Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4

    An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Reading through this whole forum at a go I had an interesting throught.

    What happens when you have a blend full of many distictly different beans in relatively small ratios? *Does this lead to an inherently inconsistent flavour? *

    Let me illustrate; Imagine beans somehow have different colours roasted.

    Lets say our blend has 20% of each of the following
    Red beans - Tastes like bananas
    Blue beans - Tastes like blackberries
    Yellow beans - Tastes like potato
    Green beans - Tastes like honey
    Purple beans - Tastes like bubblegum

    Lets say we then run the result through your standard commercial coffee grinder and divide the result into a hundred individual 20gram cups. *Is the result in each cup the same colour/shade? Is the taste of each cup the same?

    Figure at any one time ten or so beans in the burrs getting ground, this then gets layered in this ratio in the doser. *Then another layer gets dropped on top, then the whole thing gets dropped pretty much as laid into your filter basket.

    Is this statistically random enough to always produce the same bannanaberrypotatohoneygum tasting grey mush every single time? Or does each of the cups hold a slightly different shade and flavour?

    Hmmm how would one test this? *What are the implications for blending?

    Thoughts? *

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,946

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    This has been discussed before on other forums; I remember a fairly good statistical analysis of it ... if I can find it, Ill post a link. In a nutshell and from memory, the maths works out that theres a heckuva lot of variation for any blend component thats less than something like 25 or 30%. The implication for blending is that keeping it simple is probably going to keep the flavour more consistent.

    Another level of complexity is that different beans are of different sizes and weights; presumably there is some separation because of it in the bag and in the hopper. For example, if you make a blend of 50% maragogype (screen size = 20+) and 50% mokka (screen size <10), how will the blend turn out when you tip it into the grinder? Will the mokka tend to settle into the bottom of the bag and, so, end up in the top of the grinder when you tip it out?

    Cheers,
    Luca

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    Quote Originally Posted by 564F595B3A0 link=1252053302/1#1 date=1252054000
    This has been discussed before on other forums; I remember a fairly good statistical analysis of it ... if I can find it, Ill post a link. *In a nutshell and from memory, the maths works out that theres a heckuva lot of variation for any blend component thats less than something like 25 or 30%. *The implication for blending is that keeping it simple is probably going to keep the flavour more consistent. *

    Another level of complexity is that different beans are of different sizes and weights; presumably there is some separation because of it in the bag and in the hopper. *For example, if you make a blend of 50% maragogype (screen size = 20+) and 50% mokka (screen size <10), how will the blend turn out when you tip it into the grinder? *Will the mokka tend to settle into the bottom of the bag and, so, end up in the top of the grinder when you tip it out?

    Cheers,
    Luca
    That said Luca the fewer beans you have of any particular variety the less impact variation in percentages will have in the cup. This would go some way to canceling out the above factors although not entirely.

    There will be no hard and fast rule. Obviously the respective boldness of coffees relative their proportion also makes a difference, For example If you were using 80% Brazil Bourbon and 20% PNG peaberry, variation in the ratios would have a much bigger difference in the cup then if it were the other way around.

  4. #4
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    What about when your blend is 80% beans/20% concrete?? ;D

  5. #5
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    Quote Originally Posted by 663921373C373B3232313139353A540 link=1252053302/3#3 date=1252240210
    What about when your blend is 80% beans/20% concrete?? *;D
    mmmmmmmm crunchy



    KK

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    Quote Originally Posted by 065941575C575B5252515159555A340 link=1252053302/3#3 date=1252240210
    What about when your blend is 80% beans/20% concrete?? *;D
    Chris could you be more specific? It all depends on the type of concrete your going too use. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete#Types_of_concrete

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    437

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    Quote Originally Posted by 04212A2D3A3C31480 link=1252053302/0#0 date=1252053302
    Lets say our blend has 20% of each of the following
    Red beans - Tastes like bananas
    Blue beans - Tastes like blackberries
    Yellow beans - Tastes like potato
    Green beans - Tastes like honey
    Purple beans - Tastes like bubblegum

    ha ha ha. From my fingerpainting days this combination always turned out brown!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    366

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    Quote Originally Posted by 77504A5B5252575A5B4E4A563E0 link=1252053302/6#6 date=1253015474
    Quote Originally Posted by 04212A2D3A3C31480 link=1252053302/0#0 date=1252053302
    Lets say our blend has 20% of each of the following
    Red beans - Tastes like bananas
    Blue beans - Tastes like blackberries
    Yellow beans - Tastes like potato
    Green beans - Tastes like honey
    Purple beans - Tastes like bubblegum

    ha ha ha. From my fingerpainting days this combination always turned out brown!
    So, are you saying itll taste like s... ;D

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: An interesting thought about blends in grinders

    If you have, say, a cheeky 10% dash of robusta, this represents 1.4 beans, if your typical shot is 14 beans. The chance that every shot will contain 1.4 beans of robusta are very low (as has been quantified elsewhere). The only ways to be sure you get the proportions right would be:

    - have multiple grinders. If you have a blend thats 45/45/10, you could have one grinder for the 45/45, and another for the 10.

    - start with an empty hopper, and drop in the 14 beans you want. One bean = 7%, 2 beans = 14%, so you *cant* have 10% of a particular bean using this method. The difference between 7% robusta and 14% robusta will be pronounced.

    - grind the whole hopper-load, shake up the grounds, and use the lot within a few minutes

    - genetically modify coffee beans so that they are the size of sesame seeds. If you need 500 of them instead of 14, youll have a much better chance of getting the blend profile you want.

    - pull several shots with SO beans, then combine them in the proportion you want

    - alright, this is getting silly, now..

    - simply accept the fact if you have a junior partner in your blend (>~30%), no two shots will taste quite alike.



Similar Threads

  1. Thought please
    By Coma11 in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20th November 2011, 10:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th July 2009, 06:07 PM
  3. Who would have thought it possible?
    By Koffee_Kosmo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd November 2008, 05:37 PM
  4. Thought for the day
    By admin in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd October 2004, 08:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •