Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Behmor
  • 1 Post By Dragunov21
  • 2 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By martinierius
  • 2 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By pyrmontboy200
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By Andy
  • 2 Post By Andy

Thread: Behmor 1600 Connected: Bluetooth & WiFi

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    35

    Behmor 1600 Connected: Bluetooth & WiFi



    Cannot wait for Q3. Also hoping for AU early access like the plus​.

    Source

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,985
    Gotta love remote!


    Java "Finally! A use for a Tablet!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  3. #3
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    15,334
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sorry, no early back-stage pass for the connected Behmor in Australia, the tour starts with 120v in the USA this time.

    What you are seeing is one of the first prototypes, not a production version but the interface is cute on both Android and iPhone. Not too sure it will have enough "fiddleability" for CS'rs as it's real target is more towards first timers that want to press a profile button on their phone. I think the 1600 Plus will always be the one that tinkerers will want to use but the connected Behmor has nice features of saving your roast data in the cloud.

    Our 220v/240v build of the connected Behmor won't happen for more than 12 months but the upside is the American's can get rid of the bugs. :-)

    The plan is to also offer it as an upgrade kit (similar to the Behmor 1600 to 1600 Plus kit) so those that have a 1600 Plus can upgrade fairly easily with common tools and tad of common sense. As always, Behmor Inc will do their best to keep the price fair on the upgrade too.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,985
    Hrrmmm.....Less control than the Plus?


    Java "Putting the Tablet away" phile
    Dragunov21 likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Our 220v/240v build of the connected Behmor won't happen for more than 12 months but the upside is the American's can get rid of the bugs. :-)
    Hang on, wasn't the difference between 220V-240V and 110-120V is just the label on the buttons? 1/4, 1/2, 1 vs 100, 200, 400 and celsius vs fahrenheit for A and B?

    In this case, since all the interface is on a phone,.. why couldn't they launched together?

    Unless, the connected 1600 also requires changing the circuit board??

  6. #6
    Behmor Inc
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by kutis View Post
    Hang on, wasn't the difference between 220V-240V and 110-120V is just the label on the buttons? 1/4, 1/2, 1 vs 100, 200, 400 and celsius vs fahrenheit for A and B?

    In this case, since all the interface is on a phone,.. why couldn't they launched together?

    Unless, the connected 1600 also requires changing the circuit board??
    It's seriously anything but simple interface and NO the 120 and 220 isn't just a label change...

    This requires a full redesign of 2 PCBs, change in power supply, retool front panel, complex apps written for interface and a vastly different certification process because you are dealing with the FCCs of the world with 220v certification being extremely difficult because of different regs.

    In the USA none will be seen till Q4, and pricing will be significantly higher.......... as in 60% higher..

    As Andy stated we are looking at a year before they are 220v ready..


    There will conversion kits so anyone buying or who has bought current versions will be able to convert later when released in 2016.
    Last edited by Behmor; 4th March 2015 at 12:41 PM.
    Dimal likes this.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Behmor View Post
    This requires a full redesign of 2 PCBs, change in power supply, retool front panel, complex apps written for interface and a vastly different certification process because you are dealing with the FCCs of the world with 220v certification being extremely difficult because of different regs.
    Gotcha! But still 1600Watt right?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Hi Joe, my apologies if this comes off as rudely blunt, but... why? On a product where in-built safety functions prohibit you being away from the machine at the end, what is the rationale behind offering a BT/WiFi interface? Even if the safety is removed, it's pretty much required that you come back to the machine around first crack to cut the roast at the right time, even if you're using an auto profile, no?

    Am I missing something, or is it like a BT/WiFi microwave? (which I can't imagine being popular)
    MrFreddofrog likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,147
    Dragunov,
    I'd think the advantage would lie more in the ability to easily save details of the roaster settings and roast profile (continuous readings from each of the two sensors etc), than the ability to control roaster from an external device.

  10. #10
    Behmor Inc
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    Hi Joe, my apologies if this comes off as rudely blunt, but... why? On a product where in-built safety functions prohibit you being away from the machine at the end, what is the rationale behind offering a BT/WiFi interface? Even if the safety is removed, it's pretty much required that you come back to the machine around first crack to cut the roast at the right time, even if you're using an auto profile, no?

    Am I missing something, or is it like a BT/WiFi microwave? (which I can't imagine being popular)
    Not missing anything but BT/ WiFi can be set as a fence... walk outside that "fence" you'll get a "message" to return to the area within an allotted time and for those thinking of leaving their device within the fence and walk away, we have a fix for that too. Safety has been and is still at the forefront..
    Last edited by Behmor; 4th March 2015 at 12:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    154
    I'm in!

    Official list:

    1. Neofelis x 1

  12. #12
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Dragunov,
    I'd think the advantage would lie more in the ability to easily save details of the roaster settings and roast profile (continuous readings from each of the two sensors etc), than the ability to control roaster from an external device.
    Ah; I hadn't thought about BT datalogging...

    If you were able to pull and save temp graphs and (for example) set rules in the app (eg, when internal temperature reaches x, set heater to 25%, etc etc) then I could definitely see the value.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6

    Upgrade from oldest version?

    Can both the old 1600 and the 1600 plus be upgraded to the connected version?

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,985
    Quote Originally Posted by martinierius View Post
    Can both the old 1600 and the 1600 plus be upgraded to the connected version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Behmor View Post
    There will conversion kits so anyone buying or who has bought current versions will be able to convert later when released in 2016.

    Java "Say what?" phile
    Andy and martinierius like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Java "Say what?" phile
    Sorry, missed that.
    Andy likes this.

  16. #16
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    1,835
    Looks like Java was referring to the previous post from Behmor - it looks like only the current versions will be upgradable. However, as the older versions can be upgraded to current specs first … who knows!

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,985
    To upgrade from the 1600 to the 1600 Plus requires only the replacement of the front control panel. Seeing as the yet to be released 1600 Connected uses a new control panel any upgrade kit will include at least a new control panel. Seeing as the difference between the original 1600 and the 1600 Plus is only the control panel any upgrade kit that works on the 1600 Plus will also work on the original 1600.


    Java "Hurray for logic!" phile
    Andy and Dimal like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    149
    Not trying to sledge the new product idea, but wouldn't the money be better spent trying to design a new drum that allows BT logging? Struggling to see the extra utility in monitoring a time series of noisy ET measurements....
    MrFreddofrog likes this.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1

    1600+ vs. Behmor Connected

    Now that we have a ballpark figure for the Connected model, a very important question remains unanswered. Are the power gradient adjustments of 25% as see in the manual mode of the 1600+ going to be carried over to the Connected or will the latter have a more linear heat curve adjustment due to the software interface?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    58
    My popper died today - from overheating. 6th roast and I was just starting to get the hang of it I think. I'm happy enough that I want to continue roasting so I think I'll go the next step. Was going to order a Behmor 1600 but then noticed this new model on the Behmor website. Anyone have any idea about whether it's available yet or not?

    I wonder whether there's much to be gained or will the current model do the job equally well?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by pgseye; 19th July 2016 at 02:19 PM.

  21. #21
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,976
    Get the plus now and keep on roasting. From what I have read the plus will have more tweaking ability. And no doubt the new wifi panel will be offered as an upgrade so you can swap later when it's available and if it tickles your fancy.

    Cheers
    Andy and pgseye like this.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    18
    Any release dates yet?

  23. #23
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    15,334
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nup.
    ...and asking "are we there yet" really doesn't make anything happen any faster.

    The USA model production dates slipped and the software updates took longer then expected so the 220v/240v isn't even at prototype stage yet. Once built it will still need certification in each of the different markets/countries so it's still a long way off.

    Assuming I'm not under a non disclosure agreement (NDA) when the prototype hits here I'll certainly post up pictures and we will all know the progress timeline better.

    For the foreseeable future the tried and trusted Behmor 1600 plus coffee roaster and Behmor Plus Brazen brewer are available in BeanBay under "other stuff".
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

  24. #24
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    15,334
    Blog Entries
    1
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Nup.
    ...and asking "are we there yet" really doesn't make anything happen any faster.

    The USA model production dates slipped and the software updates took longer then expected so the 220v/240v isn't even at prototype stage yet. Once built it will still need certification in each of the different markets/countries so it's still a long way off.

    Assuming I'm not under a non disclosure agreement (NDA) when the prototype hits here I'll certainly post up pictures and we will all know the progress timeline better.

    For the foreseeable future the tried and trusted Behmor 1600 plus coffee roaster and Behmor Plus Brazen brewer are available in BeanBay under "other stuff".

    12 month update.
    Same status

    ...see above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •