Thread: Sunbeam 4800C wet steam?

Sunbeam 4800C wet steam?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, all. Im new to this field, but enjoying it immensely. Sucks you right in, doesnt it! ;D

Anyway, Ive only had my machine a few weeks, but already picking up on lots of tips here (yes, Ive got my EM480 grinder and Krups filter on order!). This is the first machine Ive ever looked at (learnt basics from the supplied DVD, which is pretty good).

Anyway, my steam seems too wet. I have posted a video on you tube, and wonder if anyone can give me a comment on it. This is after the machine is well and truly warmed up, and is in steady state steaming. Should you be able to hold you hand directly under the steam like I can??

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ef5FAN5vU

Also, not sure whether this test means anything, but to measure the amount of water I get from the steam, I half fill a mug with water, weigh and tare the scale (1g resolution), then steam it with nozzle under the surface for 30 seconds. Reweigh. Ive done this quite a few times and tyoically 17-20 g (ml) of water is added. *Can someone try this experiment and let me know what you get?

BTW, I have been able to create great microfoam, but I wonder with dry steam whether I might do much better. I changed the froth attachment steam wand, to the larger all metal wand that is standard on the 3600, 3800, 5600, etc. The above test is with this wand (got lucky and my local sunbeam repair guys gave me one!).

Help!?

A_M

Re: Sunbeam 4800C wet steam?

Steam into a empty Jug for 30 sec and see what you get...

I would suggest it is a bit wet and maybe not quite hot enough.

People forget that you can not see real steam.... What you seeing is the steam condensing and in your case, water that has not gotten as hot as it should or is being cooled ??

I can put my hand up into the EM6910 steam but may not as close as you, on the default setting. On dry it is hotter and I would not recommend.

The bigger steam wand and tip will also cause the steam to be more moist, as it offer greater surface area for cooling and condensing in the wand..

My EM4800 was never that wet, but my mates was... In the end we modified the control board to slow down the pump rate... However as every one we looked at was different. And the control chip is set by taking input lines low....

It was a case of having to cut tracks and add in links... Then try and then mod again, until a reasonable result was had. In coffee mode, the pump runs flat out, but in steam mode it is pulsed at a slower rate to allow the thermoblock to heat the water hot enough... I still have the cct etc and it may have even been posted at one stage... However unless you skilled it is dangerous as there is 240V on board and teh cct controls the triac driving the pump...

We also found that any scale or crap build up was also a cause of steam problems... My mate went mad ( I want to shoot him) and also found a slightly higher rated thermo switch and put that in... I understand that helped as well.

In the end, he realized that the EM4800 was never built to be modified so much and he progressed to a EM6910... That being said, he has had the 6910 for neigh on 18 months and never had a problem...

Do not know if all this helps, but it may put your mind to rest... OR NOT.... :D

Thanks, AM.

I wonder if your friend you are referring to is KM - I saw an ealier post about a 10K pot....

I am an electronics engineer and would be interested in mods but not until the warranty expires. I understand there is variability in these models, so I intend to take to the SB service centre and see what they say, maybe will get a different one to try.

The steam seems identical with the bigger wand as with the supplied smaller wand/rubber attachment arrangement. Internal pipe diameter seems similar.

I did try into a jug, but I figure there is more variability without steaming into a liquid, as the result probably depends on temp of jug, andle of steam, etc. Also, after a while, half the condensing liquid is spattered out of the jug by the incoming steam, so I tried the method above, which gave consistent results.

Got my EM480 ginder yesterday, but today had to head off on a 2 week trip so havent really had a play yet! * :(

A_M

Thanks, AM.

No Probs...

I wonder if your friend you are referring to is KM - I saw an ealier post about a 10K pot....

YEP ... Ended up not being able to use a pot.

Having only a post or two under ya belt.... You reference to KM suggested to me that you have attempted to do your home work and find things out, rather than just asking the same old Questions or expect every one else to do the work for you..

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he will feed himself for a life time.

WELCOME to CS... Where abouts on that speck of dirt ;) are you located ?

I am an electronics engineer and would be interested in mods but not until the warranty expires. I understand there is variability in these models, so I intend to take to the SB service centre and see what they say, maybe will get a different one to try.
    Off to a cupping today... will try to remember to send in the mods. *Would have more trust if you were an electronics tec and or had a Restricted Lience... *But I guess the formal Quals will get you past first base *;D * To be on the safe side... *Please provide all education details and your reg number, so that I can do a look up and police check *:D... *Also your Blue card details... Not the one for working with kids, but the First aid and construction site WHS one *::)

Sorry... Had to do it *;)

The steam seems identical with the bigger wand as with the supplied smaller wand/rubber attachment arrangement. Internal pipe diameter seems similar.
    More than Possible... But had to mention as it is another variable...

I did try into a jug, but I figure there is more variability without steaming into a liquid, as the result probably depends on temp of jug, andle of steam, etc. Also, after a while, half the condensing liquid is spattered out of the jug by the incoming steam, so I tried the method above, which gave consistent results.
    Your correct, however *many may not have the tools or the patience * SB do it into a jug and then look at the volume... For the EM6910 it should have about *20ml after 60 sec.. *ON DEFAULT... *I get about 30ml *on the wet setting...

Never checked on the EM 4800 but it is sounding like you getting about twice *the condensation :-?

Thanks, AM.

Ill try into a 600ml jug with no liquid when I get home. From the sounds of it, I may only have 50% extra water over the standard setting on the 6910, so it might just be worth living with (I suppose you DO have to get something for the extra dollars!!). As an aside today I looked at a 6910 in a shop and noticed it had a pressurised basket - I thought this was supposed to be a more "professional" machine??

Ill ignore the dig at engineers, but after 30 years experience doing pretty much everything, I figure Im up for it (and no, I dont burn my fingers on the soldering iron ;D)

Quote Originally Posted by 320A0B0E3D280D0C0711620 link=1233722828/4#4 date=1234183393
    As an aside today I looked at a 6910 in a shop and noticed it had a pressurised basket - I thought this was supposed to be a more "professional" machine??
    Hi TsaaieBean,

Welcome to CS.

It comes with both pressurised (for normal domestic users who buy stupidmarket stale coffee) and normal baskets (for those who know what they are doing - using fresh beans and appropriate technique)...

Sunbeam have just covered all bases!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 19212025160326272C3A490 link=1233722828/4#4 date=1234183393
    Thanks, AM.

Ill try into a 600ml jug with no liquid when I get home. From the sounds of it, I may only have 50% extra water over the standard setting on the 6910, so it might just be worth living with (I suppose you DO have to get something for the extra dollars!!). As an aside today I looked at a 6910 in a shop and noticed it had a pressurised basket - I thought this was supposed to be a more "professional" machine??

Ill ignore the dig at engineers, but after 30 years experience doing pretty much everything, I figure Im up for it (and no, I dont burn my fingers on the soldering iron *;D)
    What... I still burn my fingers... Short term memory loss... Need more coffee... Good to see you have a sense of humor ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 03283F280B490 link=1233722828/5#5 date=1234183806
    It comes with both pressurised (for normal domestic users who buy stupidmarket stale coffee) and normal baskets (for those who know what they are doing - using fresh beans and appropriate technique)...

Sunbeam have just covered all bases!
    WHAT he said... And it is interesting that even while SB have identified " stupidmarket stale coffee beans" that people still buy and put into the non pressurized PF and complain about no crema..

Well, to finish this saga on the original topic... I came back from my two week trip just itching to get decent coffee again (more on that below).

Anyway after one day home, my 4800C packed it in (wouldnt draw enough water in for either expresso or steaming function to work properly). A quick phone call to those Sunbeam people, and Im on my way down to pick up a new machine. New machine generates much the same steam wetness as the old one, so Ill just live with it as is. Besides, gives me an excuse to upgrade one day!

Footnote - was in China for 2 weeks. Probably not the best place for coffee, and the Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea leaf, etc, charged around 7 Aussie Dollars per cup (ouch!). What was worse, it wasnt much chop by CoffeeSnob standards. One latte I had burnt my mouth, and the milk had that horrible boiled taste. One mouthful and I just walked out. Yes, my company was paying (one small grace!).