Thread: Best Consumer Machine?

Best Consumer Machine?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi I have a friend who wanted to purchase a fully auto machine, i have managed to talk them out of this option and convinced them that actually buying a fairly cheap consumer machine, changing to non-pressurised baskets, getting a good grinder and buying fresh beans from andy will produce the best bang for their bucks!

We live in a remote area where servicing is not really an option and i reckon they will be better with the above setup and throwing the machine away and replacing it every 3 years or so!

They are not interested in the Sylvia path so i am thinking a Gaggia, Ikon, Sunbeam or similar.

What is the preferred option in this type of machine?

What do CSs think of the Cunhill Tranquilo as a grinder for this setup?

Blog Entries

Re: Best Consumer Machine?

Wow, now we have got rid of those annoying @breville.com.au sales posts real CSrs can have a go at answering you!

Quote Originally Posted by 5E58554C545840390 link=1235428039/0#0 date=1235428039
    They are not interested in the Sylvia
    Can I ask why? Is it too expensive?

100s of CSrs have had and do have the Silvia and the thing is pretty bullet proof. It mostly only gets upgraded to something that does "more steam" and even then its on-sold for about the same money. (they keep their value pretty well).

The Sunbeam gets a pretty good run around here too, often great value for the price but the resale value is pretty low.

Im sure others will give better tips with the machine types.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E58554C545840390 link=1235428039/0#0 date=1235428039
    What do CSs think of the Cunhill Tranquilo as a grinder for this setup?
    Great value! I have owned one and its a little noisy (ok, a lot noisy) and the doserless that I had was a static monster but for $200 odd secondhand its pretty industrial and very good value.

Keep an eye on the for sale threads here, often CSrs that are upgrading pass on their secondhand gear at very fair prices to fellow members.

Huh? Missed all that @breville.com.au action..... :-?

As always, great advice from Andy. In terms of bang for buck, I reckon its very hard to go past the Ikon. Coupled with a decent grinder, freshly roasted, high quality beans and unpressurised baskets it can churn out some awesome brews. The BIG plus with the Ikon is its stainless steel Boiler with electronic temperature control; its also not too shabby in the Steam department either.

There are a couple of very informative threads about the Ikon with contributions from several member-owners and makes for a good read. All the best :)

Mal.

Mal & Andy, thanks for the advice - helpful as usual.

(and thanks for the thread clean up Andy (sorry you missed the fun Mal!) - i opened the thread to show my friend when he dropped in for the best coffee in town from my bezerra and i was a bit embarrassed by the spate of OT posts!)

I have had a Sunbeam Creama machine, Italian made thermoblock, for about 4 years and it is still going strong (fingers crossed). It gives a very good crema and as we only drink espresso I am very happy with it. With the best beans and right tamp in my opinion it does a decent job. We only have about 4 cups a day between us so depends on your needs. ;)