Thread: I did my first good non-pressurised shot today!!!! :)

I did my first good non-pressurised shot today!!!! :)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All!!

Just wanting to say thanks to all you people that gave advice on how to make good coffee.

Tonight, with my new tamper I bought from coffee barun and after ripping all the nonsense out of my Saeco VV portafilter, I did a nice slow shot that tasted great!!!

Here is the kicker: I did it with lavazza Il Perfeto Espresso!! (*ducks)
    I know, I didnt have time to get down to coffee barun for more coffee (which was great btw, thanks mark and brad).

This is a milestone!!! :)

Re: I did my first good non-pressurised shot today!!!! :)

congrats!

i am eagerly awaiting my first non-pressurised shot... i have a feeling it will be just the first step on a very long (and rewarding) journey!

Well done fellas, of course now that youve dipped your toes in the water the bug will get you, be warnedddddddddddddddddd........................... .!!!
    enjoy you caffeine journey
    cheers gm
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes, tonights plunge happened because I went out to buy a sunbeam EM0450 on an impulse. I rang my wife and she said I should wait and get the nice one (she means like a challenge or a rocky). I love my wife! :)

But it meant coming home without a grinder! :( I was so despondent, with my brick of lavazza, that I ripped out the portafilter and had a shot at tamping. To my surprise, viola! My first successful non-pressurised shot!

I am also enjoying the non-pressurized experience at the moment from my Breville. For me, the hardest part is consistency. I get some shots using the Sunbeam 4080 grinder that are perfect. Nice crema, great taste and dry whole coffee puck. Other shots are O.K., but with the same setting and the same tamp I get a slightly damp puck. Not sure if this is me, the temp variation in the machine, or just the miserable quality of a thermobloc design.

Anyway, I am certainly enjoying the improvement in quality and thinking of what a Silvia might hold!!

The pressurised PF makes the performance of the machine very consistent(ly mediocre) so it is no surprise that you find it a fair bit harder to get a consistently good result from the non-pressurised PF. This applies to dose, tamp and temp management plus beans freshness and grind setting - everything becomes more critical but the results are worth it.

Cheap machines actually force you to be more precise than almost all expensive HX or double boiler and/or E-61 type machines so I reckon they are a good training ground.

Couldnt agree more.

We had to work real hard on the old 4800, which was a very good grounding and makes the 6910 nearly seem like a doddle.

Even so,freshness, grind, fill and tamp are the key factors regardless of what machine you use.

Thermoblock design is not miserable quality and not totally relevant to shot quality as some think.

Chris

...ducking for cover.... ;D

Ive been using my Via Venezia with a depressurised (took apart the original pressurised one) for about a month now. The coffees are tasting much better but im left with water ontop of the puck after I take out the handle.

Is this meant to happen or should I be left with a dry puck as mentioned earlier in this thread ? When I take out the puck it stays in one piece and is farely compact just a bit of water on top.

Quote Originally Posted by 183E2727324B0 link=1237886600/7#7 date=1238726362
    Ive been using my Via Venezia with a depressurised (took apart the original pressurised one) for about a month now. *The coffees are tasting much better but im left with water ontop of the puck after I take out the handle. *

Is this meant to happen or should I be left with a dry puck as mentioned earlier in this thread ? *When I take out the puck it stays in one piece and is farely compact just a bit of water on top.
    My understanding is that the puck should be dry. If my grind is slightly out I also get a wet slick on top. If it is on the mark, then the puck is dry, holds together and breaks nicely in two.

There is a slightly better taste in the dry puck coffee. I guess this is the water filtering through at the right speed. Time your extraction. If you are at the 25-30 second mark, then you are getting close from my experience.

Good luck. My consistency is improving. Just takes practice!

Whether or not there is water on top of your puck or not is irrelevant. How does the coffee taste?

Some machines that lack a 3 way solenoid will leave water on top of the puck although the rest of the puck is solid.

excuse the bad typing, Im doing this on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E7C7A61666C7A090 link=1237886600/9#9 date=1238770574
    Whether or not there is water on top of your puck or not is irrelevant. How does the coffee taste?

Some machines that lack a 3 way solenoid will leave water on top of the puck although the rest of the puck is solid.

excuse the bad typing, Im doing this on my phone.
    Appreciate your view David, but for ME the water on top definitely indicates an inferior extraction from my machine. The taste is better from a nice dry puck with precise timing. May be different from other machines, but after numerous loads of coffee through my less than ideal Breville Roma, I can happily say that the best coffee comes when there is no slick on top of the puck!

I am getting consistent quality now and timing is almost spot on. The inconsistency inevitably comes when I change beans, but some adjustment with the grind and I am back in business. Probably not the standard of many experts here, but pretty reasonable from a $100 machine.

Cheers.

When you say dry puck, do you mean if you look at it immediately after the shot? Mine is only dry a minute or two later. If I have a coarser grind the pour is way too fast....