Thread: Cafe Roma + Caffetto

Cafe Roma + Caffetto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Cafe Roma is producing some rather weird tasting coffee; it needs a good proper clean. The manual suggests running a decalcifying agent through.

My question is not about whether Caffetto powder is good enough for the job, but can the Cafe Roma handle it?

Also, anyone with any tips on cleaning a Cafe Roma?

A_M

Re: Cafe Roma + Caffetto

Quote Originally Posted by 7F5A5F536A3E0 link=1247280834/0#0 date=1247280834
    My Cafe Roma is producing some rather weird tasting coffee; it needs a good proper clean. The manual suggests running a decalcifying agent through.

My question is not about whether Caffetto powder is good enough for the job, but can the Cafe Roma handle it?

My first thought would be yes, but be a little gentle...

Much better that some of the harsher products and better than some of the home cooking products that get mentioned.

Like every thing... More is not always better and dont leave it over night etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 08272E2C3B042827282E2C242C273D490 link=1247280834/1#1 date=1247283799
    My first thought would be yes, but be a little gentle...

Much better that some of the harsher products and better than some of the home cooking products that get mentioned.

Like every thing... More is not always better and dont leave it over night etc.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Would you be able to recommend a "mild" concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by 6B4E4B477E2A0 link=1247280834/0#0 date=1247280834

How much work has it done?
    The first parts to clean are the filter, filter holder and group head.
    The filter holder will need to be taken apart using a Phillips head screw driver remove the single screw and push out the plastic insert. Use hot water and a brush if your not happy with the job there are products that may make you feel better about your work. Give the group head a good brushing and hot water rinse, again there are products. *If you still use the pressurised filter that may need some attention, then you can think of doing the internals. There is plenty of explicit advice on product labels and on the web Google and read then act.
    My CR tends to run too cool, not enough flavour in the cup, is that weird? what exactly is weird?

Good luck
    Lindsay

Embarassingly its done about 6 months of work without a decent clean! Ill give the thorough cleaning a go, thanks for the tips.

Im not sure exactly how to describe this "weird" flavour. I would say its mildly citrussy and a little sour, it reminds me a little of a household cleaning product and/or possibly mould? It seems to be more pronounced with the current coffee Im running through it (Malawi AA), but this is supposed to be citrussy/winey.

Im sure its running way too cool and my grinding/dosing/tamping is inconsistent - flavour and body lacks a little in the cup. Buuuut its a cheap machine, you get what you pay for, and its orders of magnitude better than Blend 43 :D

Cheers for the help.

Hi AdamT,

The pressurised filter and crema enhancing filter holder may generate off tastes/smells I have been told.
    If your CR tends to run too cool like mine you may achieve a small improvement by steaming the milk first then straight to the extraction, I fantasy I experienced a small improvement using this management but not fully explored (as CR is now on a temporary holiday)

Good luck
    Lindsay

if it makes you feel better my first machine a SB 7 years ago (when I didnt have many ideas on what good coffee was :D still learning even now) it didnt get a chemical clean for 4 years and still went, but the coffee was kinda tasting like not much very watery and very little taste.
    I made a blind filter out of some aluminum foil in the basket and put a tip of a teaspoon in the "blind filter" and put it in the machine and switched on brew for about 5 seconds until it stated making louder noises. did again quickly, then rinsed everything, ran water through and a couple shots.

It made a HUGE difference to the coffee and the machine worked fine.
    As AM said be gentle with it. It might be a "cheaper" machine but that doesnt mean you want to kill it... unless you want to upgrade ;)

do you now feel better having not cleaned you machine for 6 months (as aposed to my 4 years)!! I am to please and make others feel better about themselves ;D

Needly to say I clean every week now!