Thread: Gaggia Classic vs Saeco Via Venezia

Gaggia Classic vs Saeco Via Venezia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys & Gals!

I have a Seaco VV, I like it but I am wondering whether the classic would have been a better buy. I got it from Myer so I can take it back, they had a classic there for only $50 more.

I drink machiattos and long blacks, so shots are important... I can get ok shots with the VVs WEIRD pressurized group head and Lavazza.

I dont quite have the budget to buy a grinder yet - I only have one of those little $30 ones.

The thing that tipped me towards the VV was the Stainless steel boiler vs the Aluminium boiler in the classic.

Any thoughts?

Re: Gaggia Classic vs Saeco Via Venizia

Gday ds,

welcome to cs! *I owned a vv for a few years and it is a very capable entry level machine. *Between the two the vv is a good option provided you either depresurize the group handle (just disassemble and remove the interior components--including the false floor) or buy a non-pressurized one. *this will *improve your shots dramatically. *you will however, need to invest in a decent tamper now that you need to supply the necessary pressure.
    secondly, as you pointed out --- buy a grinder! *look around for a 2nd hand on here on cs. *you can pick up entry level grinders that will do adequate work for around 150-250. *spend as much as you can on the grinder! *and get fresh beans (avoid overseas brands) find an aussie roaster with "roasted on" dates and use within 2-3 weeks if you can. see site sponsors <---- or the "brown bay" ^.

the stainless boiler is a good feature. *provided you make these adjustments, the vv is a good machine. *

cheers,

sd

Get the Classic - the full size (58mm PF) gives you a lot more scope to pull shots that will rival that of a HX machine (I own both) - a double basket single shot from a domestic Gaggia is VERY, VERY good and you just cant get that volume of coffee into a shot on a 53mm PF (unless you pull tiny shots). You notice this particularly with the type of drinks that you prefer.

Dont worry about the aluminium boiler unless the water in your area is rather acidic.

kaanage is right about the convenience of the 58mm basket (and the many options for tampers that fit)...however, volume is not a problem as the vv 53mm is quite deep. i was able to pack 20g into it which will give you a decent double.

Hi posters,

thanks for the replies. I think I am happy with the VV. I just cant get past the SS vs alum. boiler!

Hearing you about the 58mm, I did like the group head on the classic much more, the VV has that silly spring loaded plastic arrangment. However I am able to get more than enough strong coffee out of the double basket, enough for my wife and I.

Question: can you recommend a tamper? I live in adelaide but I *suppose* I could wait for one in the post. I measured the basket and it looks about 55mm - does that sound right, VV owners?

Quote Originally Posted by 434E4458595B43370 link=1233364246/4#4 date=1233487321
    I measured the basket and it looks about 55mm - does that sound right, VV owners?
    I used to have a VV and Im pretty sure it was 53mm.

Re: Gaggia Classic vs Saeco Via Venezia

Our records (Pullman tampers) indicate the basket is about 53mm (could be anywhere from about 53mm to 54mm as they do vary in size - just like most baskets)

Quote Originally Posted by 6C4742422E0 link=1233364246/5#5 date=1233490734
    Quote Originally Posted by 434E4458595B43370 link=1233364246/4#4 date=1233487321
    I measured the basket and it looks about 55mm - does that sound right, VV owners?
    I used to have a VV and Im pretty sure it was 53mm.
    mine was 53 but I sent it to Pullman tampers and had one made to fit. :)
    get rid of the "Silly spring loaded plastic arrangement" and it will make a huge difference.

sd

Yes, I did pull out the contraption, but then not having a grinder made it a bit of a pointless exercise! Standard Lavazza made very weak coffee without the spring. Also you lose the ability of the handle to spring back into place... not a big deal but annoying.

I would love a Pullman - how to convince the wife!! $100 for a tamper? I tried those plain chrome ones you can get around the place ages ago on another machine but it was about 1mm too big for that basket (Sunbeam cafe ristretto), not sure if it would fit this one.

Maybe I will take my machine into coffee barun and see if we can get one to fit.

yeah...you need a proper fitting tamper once you remove the mechanism...and fresh beans...and a half decent grinder ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 657B797D736F7273757D160 link=1233364246/3#3 date=1233438381
    volume is not a problem as the vv 53mm is quite deep. *i was able to pack 20g into it which will give you a decent double.
    Quite deep? To get 20g into a 53mm basket, it must be like a bucket!

You cant get a 58mm single baskets contents to fit into a Sunbeam/Breville 53mm double basket.

Quote Originally Posted by 303D372B2A2830440 link=1233364246/8#8 date=1233533582
    I would love a Pullman - how to convince the wife!! $100 for a tamper?
    Welcome to CoffeeSnobs dark_syrup.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Its a lifetime proposition though "d_s".... And even if you upgrade your machine further on down the track you would be able to have a replacement base made to suit the new basket size and still retain the ownership of a beautifully made Pullman Tamper. Ive got three of them and some additional handles to swap around as the mood takes me. Cant own too many Pullman Tampers ;) ::)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4D474748474143260 link=1233364246/10#10 date=1233557449
    Quote Originally Posted by 657B797D736F7273757D160 link=1233364246/3#3 date=1233438381
    volume is not a problem as the vv 53mm is quite deep. [ch65533]i was able to pack 20g into it which will give you a decent double.
    Quite deep? To get 20g into a 53mm basket, it must be like a bucket!

You cant get a 58mm single baskets contents to fit into a Sunbeam/Breville 53mm double basket.
    yeah, its deeper. can be a bugger to empty too as it doesnt knock out very easily. life is a lot easier and cleaner with the 58mm vbm.

There are a number of options regarding 53mm tampers that fit the V.V.

If Mark Barun cant help, give me hoy (PM or email) and I can put you in touch with a non-sponsor that has had such beasts for under $30.

As mentioned above, to improve the coffee out-of-sight, you need to budget for a decent grinder (the Sunbeam 450 at around $140 will do, especially if funds are tight and you are not convinced that upgraditis will strike), and then get rid of the false crema innards. This is easy and reversible.

Greg

Hi Greg, I will PM re the tamper.

I have heard differing views as to whether the modified PF is as good as a plain PF. Also, I have modified mine and now the handle doesnt spring back! :(

I thing the sunbeam sounds good... although I am a sucker for GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)