Thread: PLS help me fix my EM4800 or suggest a budget machine

notasnob

PLS help me fix my EM4800 or suggest a budget machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Sunbeam EM4800 has developed a problem after daily use for nearly 2.5 years. Normally the pump noise / action is different depending on whether you are frothing milk or making the coffee. However, it now does the "coffee making" noise and action when frothing. The result is a stream of water out the frothing wand and no steam at all.

I reckon the control knob switch is the problem, but I havent taken it apart yet to see if I can do anything to fix it.

If I cant, what is the current wisdom on what machines are OK at the budget end? I think I have got my $168 worth out of my Sumbeam, but I hesitate to buy the same machine again, due to its foibles. I dont mind spending a bit more, maybe push to $300, if worthwhile.

(Besides, I have been really bugged by what seems to be a recurring manufacturing defect. The sheet metal behind the drip tray is not curved enough, preventing the tray being pushed in far enough, and it causes a leak. Every 4800 I saw in the shops a couple years ago looked like it had the same issue, though I have seen earlier ones that didnt. Not sure if thats been addressed).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Re: PLS help me fix my EM4800 or suggest a budget machine

Hey notasnob (yeah, right ;D)

I think you may be right re the control knob as while ours never played up completely it did seem to go a bit haywire once in the same way then corrected itself. Worth having a lash at anyway - cant sell it like it is huh?

With the drip tray leaking, had exactly the same issue with ours. Stuff just doesnt collect properly. Most annoying and doubt you will get around that one.

Chris

notasnob

The Sunbeam has miraculously fixed itself. This morning I was going to do a brew and just use non-frothed milk, but the steam worked as normal.

Thanks cksyd. Is yours around the same era, about 2yo? I did think about trying to modify the tray to collect better, but it may not have worked and I never bothered. I wonder if thats been fixed in newer machines.

Obviously my confidence in this machine has suffered, so any recommendations on other worthwhile budget machines would be welcome - just in case it unfixes itself again! Thanks.

(Are there reviews / ratings on this site? I couldnt see any)

Good news notasnob.... ;D

Ours was around 1 1/2 - 2 years old yeah. Offloaded it to a friend who had just moved out of home but assume it is still going.

No idea of the tray thing, but my suggestion would be to stretch yourself if you can and go for a 6910. I think you can still get them for around high fives but that wont last forever.

The drip tray works, twin pump and thermoblock etc etc etc.

They are okay as they mimick an HX machine in being able to do both things while also being on a budget.

I write a few things in here saying they are good as we have had no problems with ours and it is a major step up from the 4800. Obviously we would love an HX machine but....

We (well, the missus) has about the worth of 20 HXs tied up in musical instruments, but they provide income...

My/our coffee snobbery doesnt so Im stuck at the lower end of the market, but still happy... ;D

and caffeined... :D

Chris