Thread: Aldi Espresso Machine

Aldi Espresso Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Okay, I know this wont be met with alot of approval, but Im looking at getting the latest coffee machine from Aldi. Its another Lumina machine which seem to get good feedback. This ones quite small, which I love, and very basic, which I also love. *Heres a link:

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_7335.htm

Its on sale from Thursday for $69. As Im the only one making coffee in the house and know what Im doing, is it unreasonable to expect Ill get decent coffee out of this for a year or maybe more?

Thanks for your comments.

Re: Aldi Espresso Machine

Welcome to CS Nickelcan!

If $69.00 is your budget then give it a go. Hang on to your receipt as Im sure there would be some warranty, then take it home and have a play. If you can source some fresh coffee, it will help too.

Although Id personally prefer to buy a nice plunger, we all start somewhere, and if it ends up making you even just 50 coffees that you enjoy, then it will have well and truly paid for itself and its gotta be better than instant - yes?

Cheers!

brad74

Spend another $20 and get the Sunbeam Ristretto, I had mine for about 3 years gave it to my Brother and its still going strong. Has a small boiler compared to I dare say a Thermoblock, and with some replacement unpresurised baskets can make a OK espresso. I actually chose the Sunbeam Ristretto over machines upto about $350, mainly due to price and the boiler. Im not sure the Ikon was around when I purchased the Sunbeam and was not disappointed with it as my first machine. Without having purchased anything that has had to be returned to Aldi I would think that Sunbeam warranty would win hands down, and that would make the $20 worth it on its own.

I have seen these on sale once for about $70 (Only once) a few years ago you will mainly find them around the $90 mark. I only remember the sale as I had just purchased mine about 2 mths previous so I was at the stage where if your in a store you go and check out the prices of something you bought (Does anyone else do that or just me?) and I was annoyed at the sale price.

If its anything like their bicycles, then I would be giving it 3-4 weeks. My neighbour bought a bike at Aldi a month ago and it was on the hard rubbish collection pile on Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by 58535A59010E02360 link=1235295565/3#3 date=1235367206
    If its anything like their bicycles, then I would be giving it 3-4 weeks. My neighbour bought a bike at Aldi a month ago and it was on the hard rubbish collection pile on Tuesday!
    Pardon me saying this, but your neighbour is a fool. Aldi has one of the best money-back guarantees on the market. If something doesnt work, take it back and get a replacement or your money back.
    Ive had at least a dozen things, from a laptop computer to coffee beans (yes, I know!) refunded when they didnt meet expectation.
    If there was somethig wrong with the bike, it should have gone back for a refund.
    The same probably goes for the current coffee machine offer.

Welcome "Nickelcan".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Id support Brads recommendation though.... The little SB Ristretto punches way above its weight and is manufactured well enough to last you a few years. Most K-Mart and BigW stores stock them and they also have a great replacement/refund policy ;). Plenty of happy Ristretto users here at CS.... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 050F0217140B0A1706630 link=1235295565/4#4 date=1235369312
    Quote Originally Posted by 58535A59010E02360 link=1235295565/3#3 date=1235367206
    If its anything like their bicycles, then I would be giving it 3-4 weeks. My neighbour bought a bike at Aldi a month ago and it was on the hard rubbish collection pile on Tuesday! *
    Pardon me saying this, but your neighbour is a fool. Aldi has one of the best money-back guarantees on the market. If something doesnt work, take it back and get a replacement or your money back.
    Ive had at least a dozen things, from a laptop computer to coffee beans (yes, I know!) refunded when they didnt meet expectation.
    If there was somethig wrong with the bike, it should have gone back for a refund.
    The same probably goes for the current coffee machine offer.
    This is no slur on Aldi! I was merely making the point that some things have a minimum price point for entry.

It looked to me as though there was nothing wrong with the bike other than disappointing expectations. If you buy a folding bike, with crappy little wheels and poor quality components you are likely to give up disappointed at your attempts to get back on the road.

Same applies here for me. If you buy a machine that does not meet your expectations, there is a good chance you give up and head back to the cafe convinced you cant make a good coffee. I am not suggesting we all rush into a $3000 machine, but I would agree with Dennis and suggest a good plunger is a better option until you can afford something likely to match your expectations.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I bought the machine last week and am proud to say Ive had great results so far. Id say this is Aldis competitor to the Ristretto. Sure its not a high end machine, but if you know what youre doing then it seems a wide variety of good coffees can come from it.

I was originally trained to make machiatos for mafia back in the early-mid 90s. My training ground was Mick Gattos office/restaurant where Benji was killed. Looking back I dont know why I felt comfortable there but I guess it was interesting. I remember getting $50 tips for particularly good machiatos. Anyway, it seems it was a good training ground as years on I am able to make a good coffee from just about any machine. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 63444E4648414E4C432D0 link=1235295565/7#7 date=1235853504
    I remember getting $50 tips for particularly good machiatos.
    What would have happened if youd made a bad one?

A disturbingly large amount of violence launched at the face? :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 0F28222A242D22202F410 link=1235295565/7#7 date=1235853504
    I bought the machine last week and am proud to say Ive had great results so far
    Excellent to hear!
    It was great value if you are happy.

I would love to see some pictures of the sorts of coffees you are getting out of it too.