Thread: Can you fix this ??? Sunbeam EM5800

Can you fix this ??? Sunbeam EM5800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday everyone,

I think I might be turning into a Coffesnob - this is my first post and have a question I hope someone can help me with !

(I am using at home a $150 Breville Cafe machine and have learnt to make quite good lates, together with my bautiful little 1950s burr grind turkish hand grinder - stepless adjustment).

Anyway a mate of mine gave me his old Sunbeam EM5800 and its a bit dodgey.
    It pours an OK espresso and starts to steam OK but periodically all but the power lights on the machine go out and then nothing works - I cant pour a new short or get steam !
    I have cleaned and de-scaled the machine but its no better.
    Sometimes everthing works OK but mostly it dies partway though me texturing the milk and I have to turn off the power, let it cool down and bit then try again. Id like to fix it up and give it to my mum. If it cant be fixed Ill use it for beer making (extract hop oils !)

Im pretty good with my hands so could pull it apart to check things.

Any ideas or further tests I should do ?

Thanks
    Simon
    Breville Cafe espresso machine - fine
    EM5800 - dodgey
    1950s Turkish grinder - beautiful
    Small Vesuviana
    Large Vesuviana

A_M

Re: Can you fix this ??? Sunbeam EM5800

Quote Originally Posted by 342E2A28292A222B25470 link=1236318931/0#0 date=1236318931
    Gday everyone,

I think I might be turning into a Coffesnob - this is my first post and have a question I hope someone can help me with !

(I am using at home a $150 Breville Cafe machine and have learnt to make quite good lates, together with my bautiful little 1950s burr grind turkish hand grinder - stepless adjustment).

Anyway *a mate of mine gave me his old Sunbeam EM5800 and its a bit dodgey.
    It pours an OK espresso and starts to steam OK but periodically all but the power lights on the machine go out and then nothing works - I cant pour a new short or get steam !
    I have cleaned and de-scaled the machine but its no better.
    Sometimes everthing works OK but mostly it dies partway though me texturing the milk and I have to turn off the power, let it cool down and bit then try again. Id like to fix it up and give it to my mum. If it cant be fixed Ill use it for beer making (extract hop oils !)

Im pretty good with my hands so could pull it apart to check things.

Any ideas or further tests I should do ?

Thanks
    Simon
    Breville Cafe espresso machine - fine
    EM5800 - dodgey
    1950s Turkish grinder - beautiful
    Small Vesuviana
    Large Vesuviana
    Sounds like an Electrical Over Temp cutout safety switch.. There is a thermal fuse... But if that goes it would not reset...

Where R you located ?

The electrics in the 5800 is tight and I would not recommend a non qualified person to get inside and start playing.

Hi Anger

Im in Melbourne (just updated my profile)

My brother in law is a commercial electrican / fridgie so I could ask him to assist. I dont want to spend much money if anything on the machine - I would rather save up for a $1500 machine!

Cheers
    Simon

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D57535150535B525C3E0 link=1236318931/2#2 date=1236322845
    Hi Anger

Im in Melbourne (just updated my profile)

My brother in law is a commercial electrican / fridgie so I could ask him to assist. I dont want to spend much money if anything on the machine - I would rather save up for a $1500 machine!

Cheers
    Simon
    The 5800 is a pain to get apart... but like most appliances it can be FUN >:( and even more fund when getting every thing back :o with out left overs.

I got rid of my 5800 and 4800 some time ago... If he can get in side there are a couple of temp sensors / switches that manage the Steam Temp and the Hot Water temp as well as a fusable temp link... Usually on top of the thermo block ....

On my 4800 if I remember correctly the OT was not a fuse type...

Your mate should be fine to trace the cct as they are simple as to the heating etc etc...

Thanks - and for the warnings :o - is there a circuit diagram or manual pdf available anywhere?