Thread: Breville BES820

Breville BES820

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

For christmas I was given an 820. Looks flash and all that...

Background: I love coffee, and would call myself a bit of a snob. But as far as making my own, this is a very new thing.

First up, the machines filter basket is pressurized (why they do this in a professional series machine I do not know). So a new one of these is in order. After searching the forums I think Krups is the way to go. But I am unsure about what I am exactly asking for (are there different sizes etc that i will need to quote)

Secondly, I have been told that the actual portafilter is designed for the pressurized basket. I was told I will also be needing to replayse that. Which I am happy to do - but same issues, how do I go about that/will it fit etc etc (and is this true, do i need this? as noone else in the forums with 800 series is saying they need it.)

My third problem im not sure if it is related to the above is that this machine has a Pressure Guage. Which I found pretty funky. In the pictures of the machine the pressure goes up quite a bit, and seems to produce a great shot. However no matter how hard i tamp, how fine i grind - The pressure guage only just nips over into optimum. And unfortunately resulting in fairly bitter coffee.

My parents think im an idiot for all the complaining as its coffee, its meant to be bitter. ...Damn instant drinkers.

If anyone wants any further info, I was thinking about taking a few short movies of the machine pulling shots, the guage etc etc.

Anyway any help would be great.

Cheers

JS

Re: Breville BES820

Update: I decided Id go ahead and order the Krups basket. However apparently Krups will not ship to Australia (Perth). I have called the only 3 places I can find in Perth that sell parts, all of which tell me they do not have what Im after. I even asked about the one breville machine that has non-pressurized baskets, and the lady told me that I had incorrect information.

So any advice? Ive had a look on CoffeeParts.com but am unsure of the size I would be looking at.

Cheers

Second Update: I ended up settleing (for now) for the ESP4/78 (barItalia) even though ive heard many bad things.

Do I also need to find a new portafilter?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 425B584D464B4D280 link=1232341856/1#1 date=1232427233
    Update: I decided Id go ahead and order the Krups basket. *However apparently Krups will not ship to Australia (Perth). I have called the only 3 places I can find in Perth that sell parts, all of which tell me they do not have what Im after. I even asked about the one breville machine that has non-pressurized baskets, and the lady told me that I had incorrect information.

So any advice? Ive had a look on CoffeeParts.com but am unsure of the size I would be looking at.

Cheers
    If you still want the Krups basket let me know the part number and there is a good chance I can pick one up here...

A_M

My first thought is that the ESP4 at $100 is at the lowest end of the market and do not expect too much from it..

The BES820 looks and ( cost $ 500 ) would appear to be the better of the two.. Would assume there might be more users of the 820 here and thus some user support..

Cheers, I might have to take you up on that. Ill just wait till the ESP4 filter arrives and have a play arround and Ill get back to you on that promptly. Thanks!!

A_M

Oh, you were getting the ESP4 filter.. I though for a second you were going to buy an ESP4...

Haha, def not.
    I honestly wouldnt have even bought the 820 if it wasnt a gift.

I still have a worry that my PF isnt going to be suitable with the non-pressurized filter. Ill post up a pic of the PF when i get back from work.

(Sorry, as I said I am extremely new to espresso machines - All I know is that this machine isnt cutting it at the moment)

Alright - Here are the pics of my PF. My concern is the little black thing at the bottom - it looks like it does a similar thing to the pressurized basket. And when i take it out i have this huge hole in the middle where high pressurized water shoots out (when i run a blank shot w/o filter basket)

My ESP4/ Filter Basket arrives in 5 days.

So, is this portafilter normal?

Its very much like "the greame" on the 6910 filters, designed for people who dont preheat the PF before the coffee, unfortunately they have created a 3rd hole in the bottom of the PF.

If you leave it out, you will simply have 3 streams of coffee when you brew a shot. If you only brew into 1 cup, shouldnt be an issue, but if you want to do 2 cups, then it could be tricky.

I have the Ikon at the shop, it has an eject button (for pushing out the filter) and all that black plastic stuff at the bottom of the PF. Ideally I would take it out, but I brew 1 and 2 cups, so a third opening in the PF would not suit me.

as far as I know it is not "crema enhancing" nor pressurse etc, so shouldnt cause any issues removing it.

Cheers

Sen

Hi jspence,

The PF is the same as on the 800ES, which is what I have. I took out the plasticky bit, as its impossible to clean properly; instead, I got a small stainless bolt, nut, and a cup washer, and blanked the hole in the bottom of the PF. Easier to clean, still only get 2 streams.

I also got the Bar Italia basket for my PF -- fits perfectly, slightly better in fact than the old pressurized one (its a little tighter, and my PF spring must have been getting a little floppy with age). I ordered mine from my local appliance repair shop that does Breville gear.

The thing that made the most difference in coffee quality was getting a decent grinder and only using fresh beans; if youre using supermarket coffee, its stale (even if youve never opened the bag). Get you to a local roaster, or order some beans from the Bean Bay (top left corner of this site).