Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DesigningByCoffee

Thread: Bean selection

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    41

    Bean selection

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys

    From the BeanBay selection of green beans which one would give a mild taste as a flat white without blending.

    Something smooth.

    My daughter likes the idea of drinking coffee, without the strong taste.

    Gil

  2. #2
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,611
    Hmmmm.....lots of things affect whether you get a 'mild taste' in a flat white.

    The PNG Wahgi might well suit, but so will a good proportion of the available beans. The Brazil PN and Mexico options would also work.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Hmmmm.....lots of things affect whether you get a 'mild taste' in a flat white.

    The PNG Wahgi might well suit, but so will a good proportion of the available beans. The Brazil PN and Mexico options would also work.
    Thanks for info Barry.

    Roasting to say C8, before second crack help with "mildness"?

  4. #4
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by GilR View Post
    Thanks for info Barry.

    Roasting to say C8, before second crack help with "mildness"?
    Dropping early will simply reduce the overall strength & flavour of any SO - rather than give you the full impact of a lovely, yet mild bean.
    Second the PNG - get this right you can get closer to a caramel milkshake than coffee! And Yirgacheffe gives a really interesting result too - beautiful warm spice flavours through milk. The Indian Peaberry is nice and sweet too… but all of these mild need just before/on second crack to reach their potential

    Cheers Matt
    Dimal and chokkidog like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Mild to me suggests Brazilian or Colombian...

  6. #6
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Yeah - it's a hard one.
    The number of people who have said to me "I don't like coffee" or "I don't like strong coffee" are often used to strong, feral, dark roasted, over extracted, uncleaned machine bitterness which has to cut through 4 sugars and 1 litre of milk.
    I make all of my coffee pretty strong (single shot into a small 160ml glass for flats) but with no bitterness there have been a number of converts - people say things like "Oh that's quite sweet!" - and we all say in unison "That's what coffee is supposed to taste like!"

    Brasil's are good too - super smooth, sweet milk chic… when you roast them well

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
    Yeah - it's a hard one.
    The number of people who have said to me "I don't like coffee" or "I don't like strong coffee" are often used to strong, feral, dark roasted, over extracted, uncleaned machine bitterness which has to cut through 4 sugars and 1 litre of milk.
    I make all of my coffee pretty strong (single shot into a small 160ml glass for flats) but with no bitterness there have been a number of converts - people say things like "Oh that's quite sweet!" - and we all say in unison "That's what coffee is supposed to taste like!"
    Brasil's are good too - super smooth, sweet milk chic… when you roast them well
    She takes two sugars as well !!!!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •