Thread: non-pressurised basket search - Krups, Saeco, others, ...?

non-pressurised basket search - Krups, Saeco, others, ...?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

like so many here Im trying to upgrade to non-pressurised filter baskets. Following some hints on this forum, I went to the local Krups dealer to get a #0907163 basket. Bad news: that basket is "permanently out of stock." Can anyone confirm of refute this? Do any dealers out there still have them in stock?

I did find another Krups double basket (#0926867) that came tantalizingly close - it cant have been more than 53.5mm outside diameter, and by removing the portafilter spring I could accommodate a basket of up to 53.2mm. Am seriously considering shaving my portafilter, but at $25 :o for that Krups basket Ill leave that as a last resort.

Looking further, the Saeco baskets are quoted as "53mm diameter" - but is that inside or outside? And is that accurate? A call to the local Saeco dealer proved singularly useless: yes, they have the baskets. No, they dont know their diameter. No, they cant look it up. No, they cant measure them. No, even if I come out with my digital calipers I cant measure them - they come in boxes, and if you open a box without buying whats inside they apparently have to kill you. *::)

So, if anybody out there has a Saeco non-pressurised double basket (apparently theres just one kind across their range) and calipers, could you be so kind as to post an accurate measurement of its outside diameter and depth?

In fact, if you have calipers and *any* kind of non-pressurised sub-58mm basket, it would be great if you could post brand, part number, inside and outside diameter (accurate to 0.1mm), and outside depth here. A list of this information would be far more useful to future upgraders than anecdotal "part x worked for machine y" stories... and with the proliferation of pressurised baskets this issue will come up more and more often. Cheers!

And so my search continues... in the meantime Im dialing my EM0480 up to 18 :o, restrain myself from tamping properly, and still get soggy pucks. *:-[

Re: non-pressurised basket search - Krups, Saeco, others, ...?

Lino,

Take a look at Site sponsor http://www.coffeetamper.com.au. They list an unpressurised Krups basket. Not sure if its the goods for you, but check it out.

-ACog

Completely agree with ACoq!

Go to the CoffeeTamper website, click on Shop and then on the left click on Filter Baskets.

They have that exact krups basket you were looking for, and awesome service.

Good luck!

Lino,

If you dont have any luck getting a krups basket, you can use the Breville ESP4/51 basket (1-2 cup) with the EM2300. *I ordered mine from Breville Customer Care, I think it was about $20.00 delivered, but you can get them for around $13 from a local Breville dealer.

- Scott

If you contact Groupe SEB in Homebush Sydney they have the Krups basket, I got one last week. They are the national agent for Krups. Cost me $23 inc postage. Good luck
    Robert

Guys,

Remember to support the sponsors! http://www.coffeetamper.com.au have them in stock with awesome customer service to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 29212E28207A7F4B0 link=1240888429/5#5 date=1240955175
    Remember to support the sponsors! http://www.coffeetamper.com.au have them in stock with awesome customer service to boot! *
    yeah, what he said.

Hi guys,

thanks for the awesome response. Coffeetamper.com are out of stock on the Krups baskets (like everybody else it seems), but I did manage to get a Breville ESP4/51 from the local dealer, for $12.50. Who happens to be the same as the local Sunbeam & Krups dealer - so why didnt they give me that basket when I asked last week if they had anything that might fit? Never mind *::)

The ESP4/51 is indeed tapered, with the outside diameter reaching 53.8mm at the top, making it a very snug fit in my portafilter. (The Krups #0926867 that didnt fit must be 54mm.) The inside diameter is 50.3mm near the bottom of the "vertical" wall but opens up to 52.6mm where it matters; I would consider a 52mm tamper sloppy in there. Probably impossible to get a good tamp with that basket without a custom-made tapered tamper. As will become clear below though, a good tamp would be counterproductive here.

The holes are tiny, reminiscent of the pinhole of a pressurised basket, which has me worried. Nonetheless I optimistically dial my EM0480 down to 8, give it a moderate tamp and try the first shot. Nothing - basket clogged. Up to 12, back off on the tamping, try again - nothing. 15 - nothing. Finally, back at the 18 setting and the light tamp I used with the pressurised basket, I get a trickle; after 40 seconds I generously call it a shot. Tastes undoubtedly better than from the pressurised basket, but a far cry from perfect. (This is with Ministry Grounds house blend home-roasted just into second crack 2 days earlier.)

So whats the problem - is it the basket, or have I reached the limits of my poor little EM2300? My impression is that the ESP4/51 still creates a fair bit of backpressure - I am tempted to call it a semi-pressurised basket. Can others confirm this, or is the problem likely elsewhere?

Some have said that the EM2300 can be a bit low on the temperature side - could that cause excessive clogging? I havent gotten around to trying to surf the steam setting yet - if I have any more trial shots today Ill bounce off the ceiling :D *Will resume my research tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by 393C3B3A39303A550 link=1240888429/7#7 date=1240975500
    The holes are tiny, reminiscent of the pinhole of a pressurised basket, which has me worried. Nonetheless I optimistically dial my EM0480 down to 8, give it a moderate tamp and try the first shot. Nothing - basket clogged. Up to 12, back off on the tamping, try again - nothing. 15 - nothing. Finally, back at the 18 setting and the light tamp I used with the pressurised basket, I get a trickle; after 40 seconds I generously call it a shot. Tastes undoubtedly better than from the pressurised basket, but a far cry from perfect.

So whats the problem - is it the basket, or have I reached the limits of my poor little EM2300? My impression is that the ESP4/51 still creates a fair bit of backpressure - I am tempted to call it a semi-pressurised basket. Can others confirm this, or is the problem likely elsewhere?

I would look at your fill level/grind/tamp equation.

Back the fill off a touch and see what happens...

Chris

...equations with 3 variables...yippee ;D

A follow-up... after quite some time experimenting, I am now getting a decent cup from my little EM2300 with the ESP4/51 basket. Two key tricks I learned:
    - tamping harder actually *helps* the flow (go figure)
    - in order to achieve a tight enough seal I put a rubber hair elastic (with the metal bit squished flat) between the basket and portafilter
    That last one in particular finally allowed me to get enough pressure through the basket. I still have to use what I consider an insanely coarse grind (22 on my EM0480, when I used 12 for my caffetiere!), otherwise I get no coffee through, but it does produce quite a nice cup now.

Thanks again everybody for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2F28292A2329460 link=1240888429/9#9 date=1243467265
    in order to achieve a tight enough seal I put a rubber hair elastic (with the metal bit squished flat) between the basket and portafilter
    When I used to tie my hair back I used ties with no metal crimp.
    They arent as easy to find but may be better for you if you keep doing this and your current ties arent quite right.