remember the series well, played in 1972 Reykjavik Iceland, Fischer was indeed a temperamental and demanding primma donna, made outrageous demands of the organisers, wouldn't show for games and generally made a prick of himself, Boris Spassky was also an oddball but largely kept his emotions under control.

    It was during the cold war, the whole circus was very much used as a political football between America and Russia, it really was a big deal at the time.

    Fischer triumphed something like 12 to 8.

    Spassky is still alive, lives in Russia.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...mpionship_1972

    knastoer likes this.

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Maybe I haven't understood this, but it is just about computer games, not actually sport - right?
    A little context by someone who knows the e-sports scene...

    There are quite a few computer games out there which were either created to be played in a way similar to a sport or accidentally ended up that way. Of those games, quite a few have serious professional players / teams and there are significant prize pools on offer for tournament wins.

    I have personally played one such game (Dota2) in a manner of say a grade cricket player - specifically practicing various skills, training with other serious players and occasionally playing with or against professionals. There is a ranking system similar to that employed by chess and I managed to make it into the top 1% of players worldwide - yet that takes constant practice to maintain. It is/was a fun hobby if you are so inclined.

    The largest professional Dota2 tournament of the year ("The International") had a prize pool of $16.8 million USD last year. It is held in a basketball stadium in Seattle and has millions live of viewers worldwide.

    Nobody is suggesting it as a replacement for traditional sports, though most of the top e-sports professionals also have a strict exercise regime as of course it improves your performance in the games.
    Magic_Matt and bigdaddy like this.

  34. #34
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    304
    $16.8 million USD prize pool seems like a lot until you remember that's about 5 or 6 top paid IPL crickets or less than two AFL teams salary cap.

    And Semillon brings up a good point, is Esports really any different to chess? Your still sitting playing a game against a competitor who is trying his best to outwit you at every turn. It just happens the pieces are a little more complex than a pawn/knight and the board is set in outer space or on a mythical planet.

  35. #35
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    866
    I accept that 'esport' is like Chess, but I think the issue being discussed was that it was nothing like a physical exercise-based sport such as Tennis - with the exception of those that use the Wii principle.
    Is Chess a "sport"? I wouldn't regard it as such but I'm sure there are others who do. I'd call it an adversarial intellectual pursuit - like card games.

  36. #36
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Semillon View Post
    A little context by someone who knows the e-sports scene...

    There are quite a few computer games out there which were either created to be played in a way similar to a sport or accidentally ended up that way. Of those games, quite a few have serious professional players / teams and there are significant prize pools on offer for tournament wins.

    I have personally played one such game (Dota2) in a manner of say a grade cricket player - specifically practicing various skills, training with other serious players and occasionally playing with or against professionals. There is a ranking system similar to that employed by chess and I managed to make it into the top 1% of players worldwide - yet that takes constant practice to maintain. It is/was a fun hobby if you are so inclined.

    The largest professional Dota2 tournament of the year ("The International") had a prize pool of $16.8 million USD last year. It is held in a basketball stadium in Seattle and has millions live of viewers worldwide.

    Nobody is suggesting it as a replacement for traditional sports, though most of the top e-sports professionals also have a strict exercise regime as of course it improves your performance in the games.
    That’s a good basic summary. Not dissing anyone, but I don’t think anyone posting in the start of this thread really knows anything about e-sports. To be fair that article didn’t really give any background either, it was just talking about traditional sports clubs trying to get a foot in the door as they see the earnings potential. It is indeed a huge and growing industry and interestingly most participants don’t actually fit the mold of the picture that’s been painted here. Theres plenty of overweight and unhealthy gamers tucked away in dark rooms, but they tend not to be the ones making it to the pro e-sports ranks believe it or not.
    rawill and bigdaddy like this.

  37. #37
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I accept that 'esport' is like Chess, but I think the issue being discussed was that it was nothing like a physical exercise-based sport such as Tennis - with the exception of those that use the Wii principle.
    Is Chess a "sport"? I wouldn't regard it as such but I'm sure there are others who do. I'd call it an adversarial intellectual pursuit - like card games.
    I guess it depends on what you define as 'Sport'. If it is defined as an activity that requires some form of physical exertion of the body, then 'motor sport' is just as much a sport as 'esports'.

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    37
    If you have ever raced a car/go-kart you will know it is damn hard work controlling the thing around the track, the g-forces you are constantly fighting, rough ride etc. is not easy and most people karting for the first time, can't lift their arms above their head the next day :-)

  39. #39
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    If you have ever raced a car/go-kart you will know it is damn hard work controlling the thing around the track, the g-forces you are constantly fighting, rough ride etc. is not easy and most people karting for the first time, can't lift their arms above their head the next day :-)
    100% agree, it's not easy! But top tier players of Esports can average actions per minute (mouse/buttons/macros) into the hundreds for a game. I would challenge the average person to lift a finger after making over 100 clicks per second for an hour long game!

  40. #40
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    I'm wondering if any of the esport defenders and chess critics here have anything better than a rudimentary grasp of the game of chess, it has nothing to do with reaction time and everything to do with brain power and planning.

    Regardless, neither one on their own will keep you in good physical shape and that was the point of my original post.

    My OP was in reference to the average Joe (and I'm sure this applies to the overwhelming majority of participants) and not the Brendon Leigh's or Bobby Fischer's of the world.

    Very much the same as the the BMI comments, we have seen people with highly unusual physical characteristics/skills being referred to as normal, when in fact the truth is they they are the exception in almost every way.
    LeroyC and bigdaddy like this.

  41. #41
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    Some astounding facts about the game of chess.

    "Chess is infinite: there are 400 different positions after each player makes one move apiece. 72,084 positions after each player makes two moves apiece. More than 9 million unique positions from the third move. After the 4th move, more than 288+ billion different positions are possible. Many 40-move games on Level-1 can be achieved than the number of electrons in our universe. There are more game-trees of Chess than the number of galaxies (100+ billion), and more openings, defences, gambits, etc. than the number of quarks in our universe! " --Chesmayne

  42. #42
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Bear in mind prior to 1966 fast food was almost unheard of and TV had only just been introduced.

    Fish and chips on Friday night and perhaps a pie or pasty from the local deli once or twice a week was pretty much the extent of fast food, aaaand soft drinks were a treat, not the norm.

    Now some people live on prepackaged or fast food washed down with a sugar laden drink, home cooking of nutritious meals is becoming a dying art, kids leave school not knowing how to boil a bloody egg let alone putting together a stew or similar.

    Kids walked or rode to school and home again, they played sport during breaks, cricket, football, basketball, British bulldog, brandy, hopscotch, I'm sure others can add to the list.

    People were active not sedentary, pubs closed at 6PM, pubic transport was the main form of travel, people still rode bikes as transport by necessity (not dressed in trendy lycra in an obsessional attempt to retain their youth) and you walked to the bus/tram stop or train station.

    Most kids as well as a large percentage of adults played some form of sport, street cricket and groups of kids kicking a footy up and down the road was a common sight, as was the practice of hitting a tennis ball against a side wall to get (some practice for the weekend match) beaches were always packed during the summer months.

    A weekly visit to the picture theatre was another treat that also involved some form of exercise in getting there.

    And the clincher, obesity in kids was highly unusual, today it's a major problem as are the related problem of tooth decay and diabetes.
    Did they have grumpy old men back then Yelta, or are they another modern phenomenon?

  43. #43
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Did they have grumpy old men back then Yelta, or are they another modern phenomenon?
    Not complaining or grumping, just offering observations based on personal experience Matt.

    I know full well things change and evolve, simply outlining insights and offering a perspective not available through personal experience to younger Coffee Snobs.

    If they choose to think I'm exaggerating or talking through my hat, so be it.

    Perhaps because of my advancing years you feel my experience and views are no longer relevant, maybe we oldies should be treated as kids were years ago, seen but not heard.


  44. #44
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    14,398
    No, they were invented in the early '90's on a Friday night over watery beers in Fargo.


    Java "Kids; Can't live with them, can't shoot them." phile
    Magic_Matt likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  45. #45
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Not complaining or grumping, just offering observations based on personal experience Matt.

    I know full well things change and evolve, simply outlining insights and offering a perspective not available through personal experience to younger Coffee Snobs.

    If they choose to think I'm exaggerating or talking through my hat, so be it.

    Perhaps because of my advancing years you feel my experience and views are no longer relevant, maybe we oldies should be treated as kids were years ago, seen but not heard.

    Not at all - just a gentle ribbing ☺ you gotta admit that was a bit of a rant - not that there's anything wrong with that

    I agree with you for the most part. Grew up playing outside, screen time was strictly monitored and I still ride my bike (though I'll disagree that casual clothes are more appropriate for that activity. You don't see many people at footy practice wearing street clothes either...).

    I don't envy kids growing up today in many ways - health issues associated with sedentary lifestyle and poor diet aside, I'd anticipate many will have eyesight problems very young due to prolific smartphone/tablet etc use.

  46. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, S.A.
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Lootee View Post
    I kind of see this thread like this, its ok to judge, but not from homes made of glass, can any of you athletes run 10k or are you under 23 on the BMI scale. If the answer is no, then its best not to be so judgemental.
    Not sure what you are getting at Lootee.

    How do come to your conclusion of who can judge or not?

    Are you saying because you don't think my BMI is 23 or less, I can't run a 10km run then I'm best not to comment on this thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lootee View Post
    Contrary to what you believe being judgemental for another's form of fun is just that, its easy to judge from a glass house and the comfort of your lounge chair. I stand by my comments, perhaps not written perfectly but unless you are an active and fit person then judging people for participating in what they think is fun is garbage.

    But this is a snob site isn't it.
    In your glass house and lounge chair comments. Are you saying because you think I don't do esports, I'm not qualified to comment....

    Not sure where you get the snob site comment from either...Care to clarify?

    Oh, and don't worry about things not being written perfectly... I'm the last who should talk about that...

    Cheers.
    338 likes this.

  47. #47
    Rbn
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southland NZ
    Posts
    403
    So I guess if I race a car on a playstation, instead of actually racing my F1600/FF my that will qualify me for being an esport person.
    Not for me!
    Sorry, the buzz of hanging on on a wide fast sweeping corner in real life, real time, and figuring can I go faster or not, compared with sitting in my lazy bay with a console in front of me, I don't think so.

  48. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    So I guess if I race a car on a playstation, instead of actually racing my F1600/FF my that will qualify me for being an esport person.
    Not for me!
    Sorry, the buzz of hanging on on a wide fast sweeping corner in real life, real time, and figuring can I go faster or not, compared with sitting in my lazy bay with a console in front of me, I don't think so.
    Obviously, the more physical aspects are incomparable, but I'm not so sure when it comes to the neurological ones. I'm pretty certain you can get adrenaline rushes from playing, and the player will also be rewarded with the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain that when released makes you feel happy - much the same as with sex, food, and coffee... with the subsequent risk of developing an addiction.

  49. #49
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    So I guess if I race a car on a playstation, instead of actually racing my F1600/FF my that will qualify me for being an esport person.
    Not for me!
    Sorry, the buzz of hanging on on a wide fast sweeping corner in real life, real time, and figuring can I go faster or not, compared with sitting in my lazy bay with a console in front of me, I don't think so.
    Rawill, you think all that physical feedback is really worth something? Or the fact that you just can't crash and press reset makes you mind deal with the consequences a bit more seriously so upping the tension?

    Nissan thinks you are wrong! They run a contest to take guys straight from Playstation and stick them in a race car. A couple of years ago they took a guy called Jann Mardenborough and put him in a GTR at the Nurburgring. Ending up crashing and killing a spectator. I would imagine the spectator wishes the driver had a few years in a Formula Ford feeling what it is like when losing grip at either end, rather than 3 months training after playing playstation. No reset button for the poor spectator.


    PS Only thing crazier than this is today’s decision to axe grid girls from F1 starting with Melbourne.

  50. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Nissan thinks you are wrong! They run a contest to take guys straight from Playstation and stick them in a race car. A couple of years ago they took a guy called Jann Mardenborough and put him in a GTR at the Nurburgring. Ending up crashing and killing a spectator. I would imagine the spectator wishes the driver had a few years in a Formula Ford feeling what it is like when losing grip at either end, rather than 3 months training after playing playstation. No reset button for the poor spectator.


    PS Only thing crazier than this is today’s decision to axe grid girls from F1 starting with Melbourne.
    That's horrendous!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •