10 Reasons To Buy A Hottop
If youre like most of us and love freshly roasted coffee, theres no better way than to do it yourself. But just in case you think theres only one little home roaster out there, heres 10 reasons to consider a Hottop roasting solution:
1) Hottops are the only roasters readily available in Australia that allow you to save roast profiles to memory for simple subsequent roasts
2) The Hottop is the quietest roaster on the market, with a quiet motor and drum operation, and air flow via a quiet rotary fan (not a blower)
3) The built-in cooling tray on the Hottop means your beans are cool within four minutes of the roast finishing. This compares favourably to others which use internal cooling where it can take more than 10 minutes to do the same. The importance of cooling is explained in the first edition of BeanScene (p.65), where Ross Quail, Master Roaster at Jasper Coffee writes: "...a coffee that has taken a long time to cool presents itself as somewhat flat, lifeless or with a baked flavour...", a statement backed up with some real-world testing mentioned in that article. And he doesn't sell roasters either, he just knows what brings out the best in coffee and it sure aint slow cooling.
4) Its design makes it easy to fit a bean mass temperature probe (such as the popular CS datalogging multimeter) so you can measure the actual bean temperature, rather than just the temperature of the air coming out of the roaster (which has little relationship to the bean temps). If you roast differing capacities of beans the difference between the bean temperatue and the air temperature will change, so not having a bean mass probe makes it very difficult to repeat a roast profile on a different amount of green bean. Bean mass probes can be purchased pre-installed when buying a Hottop from Things Coffee
5) Hottops give you control over the heater power AND the fan speed, giving you more flexibility over your roast
6) The use of smoke particle filters means its a low smoke roasting solution, making roasting indoors far easier than with filter-less devices
7) The roaster is built around a metal chassis with chromed steel panels and a stainless steel drum, rather than a plastic shell and a glass drum
8) Because they heat via radiation rather than heating large volumes of air, the Hottops 750W element consumes less power that some other roasters
9) The Hottop has a forced cooling and preheat cycle to ensure the drum is at the same temperature each time the beans are added. This leads to more repeatable roasts as the starting temperature is always the same
10) The Hottop B is the only roaster that can supply continuous intermediate power, which means perfectly smooth heating and no chance of burning beans - some other roasters apply 100% power until setpoint is reached, and then no power at all until it drops below setpoint - if you ask the B for 60% power it gives a continuous output of 60% power.
11) Unofficially they can roast over 500g of green beans. This isnt recommended of course and wed never encourage that, but in our testing they handled 350g, 400g and 500g just as well as 250g, unlike some other products which started burning beans as soon as we passed 300g.
12) They're locally imported and supported by Pullman Espresso Accessories, so you know you'll get great pre and post sales service!
Like every product, they're not perfect of course; they're more expensive than some others, they can be messier with chaff and the early D model Hottop got some bad press a few years ago (make sure you check which model Hottop theyre referring to if reading a review) - but having used them extensively were sure the good outweighs the bad!
Orders can be placed at Things Coffee | Pullman Tamper, Coffee Tamper, VST Filter Basket, VST Refractometer, Hottop, Coffee Roaster, KN-8828B-2. Grab one of the most advanced roasting solutions available and put a permanent end to upgraditis!
Like most things, you get what you pay for, so spend the money once and do it properly!
Greg and Robin