Thread: Dry puck from pressurised baskets?

Dry puck from pressurised baskets?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Was using my father in laws machine at christmas which had pressurised baskets and I was always ending up with a sloppy puck. Is this normal for these types of baskets? If not what was I doing wrong? (BTW I was using fresh beans freshly ground)

Did a quick search but couldnt find a thread (I assume there is one discussing this)

A_M

Re: Dry puck from pressurised baskets?

Quote Originally Posted by 2C222F203721204E0 link=1235160679/0#0 date=1235160679
    Was using my father in laws machine at christmas which had pressurised baskets and I was always ending up with a sloppy puck. Is this normal for these types of baskets? If not what was I doing wrong? (BTW I was using fresh beans freshly ground)

Did a quick search but couldnt find a thread (I assume there is one discussing this)
    If using pressurised baskets U will need to grind course and tamp hard... If too fine you will get sloppy pucks.

Thanks I hope I will never have to apply that knowledge, but a handy thing to know.

Part of the sloppy puck thing is the actual pressurised bit of the basket not letting the leftover moisture drain past it unlike a normal basket. Also unless soaked and cleaned well I understand they can clag up with fines and cause problems.

BTW My Solis came with Pressurised baskets to start with (only used them for a few weeks) and I found I could get as good a result with them with stupormarket preground or ground freshroasted to "look at" in the cup as far as fake crema goes. But the fresh ground tasted so much better :)

Quote Originally Posted by 48676E6C7B446867686E6C646C677D090 link=1235160679/1#1 date=1235167945
    Quote Originally Posted by 2C222F203721204E0 link=1235160679/0#0 date=1235160679

If using pressurised *baskets U will need to grind course and tamp hard... *If too fine you will get sloppy pucks.

Cheers for that bit of info, Ive been wondering whats been going wrong since I bought my 800es (3 weeks ago), non pressurised baskets are on the way