Thread: Upgrading..but confused!

Upgrading..but confused!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi. Having owned a cheap Breville Cafe Roma for several years, the time has come for a new machine....Now I primarily drink long and short blacks and the very occasional latte, so steaming is not a huge issue for me.

With my Sunbeam ($199) grinder and fresh beans I have managed to perfect excellent shots that rival anything I had in Rome(or Melbourne!) and even get excellent foam if I can be bothered. I was going to jump in and get a Silvia because it seems the thing to do...but I am wondering if there is any need to spend so much money considering my needs.

So I am asking for tips on a replacement...I want a boiler over a thermoblock......My shortlist would be

Breville Ikon
    Silvia
    Saeco Via Venezia
    Gaggia Classic
    Java Espresso Perfetto on special $629..anyone know this machine??

Any helpful hints are most appreciated!

Daniel

TC

Re: Upgrading..but confused!

Quote Originally Posted by 54515E59555C05070901300 link=1232698156/0#0 date=1232698156
    Hi. Having owned a cheap Breville Cafe Roma for several years, the time has come for a new machine....Now I primarily drink long and short blacks *and the very occasional latte, so steaming is not a huge issue for me.

With my Sunbeam ($199) grinder and fresh beans I have managed to perfect excellent shots that rival anything I had in Rome(or Melbourne!) and even get excellent foam if I can be bothered. I was going to jump in and get a Silvia because it seems the thing to do...but I am wondering if there is any need to spend so much money considering my needs.

So I am asking for tips on a replacement...I want a boiler over a thermoblock......My shortlist would be

Breville Ikon
    Silvia
    Saeco Via Venezia
    Gaggia Classic
    Java Espresso Perfetto on special $629..anyone know this machine??

Any helpful hints are most appreciated!

Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

If you have the means, perhaps add the Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo to your list. Youll get a far more consistent shot from it and its a very tweakable machine. I am presently using one as my weekend machine and there are a legion of happy CS owners- some with more than one! Its dramatically superior to any on your list....

2mcm

In your list, the Sylvia and Gaggia Classic are the easy standouts, each with pluses and minuses. Either are so far ahead of your Roma, you will be astounded at what they can do. In comparision, Chriss Vibiemme is undoubtably better but also costs far more and the difference vs the cheaper boiler machines is no where near as dramatic as with the Roma (for any of these 3).

In short, the Sylvia can produce a slightly better ultimate shot and will steam far more strongly than a Gaggia but the Gaggia is quite a lot more forgiving and will cycle much more quickly from brew to steam mode so that overall time from pulling shots to finishing steaming enough milk for 2 lattes is about the same.

Given your usage, Id go with a used Gaggia Classic so that you can upgrade to Chriss Vibiemme more quickly if the urge hits you (the Sylvias hold their value more strongly so you are unlikely to find one for $250). That said, a double basket ristretto from a Gaggia is very hard to beat and not at all hard to pull consistently.

I am in Melbourne and would be quite happy to demonstrate (my Lux grinder is functionally equivalent to yours).

Thanks for the help...still deciding.....was even about to buy an old Italian Lever machine last night from Germany til common sense got the better of me....The Gaggia seems the most sensible value choice, but if I was going to buy new I think I would go for the Silvia or even a Nemox Fenice. I worry about buying the Gaggia second hand with the potential corrosion issues. In the meantime my current machine is broken so I am relying on stovetop coffee and Im not altogether happy! >:(

Quote Originally Posted by 74717E79757C25272921100 link=1232698156/3#3 date=1233557996
    The Gaggia seems the most sensible value choice, but if I was going to buy new I think I would go for the Silvia or even a Nemox Fenice.
    Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Daniel..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I can highly recommend the Nemox Fenice line of machines, having owned and used a similar machine for a number of years. It represents excellent value for money and is only very slightly behind the Silvia in terms of quality. Will still last you a lifetime though providing you do your part....

All the best mate and happy shopping ;) ;D

Mal.

Perhaps I have now lost the plot.

After visiting a coffee roaster and being showed the Expobar Minore II today, I now want to spend Mr Rudds money to the max and get something that will be my be all to end all.

I know this should now be in the $1500 to $3000 category, but anyway....Now as awesome as this and other machines appear....ECM Giotto and also the Piccolo listed above....am I completely going over the top here....I can afford it, but I am not one to spend for spendings sake. Will my espresso be that much better than if I was using a Silvia for example?

Next question would be...for my simple espresso and occasional latte needs..is the double boiler of the expobar a necessity, or would the Giotto with one suffice?

Sorry for so much info....but if I dont get something ordered soon I may be visiting an asylum....

Will my espresso be that much better than if I was using a Silvia for example?
    Not necessarily but you will be able to do it 90 percent more often and more consistently with a HX machine

Next question would be...for my simple espresso and occasional latte needs..is the double boiler of the expobar a necessity, or would the Giotto with one suffice?
    A good HX machine is more than adequate

KK