Thread: Hello, & Machine advice request

Hello, & Machine advice request

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, first post, long time coffee drinker, figure most cafe coffeeboys & some barristas would consider me a bit of a snob so hopefully I fit in. :D

Ive been looking around for a decent machine to use for home. Its mostly just me with occasional visitors so Im not looking for anything approaching pro-level.

I know grind & bean quality will determine end results as much as machine, but I want to get something, on a limited budget, that wont make either of those a waste of time.

In looking around i found the DeLonghi Pump Bar 32 which sounds OK from the description. A search of the site didnt seem to show much about Delonghis except for one member who prefers it to a more automatic machine, but he didnt quote model.

Decribed as...
    The DeLonghi Pump BAR32 is a low-end Espresso machine. The body of the device is made of a durable plastic and is completely encased in a professional black finish; at the same time it only weighs a total of 10.8 pounds. The BAR32 includes a 35 ounce or 1 liter removable water tank as well as a fully detachable drip tray; which allows much easier cleaning methods. The Pump BAR32 takes advantage of the patented dual-function filter holder system which enables the device to accommodate two completely separate attachments; one is for simple ground coffee and the other is for attachable pods which tailor to different beverages. The BAR32 device also includes DeLonghis swivel jet frother technology which dispenses the correct amount of froth for a cappucino or other froth related beverage. The DeLonghi Pump BAR32 espresso machine includes additional features such as a stainless steel boiler, two separate thermostats, a coffee tamper, special self-priming operation, a one hour auto-shut off feature and automatic brewing support.
    ...this would seem to have most of what I think I need with no silly frills (like a sub-standard grinder) As it is selling for about $150 Im looking for advice on either this model or deLonghis in general & maybe also what features I should look for if they arent here.

Im a long, strong macchiato drinker, & my favourite saying to coffee makers is If you dont get bruised eyelids when they snap open on the first mouthful it isnt really coffee

Thanks...

Re: Hello, & Machine advice request

Why limited to that brand?

Sorry - Edited to be a little less blunt.

Have you considered that there are a number of espresso machines that may fit your requirements.
    Also, dont forget a grinder. A snob can only last so long using pre-ground coffee.

If its a budget machine you are after, there are tonnes of threads on these in this entry-level category on just that.

Thanks for the reply.

No particular bias for DeLonghi machines, as I mentioned, I browsed around, looked at a few different ones & found the DeLonghi. So I came here to ask what was known about it or whether Id be better off staying away from it.

From your post tone I presume youre not in favour of DeLonghi machines?

And yes, I mentioned above about both grind & bean quality. Its the reason I dont want to overpsend on the machine - then I can afford a better quality grinder.

But thanks...

sunbeam em2300 ristretto is the only machine in that price range imho.

Welcome Journy

Personally Id go for as good as grinder as you can afford and try some pour over coffee to start with until you can afford a good espresso machine. Just need a Sock from Sorrentina Coffee (a site sponsor) and a vessel to pour coffee into. Any glass jug or even a large mug would do. Anyway check out some threads in the manual brewing section and give it a go.

Enjoy :)

Caffeine Junky

Hi Journy & welcome.

I have no experience with DeLonghi myself but I think youll find little support for that brand on this forum. I assume they come with pressurised baskets, something that is taboo on this site. If you do a google search of pressurised versus unpressurised baskets youll have no trouble finding out the difference.

Ive always enjoyed coffee but only recently became obsessed with it. Ive bought two 2nd hand machines in the last 3 weeks from other members on this site.

The first was a Sunbeam EM6910 with the matching EM0480 matching grinder for the home. Its probably the best model at the appliance end of the market i.e. among the consumer brands like Breville & Sunbeam. Its the only Sunbeam that comes with unpressurised baskets (as far as I know). You probably need to go to something Italian made to step up to the next level.

The other I bought (which arrived today) is a Quaha Napoletana II (also badged as a Mokita Combi or Lelit Combi) for the office. This machine has an inbuilt grinder of reasonably good quality.

So far Ive been delighted with both machines although Im still learning to optimise both. After only a day with the combi machine Im also discovering theyre very different pieces of equipment.

What youll hear from everyone on here is spend your money on the grinder. Again, second hand equipment that has been well cared for can be a great starting place. You can buy a cheap espresso machine and replace the pressurised baskets with unpressurised ones. Alternatively you can drink plunger coffee with freshly ground beans whilst saving up for a decent espresso machine.

Ah, thank you all for the advice. More research for me... Ive also been checking out the barrista courses from some of the sponsors to get a professional induction into the addiction. :D

Caffeine Junky

Youre on your way to coffee snobbery now Journy....enjoy the ride.