Thread: Non Pressurised Filter

Non Pressurised Filter

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know if I can get a non pressurised filter for my Sunbeam EM5600. I would love to pull a good shot.

Thanks
    coffeetom :

Re: Non Pressurised Filter

Howdy, Im happy you asked.
    This is my first post, and am excited to use it to help someone.

My answer isnt how to get one, its how to make one (free option).

I own a Sunbeam EM4800C. I had the exact same qusetion about 1 month ago after a long session on this website.
    I too wanted a non pressurised basket for my machine, but due to being a tight arse and not wanting to spend money or drive to a spare parts shop to ask, I took the "home modification" option.
    I have read posts from others that used angle grinders to cut the bottom of their baskets, but with less than 1mm or so clearance between the two floors, there was too much risk of hitting the top floor and destroying the basket all together.

My father owns a metal lathe, this was the only thing I could think of to do the job with precision.
    The initial cut I did was a test run, only cutting to the outside of the dimples on the bottom. Boy, there was some crap trapped in there.
    I took the basket back home and tested the mod.
    After some grind & tamp alterations, I was very impressed. :D
    So, next trip to my parents house I was turning the rest of the basket floor off. BUT you must leave a lip around the edge to hold the other floor in!!!
    My mod left about 5mm round the edge, which clears all the holes but keeps the basket strong.

The Sunbeam baskets have larger holes in the floor than other non pressurised baskets so suitable grind & tamp combinations may take a while to master.

I also removed the plastic floor from the PF handle to remove any chances of sludge build up.

Also pix attached of a friends effort of a "Naked PortaFilter." Using a 44mm holesaw as specified in another thread on this fantasic forum.
    I recommend doing this with a spare handle only as there are some downsides of being naked.

Also, if you havnt got a burr grinder, get one.

So, in closing, find someone with a metal lathe. It will take them 2-3 mins and im sure they would be happy to help.

Hope my ranting helped.

Daniel.

Welcome! Good info for a first post.

My solution was to drill out each of the indentations with a drill press and a steady hand. A 0.8mm bit from memory.

Maybe an option if you dont have access to a metal lathe.

However they also look a lot like the standard domestic sized Krups and Breville baskets. Investigate if one of those might fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 7768697F797B1A0 link=1242442873/1#1 date=1242460841
    I also removed the plastic floor from the PF handle
    Its called a "graeme" around here.

The name was actually suggested by the user called DIG.
    You can read the whole story in the original post here:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1188978543/4#4

Quote Originally Posted by 1428352E242532272F24400 link=1242442873/3#3 date=1242480304
    Quote Originally Posted by 7768697F797B1A0 link=1242442873/1#1 date=1242460841
    I also removed the plastic floor from the PF handle
    Its called a "graeme" around here.

The name was actually suggested by the user called DIG.
    You can read the whole story in the original post here:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1188978543/4#4
    Well, I dont want to tell a long time poster he is wrong.
    But after reading the linked post, I think you will find my piece is "Harry" the crema enhancing floor. ;D

Thats OK.
    The Ikon owners call theirs Neil.

Hi mrseca, thanx for your great post. i also have a EM4800C with a Krups non-pressurised basket inserted in the PF. I wish to also remove the plastic insert but cant find brass nut/bold small enough to plug up the middle hole ( i need to as I pull a lot of doubles ) - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated from a first time poster !! :) :) :)

I never pull into two cups because my machine never poured evenly from both holes from the start.
    But I have thought about plugging the hole. My thoughts were to insert a pop rivet, preferably a blind one, but any should do the job.
    A stainless steel rivet would be most desireable but also most rare. Aluminium will do the job too.
    There should be a size available to sit in the recess nice & snug.
    If you cant get the idea, I will do it to mine & post pics.
    Hope its a suitable suggestion.

Nice post mrseca.

With my Breville ES800, I have recently converted from the Krupps non-pressurised basket back to the original basket with the bottom machined off. The advatages are numerous:
    1. There are more holes, of a smaller size, in the bottom of the basket - I can now grind finer to get a better flow rate without getting grinds in the cup.
    2. I can fit more coffee in - I havent measured how much more but I can get better volumes shots (I stop the shots as soon as it starts to blonde - not 30ml but enough for ACF Tulip cups).
    3. It has the ridge on the rim of the filter basket so it seals well with the original seal in the group head.

I was impressed with how much the coffee improved when I first converted to the Krupps basket, but changing to the modified Breville basket has greatly improved the consitiency and taste of my shots.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 0B3D100D2A2A3D4F0 link=1242442873/8#8 date=1242958755
    Nice post mrseca.

1. There are more holes, of a smaller size, in the bottom of the basket - I can now grind finer to get a better flow rate without getting grinds in the cup.
    Unfortunately for me, my sunbeam basket has quite coarse holes. But as I say, Im a tightarse and it does the job for now.
    But I may look into finding an old Breville ES800 basket and lopping the bottom off, hoping it will fit my PF.

Hi guys,

Take a look at the following post where I posted up-close pics of the holes in the SB and Krups baskets. You will see that the sunbeam ones are much smaller. Not sure how come yours are bigger?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234064740

Cheers, TB