Thread: smoke from new Sunbeam em3600

smoke from new Sunbeam em3600

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys! I just bought a sunbeam em3600 today, but have discovered that every time after I finish using the steam wand and turn off the steam, a large cloud of smoke/steam rises out of the drip tray. and it smells like burnt plastic!
    has anyone else had this problem?
    and do you guys think the Sunbeam ristretto (em2300) is better than the em3600??? I couldnt make up my mind this morning when buying it, but decided on the 3600, but am beginning to regret my decision!

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Re: smoke from new Sunbeam em3600

and is the ristretto bad for steaming milk? Some say the steaming is atrocious, others say its pretty good :-/

and is the machine meant to make a ticking noise (like a clock or time bomb or something!) when I first turn the steam on and the heating light is on?!

last quuestion I swear ;)

Hey coffeeee.

Ive got a 3600 as well, and after a few months learning curve, Im getting decent coffees (by the "better than many cafés" standard, nothing like God shots). Looking forward to moving up, though!

To answer your questions backwards, my 3600 doesnt make anything so demure as a ticking sound while steaming; its more like a chunk-chunk-chunk, and I think its the pump pulling new water through the valve from the tank at the back.

I dont know about the Ristretto, sorry, but it does have a rep here as the best (and cheapest!) of the cheap sunbeams. Some people really dont like thermoblocks, though, so take that into account. And I believe the boiler is aluminium, which many people also dont like.

Finally and firstly, burning plastic is bad.

I know you know that. My 3600 does not smell of burning plastic at any point. Even if you dont change it for the 2300, you should exchange it.

Preferably before it destroys your kitchen.

Good luck,

Egalité

Any chance the burnt plastic smell relates to a protective film that may have needed removing?

Chris

...when all else fails, read the instructions... ;)

Might be a circuit board burning.
    Same smell happened on the Sunbeam 6910 at work a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 4C6E6865607D6C090 link=1240398081/3#3 date=1240533132
    Hey coffeeee.

Ive got a 3600 as well, and after a few months learning curve, Im getting decent coffees (by the "better than many cafés" standard, nothing like God shots). Looking forward to moving up, though!

To answer your questions backwards, my 3600 doesnt make anything so demure as a ticking sound while steaming; its more like a chunk-chunk-chunk, and I think its the pump pulling new water through the valve from the tank at the back.

I dont know about the Ristretto, sorry, but it does have a rep here as the best (and cheapest!) of the cheap sunbeams. Some people really dont like thermoblocks, though, so take that into account. And I believe the boiler is aluminium, which many people also dont like.

Finally and firstly, burning plastic is bad.

I know you know that. My 3600 does not smell of burning plastic at any point. Even if you dont change it for the 2300, you should exchange it.

Preferably before it destroys your kitchen.

Good luck,

Egalité
    haha yeah I think chunk chunk chunk is a more accurate description ;D

do you get a cloud of steam/smoke that seems to come from inside the drip tray straight after you turn off the steam? i cant tell if its steam or smoke.. hopefully steam.. because it sounds like boiling water or something when I turn the steam off

thanks heaps for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by 585048425F3B0 link=1240398081/4#4 date=1240537257
    Any chance the burnt plastic smell relates to a protective film that may have needed removing?

Chris

...when all else fails, read the instructions... ;)
    yep already tried the instructions. told me nothting >:(
    i dont think theres any protective film. unless im going blind :-?

thanks for the help though! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4874697278796E7B73781C0 link=1240398081/5#5 date=1240539916
    Might be a circuit board burning.
    Same smell happened on the Sunbeam 6910 at work a few months ago.
    pretty sure its not that... thanks anyways :)

Chris--its possible.

I dont remember any plastic that needed to come off, but that doesnt mean it wasnt there. Sealing up the metal top of the drip tray?

Oop, answered while I was previewing this post. So not that.

cofeeee, make sure the drip tray is pushed all the way back. I find when I turn the 3600 on in the morning, it vibrates noisily for a couple of seconds and the drip tray edges forward. If you dont push it back flush with the rear metal wall, it can lead to water leaking under the tray instead of into it.

The fact that steam (hopefully not smoke!) rises when you shut off the steam wand suggests somethings going wrong somewhere inside. as far as I know the water is pumped through the thermoblock in quite small bursts while steaming, so there shouldnt be much excess to boil up out of the tray.

Oop again--see next post.

And it does seem unlikely to me that even steaming water would be hot enough to burn plastic.

Others know more, and perhaps theyll chip in.

Just to recap though, my 3600 doesnt smell like burning anything. Somethings wrong, and its Sunbeams job to take care of it.

Cheers,

Egalité

Well thats embarrassing.

Just made an afternoon latte and when I shut off the steam, there was some excess wafting from the drip tray.

More surface-of-the-bath than burning building though, and I didnt notice it until I was looking for it. (Must have been too focussed on the milk. *::) )

Live and learn.

Still think the burning smell is a bad sign, and if you are getting "clouds" of steam thats probably bad too.

For what its worth.

Cheers,

Egalité

Quote Originally Posted by 7B595F52574A5B3E0 link=1240398081/3#3 date=1240533132
    I dont know about the Ristretto, sorry, but it does have a rep here as the best (and cheapest!) of the cheap sunbeams. Some people really dont like thermoblocks, though, so take that into account.
    Im one of these people. Having played with a few of the Breville/Sunbeam (same inside) single thermoblock machines and a couple of Ristrettos, the Ristretto wins hands down in terms of espresso quality if temp surfing is done correctly (you cant really temp surf a thermoblock since its heat capacity is so low). Without temp surfing a Ristretto (pulling walkup shots), the thermoblocks will produce a far more consistent espresso. Steam power is comparable except that the Ristretto will produce a steady, albeit weakish, steam flow while the thermoblocs will do their chuffing heating which pulses the steam output a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B595F52574A5B3E0 link=1240398081/3#3 date=1240533132
    And I believe the boiler is aluminium, which many people also dont like.
    As opposed to the aluminium thermblock that these cheap thermblock machine have? :P

The double thermobloc Sumbeam EM6910 is in a whole other league to the single thermobloc machines in terms of temp stability and build qualit, especially with the stainless steel thermoblock liners (and price).

ok I have no idea how to temp surf :-[ so i think ill stick to the em3600...

thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by 183A3C313429385D0 link=1240398081/10#10 date=1240549807
    Well thats embarrassing.

Just made an afternoon latte and when I shut off the steam, there was some excess wafting from the drip tray.

More surface-of-the-bath than burning building though, and I didnt notice it until I was looking for it. (Must have been too focussed on the milk. *::) )

Live and learn.

Still think the burning smell is a bad sign, and if you are getting "clouds" of steam thats probably bad too.

For what its worth.

Cheers,

Egalité
    did you smell closely? haha because I think I can only smell something weird when my nose is pretty close to the machine..

well at least now Im more sure its not smoke ::)
    thanks HEAPS for all your help!!

I have had a similar sunbeam machine for the past 6 years before upgrading. The chug-chug is normal- its the pump pumping water.

The smoke/steam is also normal, it is the machine exiting any extra steam built up as you switch off the steam wand. its steam not smoke- or at least should be- you can tell, steam will disperse/disappear quicker than smoke.

As for burning plastic, that can never be good! I had a laugh. my advice try it for a week or so and if it continues take it back for another one... or if upgraditis hits use the money to upgrade ;) ;)

let us know how you go

Quote Originally Posted by 5050505E525B5B58583D0 link=1240398081/14#14 date=1240836244
    I have had a similar sunbeam machine for the past 6 years before upgrading. The chug-chug is normal- its the pump pumping water.

The smoke/steam is also normal, it is the machine exiting any extra steam built up as you switch off the steam wand. its steam not smoke- or at least should be- you can tell, steam will disperse/disappear quicker than smoke.

As for burning plastic, that can never be good! I had a laugh. my advice try it for a week or so and if it continues take it back for another one... or if upgraditis hits use the money to upgrade ;) ;)

let us know how you go
    sweeeeeeet thanks! yeah is disappears pretty quickly, so Im thinking its steam :)

wow six years :o?! howd you make it last so long?

now that i know my machine isnt going to explode and burn down the whole house i can make my coffee without worrying

I used to find the more milk I had to froth the more steam, when I switched the steam off the more steam came out the drip tray. Its normal for these I found. The steam disappears quickly and has no smell.

As for how I made it last so long... good luck.
    - But probably more so I looked after it, regular backwashing (I didnt have a blind pf so I just used to fold up a piece of aluminum foil and push it down in the pf and only backwash for 5-6 seconds- short pulses).
    - Chemically cleaned it every month or so keeps shots nice.
    - filtered water
    - brushed around the group head etc.
    - and just kept the machine in very clean condition.

I have only just a couple weeks ago replaced the oring around the group head (after 6 years not bad) before taking it to work to use.

I pull about 4 shots a day at home and often more, so its did me pretty well. then upgradtitis hit and I got some new toys with Rudy coffee supless $$.

if you want your coffees to greatly increase in quality can I suggest purchasing a good grinder (not one of those cheep blade ones) but say a Sunbeam EM0480 (<<<<<<talk with our sponsors :)).

it will be the best money you spend and hugely increase quality of your coffee. then practice practice practice and get more snoby :) ;)

haha thanks for ALL the advice!

yes i plan to buy a grinder very soon!
    as for the getting snobby part, thats still a long way off :P

surprising though how quickly it comes!! ;) :o

haha ill get back to you on that one! ;)

the part that will frustrate you is attempting to pull multiple coffees, you will find that before the second one is made the first one has been finished and therefore killing the whole social aspect of having coffee with your friends etc... so upgradeitis is inevitable my friend. Ray. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 5360785E42010 link=1240398081/21#21 date=1241084103
    the part that will frustrate you is attempting to pull multiple coffees, you will find that before the second one is made the first one has been finished and therefore killing the whole social aspect of having coffee with your friends etc... * so upgradeitis is inevitable my friend. * Ray. 8-)
    what do you reckon id have to upgrade to to be able to make them faster than theyre being drunk? :-?

that grasshopper is to be discovered on your quest for espresso nirvana, only you can answer that question... Ray. 8-)