Thread: SB4800 portafilter blowoff

SB4800 portafilter blowoff

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys we have a SB4800 and the gasket just got replaced, but the handle/portafilter is twisting itself off and blowing off?? Why?? It never used to do it, but since replacing the gasket the handle is a lot harder to twist in and if you dont gently hold it in place, it untwists and blows off. Big mess :D

A_M

Re: SB4800 portafilter blowoff

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7C7C727E77777474110 link=1242393003/0#0 date=1242393003
    Hey guys we have a SB4800 and the gasket just got replaced, but the handle/portafilter is twisting itself off and blowing off?? Why?? It never used to do it, but since replacing the gasket the handle is a lot harder to twist in and if you dont gently hold it in place, it untwists and blows off. Big mess :D
    The usual.. Too packed / fine or over filled is the first thought....

Gday mmm...

Does the "SB4800" have a plastic Group mate, or a metallic one? If plastic, these are quite notorious for playing dirty if the PF cant be locked right in properly as the lug recesses distort under pressure and cause the problem described.

Only thing you can do really, is to remove the new Gasket and see if you can shave a very small slice from the top of it (the surface that mates with the Group) to reduce its thickness and see how that works. Failing that, you might have to get hold of Sunbeam and see if they stock +/- 0.5mm thickness Gaskets and grab one the next size down from the one you have.

All the best mate, hope you can get it sorted.... :)

Mal.

I have an EM4800c, cant say I have heard of a SB4800.. Missprint?
    Anyhow, I had the same issue. Except it was due to the gasket/seal being old.
    Put a new one in, and yes, it was tight but the PF stayed in place. It does loosen up when the machine is hot and seal is wet.
    I have also replaced my group due to a fine crack in it which would blow steam out under pressure ($33 new).

Have fun.

thanks guys, will try them, tamp hasnt been too hard- hardly at all, but I recon the grind is too fine.

mrseca- SB 4800 is SunBeam 4800, yeah its a EM4800. THe gasket is brand new, and really tight at the moment, does it take long to loosen up?? think it was replaced a month ago.

will tweek the grind and hopefully all should be good at work. Home is a dream... if only I can convince the boss to upgrade! ;D ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6A6A6A646861616262070 link=1242393003/4#4 date=1242469311
    will tweek the grind and hopefully all should be good at work. Home is a dream... if only I can convince the boss to upgrade!

Swap with ya dad... I gather his issue is all fixed now ?

My seal could loosen from the word go if i let the machine heat up for about 30+ mins and had the seal wet.

Though when I got the seal I also had to get a new group, that would have helped keep the PF in place.

Holding the handle for 25 secs isnt too much hassle, I got used to it.

Daniel.

hey anger father n laws machine was terminal kept stalling when trying to draw a shot- didnt matter on grind gourseness ramp etc. He took it back and got a new one... On to his 4th one and counting- he only brought the machine 9 months ago. :o

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2323232D2128282B2B4E0 link=1242393003/7#7 date=1242565130
    hey anger father n laws machine was terminal kept stalling when trying to draw a shot- didnt matter on grind gourseness ramp etc. He took it back and got a new one... On to his 4th one and counting- he only brought the machine 9 months ago. *:o
    Interesting... Never heard of that may problems on one user.. I do know that at times; HN and or others have been questioned as to swapping out Demo and other units that have been returned.....

Was it replaced directly by SB or their service agent at Albion ?

It would be interesting to know what the 4 problem were, that were so bad he has had to have the machine replaced each time...

It just does not sound right..

Quote Originally Posted by 123D3436211E323D3234363E363D27530 link=1242393003/8#8 date=1242567251
    Interesting... [ch65533]Never heard of that may problems on one user.. [ch65533]I do know that at times; HN and or others have been questioned as to swapping out Demo and other units that have been returned.....

Was it replaced directly by SB or their service agent at Albion ?

It would be interesting to know what the 4 problem were, that were so bad he has had to have the machine replaced each time...

It just does not [ch65533]sound right..
    My father in law is a very picky, if it isnt perfect he will take it back and get a new one- dont think they were big problems, just smaller things like a the drip tray marking or something like that.
    He just takes them back to Myers where he brought it from, they give him a new one.
    So yeah, this I think was the only major problem for him, the other ones were no big issues, from what I have found out.

hopefully this one has no big or little problems or hell be back there again. hope its good one so he can fully enjoy it