Thread: Krups basket in EM4800... and tamper Q

Krups basket in EM4800... and tamper Q

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

I have ordered the Krups basket & seal from Melbourne and thanks to Australia Post it is taking a couple of days to get from Victoria to NSW. Cant wait to try it out. But before I get it, I want to make sure of something... do I need to remove the black plastic bit in the group head before using the Krups or do I just insert as normal and go for it?

Also, we are still using the crappy plastic tamper that came with the machine as I have no idea which one to buy for the 4800. All the ones I have found are for the 58mm basket and our Sunbeam basket is (measuring with a digital vernier) 51.56mm.

Cheers
    Bruce

Re: Krups basket in EM4800... and tamper Q

Hi,

You might read the thread further down for some extra info:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234064740

Anyway, I didnt change the seal at all when going to the Krups basket, but I did notice I seemed to have to push the PF to the right more (ie. tighten it more than before).

Not sure what happens when you change the seal, nor whether there is a "black plastic bit" that needs to come out...

Thank you sir, Ill go have a read

Cheers
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 675F5E5B687D58595244370 link=1237975053/1#1 date=1237991385
    .... nor whether there is a "black plastic bit" that needs to come out...
    Just with this. I am probably not up on the lingo for the various parts of a machine but I mean the black plastic insert that is screwed into the handle where the Krups basket goes. To me it looks like it is designed to work with the single hole in the bottom of the Sunbeam basket. This is the part I am asking about...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 6451785B4E4E4F5C4A522B0 link=1237975053/3#3 date=1238039572
    Just with this. I am probably not up on the lingo for the various parts of a machine but I mean the black plastic insert that is screwed into the handle where the Krups basket goes. To me it looks like it is designed to work with the single hole in the bottom of the Sunbeam basket. This is the part I am asking about...

Cheers
    All Sunbeam portafilters have the black plastic insert - it is only as it is easier to clean and to stop coffee oils staining the metal.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Problem solved :) Only need to sort out a decent tamper now.

Cheers

Many people (me included) take out the plastic piece - just undo the screw at the bottom. You can put it back anytime you like.

The fear is that it traps muck underneath. I also find that water gets trapped under there and falls out at inopportune times. I also filled the middle hole (where the screw went) with a brass machine screw and nut. However, no need to fill in the middle screw if you wont be using the pressurised baskets. I occasionally use them if Ive been given coarsely ground supermarket coffee.

Thank you sir. I will try it both ways once I get the basket but I would think the same as you that leaving it there could cause issues. If we do keep it out I doubt we would go back to pressurised as we havent bought supermarket coffee for a while except for the occasional bag for the drip filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 0C34353003163332392F5C0 link=1237975053/6#6 date=1238063193
    Many people (me included) take out the plastic piece - just undo the screw at the bottom. You can put it back anytime you like.

The fear is that it traps muck underneath. I also find that water gets trapped under there and falls out at inopportune times. I also filled the middle hole (where the screw went) with a brass machine screw and nut. However, no need to fill in the middle screw if you wont be using the pressurised baskets. I occasionally use them if Ive been given coarsely ground supermarket coffee.
    Since youve got an accurate measurement of your baskets youre a long way ahead of most. If you can find a 51mm tamper that will be the best fit youll get off the shelf, short of having one custom-made to fit your baskets. We can certainly help if you decide to go down that path but youd have to decide whether or not its worth investing in a fitted tamper for a machine you may upgrade from at some point, when its unlikely a new machine will have the same size baskets. I made a tamper for a friend with a 4800 or a 5600 several years ago (same basket as yours) and his is still going strong, but the same may not be true for those with a tendency to upgraditis! ;D

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 675F5E5B687D58595244370 link=1237975053/6#6 date=1238063193
    I also find that water gets trapped under there and falls out at inopportune times.

Agreed Tasbean. Had the same problem with our 4800. The 6910 has it constructed differently and it doesnt trap water so I have left it in.

...In both pfs, but thats another (freebie) story... ;D

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 4154434156534A4A4B4748260 link=1237975053/8#8 date=1238104380
    Since youve got an accurate measurement of your baskets youre a long way ahead of most. If you can find a 51mm tamper that will be the best fit youll get off the shelf, short of having one custom-made to fit your baskets. We can certainly help if you decide to go down that path but youd have to decide whether or not its worth investing in a fitted tamper for a machine you may upgrade from at some point, when its unlikely a new machine will have the same size baskets. I made a tamper for a friend with a 4800 or a 5600 several years ago (same basket as yours) and his is still going strong, but the same may not be true for those with a tendency to upgraditis! ;D

Greg
    Thanks Greg for the offer but as the machine only cost 172.00 my wife has decreed I am not allowed to spend alot on a tamper.

I managed to locate a 51mm tamper today and will order tomorrow. Hopefully the .22mm difference wont have that much effect on the tamping process. The .22 comes from the Krups basket which I received today, again measured with my digital vernier.

Cheers
    Bruce