Thread: Sunbeam Em3800 Cafe Espresso

Sunbeam Em3800 Cafe Espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    First time on here and it looks great!!!!
    Ok so I have a problem with my Sunbeam....... sound familliar?? I had a laugh :D
    I have just bought this machine second hand and it is my first one and all is good except for the fact that after I pour a shot and I turn the water off the group head is still full of water and when I break the seal and turn the group handel I have to put a lil bowl under it and water pours out and I have to be carefull not to spill the ground coffee and water soup and get it to my sink!!
    I have checked the baskets and they are not blocked and I use the correctly ground coffee for espresso machines....So WHY is this happening?? Can anyone help.........pleeeeeease :(

Re: Sunbeam Em3800 Cafe Espresso

Can ANYONE help?????????? :) :) :) :) :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 142C2B302B233D34373D440 link=1246003156/1#1 date=1246085213
    Can ANYONE help?????????? :) :) :) :) :)
    It might help if we knew where you are and why the people sold it as well as when you last cleaned it..

Sorry.
    OK I will give you more info.
    I live in Melbourne, people I bought it off just upgraded but raved about this machines use and they cleaned it as often as instructed and they cleaned it just before I picked it up. They were very into their coffee....
    I hope that this enough info to go on but if not I will give you as much as you need so I can get this prob sorted out. :(

A_M

Ok..

What beans ?

Where from and how old

What grind / or are they pre ground..

Now you might be asking what has this got to do with a sloppy puck ?

Maybe maybe not... But a good place to start... Sets the scene, so to speak.

How are you then dosing and tamping ?

If the unit has pressurised baskets ( The norm) then the a fine grind as used by REAL espresso machines will contribute to your problem... *It is set up for a courser grind and stale super market beans...

Then there is the other trick of *cracking open the steam at the end of the run... *If you have a blockage or crap in there this can help to release any back pressure...

On the smaller units, you usualy only get a shot of Coffee and then steam the milk... You then have to flush and get the temp down B4 making another... Or you will burn the coffee if you make a shot just after steaming the milk.

Not sure if this is of any help, but will / should assist you in learning... *

NOTE: The EM3800 is a good little machine but you need to know how to drive it.

Ahhhhh Anger
    I think we may be getting closer...... SLOPPY PUCK now I know the term!!

Like I said I am more than happy to put up as much detail you need so I can get to the bottom of this sloppy puck.

I have pressurised baskets.

OK so I bought my beans from Gloria Jeans (!!) and they ground them there to my request of home espresso machine grind....(I cross my fingers in hoping this is the correct grind!!) I used them that day and everyday since.
    BUT in saying that I have also used Harris and Maccona already ground coffee from the super market (yuck) and also some Margaret River Yahava Coffee but this is old and a bit stale..... all do the same. :( Im expecting it from the stale and the supermarket stuff but not the fresh GJ Coffee???

I am dosing with the spoon that came with the Machine and I am Tamping with a correct size Tamp (so I was told) the previous owner bought one to fit the machine. (not using the tamp provided by sunbeam at all)

I usually make two cups at a time and I actually pour both shots first then steam the milk and inbetween doing the shots I flush a little to get any crazy rouge coffee escapees out before I start the next shot.
    BUT in saying that thankyou for the tip if doing one at a time I would never have thought of that :)

OK so Then there is the other trick of cracking open the steam at the end of the run... If you have a blockage or crap in there this can help to release any back pressure...
    After I pour the shot with the group handle still in the same position I crack the steam for a few seconds and this might work?? I will try this...

Dont get me wrong the coffee (Gloria Jeans!!) actally tastes ok (this is just to do us over till our freshly roasted Kuranda Coffee comes in the mail! CANT WAIT!!!!!) but I just want to master this machine.
    I did hear that these machines did take a little getting use to and I have the patience and I will trial and error as much as I need to but I just need to know what I have to do to try and get the PUCK nice and not a sloppy mess???? I really dont want this to be happening when I get my Kuranda Coffee because I just want to get the best that I can out of that coffee because it is really really yummy!! SO that is why Im happy to trial and error with the GJs coffee until I have found a resolution to this sloppy puck!

Thank you so much for your help so far I know I have a lot to learn and Im glad there are people like you out there with patience who have probably answered the same questions time and time again just different versions :) :)

Hope this info helps a little more.....