Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By flynnaus
  • 2 Post By Lukemc
  • 2 Post By mkdorf
  • 3 Post By toomuchfuel
  • 1 Post By toomuchfuel
  • 2 Post By toomuchfuel
  • 2 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By mrgray
  • 1 Post By flynnaus

Thread: Stepping up from Behmor 1600 - what are the choices?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2

    Stepping up from Behmor 1600 - what are the choices?

    I run two Behmors and want to upgrade to something that can do a KG or two in one go.

    I've been waiting for the Bullet R1 but have lost hope that it'll arrive any time soon so what else is available in Oz for under $5K?

    If I had a choice I'd go for a gas heating solution (say 9kg bottles) and a 10 amp outlet although up to 15 amp would be fine.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,911
    One of the roasters that are sold under the name of North by Mill City in the US should fit these requirements. They are actually made in China I think and are rebranded and modified by a few different companies. The Chinese model name is JYR. Not sure if they come in under $5k, but they're probably close. They have both gas and electric options and do a 1kg model (that can roast a full 1kg apparently).

  3. #3
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,857
    I think there would be quite a few CSers in your position. Unless you can find something second hand, you will not find a commercial roaster for less than $5K. A gas heated roaster legally requires an expensive gas compliance certificate on top of the cost of the roaster. There are several companies in east Asia (China, Taiwan) building and exporting 1 kg electric roasters. Again, I doubt you will get one for less than $5K landed.
    Options: Build your own corretto or KKTO or wait until the Bullet gets here. Do we know the final price of the Oz version of the Bullet yet?
    Edit: Following up on LeroyC's post, the 1KG JYR LPG roaster will cost you $6K + freight. There is an ebay site where you can order these.
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    35
    Looks like they do a 2kg option as well, always good to have room for expansion. :-)

    I doubt I would ever get one however would be interested on any feedback if anyone in Aust has a JYR LPG roaster.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    625
    I have a 1kg gas JYR. itís great for its size. I can drop 1.2 kg to get a full 1kg roast if need be.
    matth3wh and rroodd like this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11

    Sedona Elite

    I have one of Buckeye coffee Sedona Elite 700 roasters. Well built, easy to use and very good looking. Do 700gr in 12min and can do LP or natural gas as well as electric. I am very happy with this roaster.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2
    Ok, was sick of waiting for a Bullet so got myself a refurbished air bed roaster. Arrived today and done two roasts and it's been an absolute pleasure to use. Have over a kg of roasted coffee in front of me and it too a mere 20 minutes to produce. One is a Brazil yellow bourbon just into second crack the other a Indian elephant Monsoon just about to hit 2nd crack. Can't wait to try them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28
    BBQ roaster is the only way to go imho. I've researched for 2 years including gumtree and have recently set one up and the results are amazing, the eveness is better than $50/kg boutique beans I used to buy. I'm buying beans in 100kg lots (3 x 30/35kg bags) of 3 origins, currently Columbia, Costa Rica and Brazil. I went with a four burner bbq, natural gas, glass viewing and a drum 500mm x 250mm diameter, it'll comfortably do 5kg but i mostly do 1kg.bbq_roaster.jpgColumbia.jpg
    rroodd, saeco_user and shewey like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    859
    Would be interested to know how you go cooling a 5kg batch.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    625
    Also how you control airflow and chaff collection

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28
    ATM I use an industrial fan straight over the drum (after opening the hood), works very well but blows all the chaff out the rear (I then vacuum up). But am in the process of getting a plenum made up to cool from underneath coupled with a catchment for the chaff

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    625
    What about airflow through the roast to clear smoke etc?

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    What about airflow through the roast to clear smoke etc?
    Ventilation within the BBQ itself is already very good, so natural convection clears the smoke quite nicely. Maybe I should make a video of the whole process??? Not sure my skills are up to it tho, reckon my daughter could do some editing tho
    Lukemc likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    188
    I love the BBQ roaster. Through the glass window can you actually see the beans in the drum as they change colour? To create a roast profile do you manually adjust gas or slightly lift the lid, or do you not worry?
    Can you easily hear 1st/2nd crack through the bbq and over the motor noise? Is there any reason you couldn't do a small batch size in it, say 300-600g?
    I'm thinking it may be a good next step up from a Coretto.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28
    I adjust the burners, usually I start them on full and don't need to adjust until 1st crack starts. No I don't see any reason why a small batch couldn't be time, it would just vary roast time and possibly temps.

    Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    I love the BBQ roaster. Through the glass window can you actually see the beans in the drum as they change colour? To create a roast profile do you manually adjust gas or slightly lift the lid, or do you not worry?
    Can you easily hear 1st/2nd crack through the bbq and over the motor noise? Is there any reason you couldn't do a small batch size in it, say 300-600g?
    I'm thinking it may be a good next step up from a Coretto.
    saeco_user and shewey like this.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66
    i am in this position (worse i am without Behmor as it "Err7" itself out of existence on the weekend). just wondering exactly what a "refurbished air bed roaster" is? is it one of these Sonofresco machines?

  17. #17
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    15,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgray View Post
    i am in this position (worse i am without Behmor as it "Err7" itself out of existence on the weekend).

    ERR7 is in the manual. You need to press [Start] during the 30 seconds unattended countdown (un30, un29, un28...) which happens at 75% of the roast

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    A gas heated roaster legally requires an expensive gas compliance certificate on top of the cost of the roaster.
    Hi Flynnaus
    sorry to ask from an old post but wondering if the gas compliance is needed for natural gas only installs or LPG also? The JYR LPG that uses a BBQ regulator and 9kg bottle seems like a great option but wondering if that needs a gas compliance also or comes certified?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    257
    So just to continue from the OP question and see if any other suggestions that are gas (prefer LPG) and powered via 10 or 15amp as i didn't want to start a new thread with same question.
    There is the North (Mill City) / JYR 1kg roaster but is there any other options that may be useful to look at?
    any feedback with first hand on any other options would be helpful too.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ERR7 is in the manual. You need to press [Start] during the 30 seconds unattended countdown (un30, un29, un28...) which happens at 75% of the roast
    yes i do that. i was in the middle of doing something stressful whilst also roasting and despite having the alarm set etc i missed the "opportunity" to press start. my reaction was childish and unhelpful (but also quite satisfying). i am now looking for a new roaster.
    Brewster likes this.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Brewster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maitland, NSW.
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgray View Post
    yes i do that. i was in the middle of doing something stressful whilst also roasting and despite having the alarm set etc i missed the "opportunity" to press start. my reaction was childish and unhelpful (but also quite satisfying). i am now looking for a new roaster.
    I know I probably shouldn't, but I just had to "like" this.
    Takes me back to a similar situation I found myself in with a whipper snipper many years ago.


    Mal

  22. #22
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Hi Flynnaus
    sorry to ask from an old post but wondering if the gas compliance is needed for natural gas only installs or LPG also? The JYR LPG that uses a BBQ regulator and 9kg bottle seems like a great option but wondering if that needs a gas compliance also or comes certified?
    You should find a gas appliance has already been certified. If you import from OS, you will need to obtain certification.

    Gas Appliance Certification | Labelling

    As per the link, the gas appliance can't be sold without australian compliance certification. Definitely seek advice before any purchase as compliance certification differs between states.
    I have never bought a gas roaster so perhaps those who have can advise. You don't want to void your home insurance or leave yourself liable to prosecution. Worst case, you don't want to blow yourself up.

    Last edited by flynnaus; 9th June 2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Mb21 likes this.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    110
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchfuel View Post
    BBQ roaster is the only way to go imho. I've researched for 2 years including gumtree and have recently set one up and the results are amazing, the eveness is better than $50/kg boutique beans I used to buy. I'm buying beans in 100kg lots (3 x 30/35kg bags) of 3 origins, currently Columbia, Costa Rica and Brazil. I went with a four burner bbq, natural gas, glass viewing and a drum 500mm x 250mm diameter, it'll comfortably do 5kg but i mostly do 1kg.bbq_roaster.jpgColumbia.jpg
    Where did you get the drum from for your setup? I'm doing coretto roasting with a bread maker and am looking for another low cost option.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •