Thread: Need help to pick a machine

Need help to pick a machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok i am new to this coffee stuff.I love my coffee and want to learn how to make a good brew, i need help in picking a machine for my budget, so far i have come up with the Gaggia classic. Does anyone have other ideas thanks.Lee 8-) 8-) 8-) Ok the budget is $500 for the machine and i dont have grinder,i will be making 2 cups at a time both flat whites.
    And i live in wollongong.I have been told sunbeams break down all the time.

Re: Need help to pick a machine

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Uhhh--what was that budget again?
    What sort of brew do you want to make?
    Do you want to froth milk as well?
    How many do you make at one time?
    Where do you live?
    Do you have grinder already, or does the budget include money for one?

These will be a good start.
    Or you could cruise the site in the appropriate price categories.
    Or you could use the search.

Greg

Caffeine Junky

Welcome tysson. I was in your situation only 2 months ago and have come a long way in that short time...hope you can benefit from my experience.

What everyone on this site will tell you is that you should concentrate on getting yourself a decent burr grinder...and theyre right. At the bottom end of the recommended range is the Sunbeam EM0480 which are ~$220 new.

Obviously this is nearly half your budget already. Within that range youre looking at machines with pressurised baskets. If you dont know what that means, do a search for pressurised and unpressurised baskets either here or on google. You could buy yourself a Breville Ikon or a lower end Sunbeam and replace the pressurised baskets with unpressurised.

Personally I would go with second hand, well maintained equipment. Ideally off another CS member who has been contributing to the site for some time. This is what Ive done (twice) and been happy so far.

Since joining I bought an almost new Sunbeam EM6910 and matching EM0480 grinder. This combo is very decent for someone who doesnt want to spend over $1K. For the last 2 years Sunbeam have had promos in August where you could get the grinder for free by redemption. The machine is ~$700. Very good value IMHO.

I also bought (for the office) a Quaha Napoletana II which is the same as this machine sold by one of the site sponsors:
    http://(no free plug here)/nemox-dell-opera-p-106.html?osCsid=08872f4d3ea729c5dc3d286c3200cd5d
    Ive been even happier with this machine. Its not as attractive as the Sunbeam but it seems produce better quality drinks and more consistently. I paid $300 for a 5 year old machine and Im confident, with TLC, it has several years left in it.

I also recommend the Nemox
    But for your $500 budget you will need the Dell Operas little brother (Same machine without the inbuilt grinder)
    The Nemox Fenice @ $579 and good value at that
    http://(no free plug here)/nemox-fenice-espresso-machine-p-126.html?osCsid=808b1bbcd9ed59d3d0ba9cfae274b4de

KK

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by 17333A3A39390317332F31335C0 link=1245928190/3#3 date=1245935333
    I also recommend the Nemox
    But for your $500 budget you will need the Dell Operas little brother (Same machine without the inbuilt grinder)
    The Nemox Fenice @ $579 and good value at that
    http://(no free plug here)/nemox-fenice-espresso-machine-p-126.html?osCsid=808b...
    I am also in the market for a new machine. The Nemox was my first choice, however it seems that it is not available in Australia at the moment. :-/
    Cam

Tysson,

Agree with recommendations of the Quaha / Nemox Dell Opera - good machine, good basics, includes a Lux grinder. Also badged as a Lelit Combi PL042. I have my old one (<2 yrs old) sitting in its box in the garage. PM me if you want to have a look at it (Im not that far away from the gong).

Greg