Thread: How can I kill my Krups?

How can I kill my Krups?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, first post here.
    Upgraditis has recently struck and after doing some research on a Rancilio Silvia, my surfing inexorably lead me here.
    Ill just add a little background first...after years of enjoying coffee from a stovetop (well a whole selection of them) a few years back I was bought a Krups as a wedding present. I think its a XP4050 machine and I have a DeLonghi KG100 grinder...anyway, after a stovetop it was coffee nirvana, I was amazed at the difference.

I love my coffee...and I also love my car...and I was given my upgraditis by a car detailing site Im a regular on..theres a specific section on there for coffee and thats what piqued my interest.

So with my interest piqued and my mind made up on the Silvia/Rocky combo I now need an excuse to upgrade. She who must be obeyed has vetoed the upgrade as the Krups makes good enough coffee...and I agree, I still like the coffee it produces especially as I use fresh beans, not the supermarket stuff. But I need it to stop working, so that I have an excuse to buy the Silvia. How best can I kill it...preferably temporarily so that my wife thinks its a goner and Im better off spending money on a machine built to last. ;D

Re: How can I kill my Krups?

Hi Steve, you could drain the boiler, leave it on and fry it, but it would be a "goner". You would definitely have to get a new set-up then.
    Do you know someone with a Silvia or HX who could make your wife some god-shot coffee and convince her of the benefits of getting a decent machine and grinder?
    Where there is a will, there is a way, Im sure you will break her down eventually, good luck!!!
    gm ;) ;)

take off the back and remove a wire when shes not watching

once new machine is on the bench replace wire and sell it on ebay etc to make a few bucks........

No offense... Is she blonde and can u just unplug it and say it totally dead looks wont even start worki and light up!!
    I like the idea of showing her what better coffee tastes like from a better machine.

Good luck!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 5C1B185B5040280 link=1240378380/0#0 date=1240378380
    How best can I kill it...preferably temporarily so that my wife thinks its a goner and Im better off spending money on *a machine built to last. *
    I had a laugh SteveH

Puts me in the mind to murder my Moka Pot but I doubt the wife will let me replace that with a Silvia...

Squirrel

You need a blank filter or block it somehow. Put that in the portafilter and then prepare your coffee as you normally do and show the wife that no water is coming out!!!

The easiest one would be to pull the wire out as mentioned above. Another option would be to pull the group seal out and it will leak water everywhere and you can show her that it is broken. Put the seal back in when she isnt watching and flog the thing off.

Justin

vinegar in her coffee?

Buy some pre-ground coffee from Starbucks and let nature take its course?

Wow, the question was just so good I had to reply.

Am with Justin - blank filter! You only want to do it temporarily so you can sell it and make *some money*

Some other thoughts:
    1. "Darlin, look what my colleages bought me for my birthday!"
    2. "Its my DUTY to stimulate the economy..."
    3. Dont tell her how much the Silvia/Rocky *really* is

Make sure that after the group seal is removed, the hot water sprays VERY NEAR TO, and puts in danger SOMETHING SHE LOVES.

Of course if you misjudge and actually ruin something she loves, you wont need just a new machine. ;D

Greg

If your partners name is silvia then you will have no problems. Look honey I had them name the machine after you. rancilio also do a lucy. So if you her name is lucy then your in luck.

In the end I just said to my wife "Im popping out to get some coffee" - I came back with a Silvia and Rocky + 1kg of coffee. The wife was not happy. I got nagged for about 2 weeks, she wanted a new fridge/dishwasher/curtains and wasnt happy I didnt consult her about the purchase...she was going about about mutual consent or something, I dunno I couldnt really hear as I was grinding beans in the rocky and playing with the Silvia. ;D
    The Krups, which was a wedding present was given back to the friends who bought it for us, as their little Breville had just died.

And those nads werent any good to you anyhow * ;D

I have been laughing that hard at this thread it brought on an asthma attack. *;D

Showed my wife....hmmm, that kills any chance of getting away with similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 581F1C5F54442C0 link=1240378380/11#11 date=1243552468
    The Krups, which was a wedding present was given back to the friends who bought it for us, as their little Breville had just died.

Thats what it was all about. The silvia/rocky wasnt a selfish decision you were just helping out a friend!!!

Make sure to let us all know how you go(with the coffee that is not about you sleeping on the couch ;D)

Quote Originally Posted by 246360232838500 link=1240378380/11#11 date=1243552468
    I got nagged for about 2 weeks,
    I bought an investment property once (still have it) and got nagged for about 5 years.
    Consider 2 weeks getting off lightly.

i know it not really temporary but a blind filter instantly springs to mind....
    if its an uprade you want tatll knock the old one out