Thread: Desparate for advice on sunbeam coffee machines and grinders!!!

Desparate for advice on sunbeam coffee machines and grinders!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Im new this website and basically to the whole make your own coffee theme.

Me and my wife love our cappuccinos on a daily basis so weve decided to invest in a coffee machine.
    According to research ive done so far, you need a good combo of coffee machine and a good grinder to go with.

Ive already decided to purchase the sunbeam em0480 grinder (which has large positive feedback base)

However, on the coffee machine, Im confused as to whether to purchase 1 of 3 of the following by sunbeam:
    -em3800
    -em4800
    -em5600

Can somebody please explain to me what the main differences are between the 3 and whats the best choice to go with.
    Like i said before its mainly for making cappucinnos.

Any additional advise would be great too in relation to whether im even on the right path on choosing these brands/models.

(remember im fresh to this, so go ezy on the jargon ;) )

Re: Desparate for advice on sunbeam coffee machines and grinders!!!

Hi and welcome

before considering that you should really consider this -

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1237273018

We have just upgraded from an EM4800 to the EM6910 and EM0480 combo.

The difference between the 4800 and 6910 is massive, both in the shot making and milk texturing, along with being able to do both simultaneously.

Most in here will tell you that this pairing is "minimum requirement" and having gone from the 4800 to 6910 I would have to agree.

Sorry I cant really help you with the differences between the lower end SB machines, but saw your post and figured that this one on offer could really suit you.

Chris

hey cksyd
    thanks for the advise....im giving it some thought but the price is wayyy past my budget..then again if im not going to get coffee that satisfies my taste buds, then wats the point of making this investment at all...
    I dont know....what worries me is if i end up spending up to $800 on this stuff then i dont end up using it after a while coz of the hassle of making my own coffee or i just dont like the quality of it.

Anyone else with suggestions.???
    should i just not bother with the em3800, 4800 or 5600???

Baz,

I thought the one for sale here was inside your budget....

an EM4800 goes for a round $189-$199 new and your EM0480 will cost you $175-$190 so your are pretty much on the 400 mark with a much lower standard of machine compared to the $400 asking price of the 6 month old pair..... :-?

As a yardstick, a month ago we paid $576 for the EM6910 and $176 for the EM0480.

It was outside the "Sunbeam bonus season".

So that other one looks good as 2mcm said.

Chris

yeh thats right it is inside my budget...but i got 2 concerns, 1 being that its second hand and 2 being that its in adelaide and im in sydney.
    i had chat 2 him and hes happy for me to organise its transport if we do settle on the deal.

as i said this is an option, but id rather wait at the moment 2 see what other suggestions i can get.
    cheers

Welcome Baz.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Although it may be slightly more than your budget, Id recommend considering this machine.... http://coffeemachine.com.au/nemox-fe...2981c0add14d14 from one of our sponsors. Its in a similar class to that of the Silvia but for significantly less money; it is however, built to a very high standard and capable of producing excellent espresso with all the usual provisos in place.

Mal.

Yep I like the Nemox as well

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 6B46424E432F0 link=1237337421/5#5 date=1237365088
    Welcome Baz.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Although it may be slightly more than your budget, Id recommend considering this machine.... http://coffeemachine.com.au/nemox-fe...2981c0add14d14 from one of our sponsors. Its in a similar class to that of the Silvia but for significantly less money; it is however, built to a very high standard and capable of producing excellent espresso with all the usual provisos in place.

Mal.
    thanx mal.
    im gona look into that too.
    when you say provisos, do mean the grinder and i guess fresh beans?? or is there more to add to the list?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2C2F34767A767B4E0 link=1237337421/7#7 date=1237377060
    thanx mal.
    im gona look into that too.
    when you say provisos, do mean the grinder and i guess fresh beans?? or is there more to add to the list?
    Yeppers- the other proviso is a correctly calibrated nut on the group handle- i.e you!

Assuming that you are new to the game, without investing in some good training resources the learning curve can, and most likely will be long and steep. Its not quite as simple as it looks- or the gazillion cafes serving garbage would all be producing god shots ::). The pros just make it look easy....

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6F74363A363B0E0 link=1237337421/7#7 date=1237377060
    Yes Baz,

Without high quality, freshly roasted beans coupled with a decent grinder and the basic skill set for the hand holding the PortaFilter, it really doesnt matter what quality of machine or other brewing equipment you have... The resulting brews will fall well short of the mark.

No good if you only pull an excellent shot once out of every five attempts, much better to push those odds up to 8-9 out of 10. Chris advice above, if followed, will save an awful lot of heartache and frustration down the track and arm you with the knowledge needed to allow you to extract the best quality coffee, on a consistent basis.... 8-)

Mal.

Welcome Baz,
    *Great to hear the coffeesnob bug has bit another victim :P *

Id like to suggest that whilst the exact machine may not matter, the category of machine does. *A cautious purchase on economic or dipping your toes in the water grounds will most likely end up in a combo that will get you, at most, $50 at a garage sale?

On the other hand, if you raise your budget a little to what the snobbery deems entry-level youll always have a market in which to sell should you decide to. *Rancillio Silvia, EM6980, Nemox etc are all in that category. *Check out the for sale section for more info on resale values if you need to justify an exit strategy to yourself.

Call me biased but Ive always been a believer in the "do it once, do it properly" theory as it avoids the false economy of buying a second machine/combo immediately thereafter.

Best wishes with your selection!

Epic76

P.S. Of course, its all a moot point cos youre going to wind up as addicted to the pursuit of DIY coffee heaven as the rest of us poor souls.

Resistance is futile ;D

If you absolutely cannot afford better, the EM2300 Ristretto has a small boiler rather than aluminum thermoblock - so Id pick that one as the best of a bad bunch. You will also need a decent grinder (Sunbeam EM4500 minimum) and non-pressurised coffee basket... plus a ready supply of freshly roasted beans. If you can splash a little extra cash, my advice would be to go for a better grinder (Mazzer or Macap), then upgrade to a good machine when you can afford it. Then youll be set for life... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6C41010 link=1237337421/11#11 date=1237436627
    If you can splash a little extra cash, my advice would be to go for a better grinder (Mazzer or Macap), then upgrade to a good machine when you can afford it. Then youll be set for life... ;)
    Or a Compak K3 perhaps...

Mal.

thanx for the warm welcome and great assistance guys.

im starting to look at the picture from a further distance,
    i just wana though...lets say i do purchase from the higher entry catagories such as em6910, with good grinder, and eventually i even develop the skill to produce great coffee at some point in the future...NOW my question is, exactly how much better will this taste as compared to your regular coffee shops??? or will i only reach their level of quality by that time. (by regular i mean your averange sandwich shops, uni coffee stands, or even gloria jeans)

also is it worth doing this if majority of the time i plan to make the coffee in the morning, pour it in those thermo mug things and have it during my uni lectures?....might sound like a dumb question, but honestly thats probably the main reason for this...and ofcourse the usual weekend morning (or night) treats.

Quote Originally Posted by 7073682A262A27120 link=1237337421/13#13 date=1237458637
    how much better will this taste as compared to your regular coffee shops???
    I made the occasional coffee at work (on a 6910) for my boss who was strictly an espresso drinker.
    He takes sugar when he buys a coffee and doesnt take sugar when I make him one, because mine are better.

So how much better is hard to say.
    Better is the answer.
    Isnt that good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by 64677C3E323E33060 link=1237337421/13#13 date=1237458637
    also is it worth doing this if majority of the time i plan to make the coffee in the morning, pour it in those thermo mug things and have it during my uni lectures?....might sound like a dumb question, but honestly thats probably the main reason for this...and ofcourse the usual weekend morning (or night) treats.

My wife dumps a freshly made latte from the machine into a travel mug most mornings - it improves the traffic a tad. Cant see any reason why putting it in a thermo jug will send it downhill. It may not be exactly the same as fresh from the pf but as you will find in here one of the critical things is the fresh roasted beans. In that way it will always beat your average sandwich shop brew.

On top of that your weekend morning and night treats will indeed be treats :D

...and there are no dumb questions Baz, I have found everyone on this forum to be as considerate and helpful as they could possibly be 8-)

Chris

The only real issue may be that the milk collapses. all that aeration dissipates, to leave you with a really "flat" white. Tastewise, weve had some good coffee from the Thermos - certainly bette than the muck churned out by the coffee van at sports events!

Ive got a mate who drops a double espresso from his Silvia into a Thermos cup of hot water (ala Americano) before work. He then spends 12 hours keeping his colleagues away from his coffee on the flight to London.

Give it a crack Baz :)

Ok...the em6910 and em0480 are now on order got the machine for 596 and grinder for 179. best i could find brand new.
    It was unfortunate i missed out on the one here couple of days ago (had trouble organising the shipment)

thanx everyone for steering me in the right direction...glad i didnt make the mistake most make when investing in a coffee machine.

Now all i gota do is figure out what beans go best with this combo.
    Also do i just store the roasted beans in air pressured baskets, my wifes got tupperware lunch boxes, will this do?

thanks again guys

When you buy the beans they should come in bags with one way valves, store them in the cupboard in the bag they came in and they should be fine. Oh and only buy what you will use in a few weeks otherwise they will go stale, and make sure they are freshly roasted (ie in the past week or so). There is a wealth of info on this forum, take you time and get to know the snob within!!!

Dont buy beans from a supermarket or deli.

This site sells quality roasted beans Baz, roasted in the Snobbery by the big fella himself. Click Buy Brown in the top left corner and have a look around.

Your profile doesnt state your locations but all cities and the larger towns of Australia will have boutique roasters that you can try.

Perhaps a good starting point would be your favourite cafe. *For example, Campos (SYD & BNE), St Ali & Maling Room (MEL), Epic (PER) all sell their beans whole and it gives a good starting point to work from (you can follow your progress as your coffees get closer and closer to theirs).

Quote Originally Posted by 656B66697E6869070 link=1237337421/19#19 date=1237714864
    When you buy the beans they should come in bags with one way valves, store them in the cupboard in the bag they came in and they should be fine. Oh and only buy what you will use in a few weeks otherwise they will go stale, and make sure they are freshly roasted (ie in the past week or so). There is a wealth of info on this forum, take you time and get to know the snob within!!!
    i didnt know i could do that...thanx

Quote Originally Posted by 42776E643031070 link=1237337421/21#21 date=1237769799
    This site sells quality roasted beans Baz, roasted in the Snobbery by the big fella himself. *Click Buy Brown in the top left corner and have a look around.

Your profile doesnt state your locations but all cities and the larger towns of Australia will have boutique roasters that you can try.

Perhaps a good starting point would be your favourite cafe. *For example, Campos (SYD & BNE), St Ali & Maling Room (MEL), Epic (PER) all sell their beans whole and it gives a good starting point to work from (you can follow your progress as your coffees get closer and closer to theirs).
    Yeh i just ordered the expresso wow... only 0.5kg...its description got me and i got advised from another member here that thats very popular.

I initially thought of going to my regular cafes ie jamiaca blue. but i figured the beans sold here were even better in quality as andy stated he roasts them just before shipping them out. I didnt think other cafes could get you beans of that quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F7C67252925281D0 link=1237337421/22#22 date=1237775916
    Yeh i just ordered the expresso wow
    Wise choice!

Quote Originally Posted by 7F7C67252925281D0 link=1237337421/22#22 date=1237775916
    I initially thought of going to my regular cafes ie jamiaca blue.
    I had considered putting a "non coffee chain" caveat in my previous post but thought better of it. *Likes (and loves?) are very subjective *and if you like Jamaica Blues product, then thats great. *However, Coffeesnobs (the site, not the people) and boutique roasters and cafes will offer a fresher, higher quality product. *They aint going anywhere so as your experience and standards grow, theyre waiting for you. *

Even Leonardo DaVinci started with a set of crayons, right? * ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 083D242E7A7B4D0 link=1237337421/23#23 date=1237780038
    I had considered putting a "non coffee chain" caveat in my previous post but thought better of it.Likes (and loves?) are very subjectiveand if you like Jamaica Blues product, then thats great.However, Coffeesnobs (the site, not the people) and boutique roasters and cafes will offer a fresher, higher quality product.They aint going anywhere so as your experience and standards grow, theyre waiting for you.

Even Leonardo DaVinci started with a set of crayons, right?
    very nicely put ;D