Thread: has anyone had problems with the Sunbeam EM4800c

VMS

has anyone had problems with the Sunbeam EM4800c

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am onto my second machine - the first was replaced within 3 months because of pump problems - the new one is 6 weeks old & the pump is starting to ake loud noises & the coffee is not tasting good.
    The machine has been producing excellent coffee until now.
    I would be interested to know if other have had the same problem.

Caffeine Junky

Re: has anyone had problems with the Sunbeam EM4800c

Hi granable, sorry to hear about your problems. I bought my brother an EM4800 for his wedding around 7 years ago and its still going strong. Only ever needed new seals, as one would expect. Has been used almost every day during that time (apart from when they were overseas for a year).

What is your cleaning regime like? Are you cleaning out the filter basket? Perhaps there is a build up of crud which is making the pump work harder, hence the noise and bad tasting coffee.

If youre confident youre doing all the right things in terms of cleaning, then do no hesitate to return the machine.

I too have the same machine and will probably return it tomorrow, have had it for about three weeks and have only made a few decent cups out of it. No matter what grind i use, em0480, it just spits out steam from the group head. The coffee sunbeam sent was very coarse i found but would work so not sure still if it is my machine, my grind or something else. Commercially ground coffee doesnt work either, and the group handle goes all the way to the right without a lot of resistance, so does that mean the seal is buggered? Getting frustrated grinding $20 of coffee to not drink one. >:(

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 273A26363A27303164656565550 link=1248130195/2#2 date=1248134817
    I too have the same machine and will probably return it tomorrow, have had it for about three weeks and have only made a few decent cups out of it. No matter what grind i use, em0480, it just spits out steam from the group head. The coffee sunbeam sent was very coarse i found but would work so not sure still if it is my machine, my grind or something else. Commercially ground coffee doesnt work either, and the group handle goes all the way to the right without a lot of resistance, so *does that mean the seal is buggered? Getting frustrated grinding $20 of coffee to not drink one. >:(
    If steam is pouring out of the group whilst youre pouring a shot and the group handle goes all the way the right then it certainly sounds like a group seal problem.

Well that makes sense I know and sunbeam said take it back, so I tried one more time a little coarser and then tamped down more and the damn thing worked, only spitting out at the very end. So tamped down more and it worked fine, so...... I now think that my machine is a bit of a mind reader and heard me plotting to take it back so decided to work properly. Or I have just stumbled across a good grind and tamping firmer. I guess I need to work on my tamping. :-/
    I have heard that there are better seals like Krupps any thoughts on that?

I have heard that there are better seal out there like Krupps? Is that true?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 726F73636F72656431303030000 link=1248130195/5#5 date=1248137242
    I have heard that there are better seal out there like Krupps? Is that true?
    Can not comment on teh seal... But as to teh PF basket - YES

Took the machine and got new replacement, perfect!
    the group handle is tight as it should be and no problems making 2 out of 2 coffees. So now just have to work the best grind for me. thanks

Caffeine Junky

Great stuff roscored. Are you using the original pressurised baskets that came with the machine or have you got yourself an unpressurised one?

Still using the original baskets, may consider changing down the track when i am throwing away less coffee than i am drinking. Have to work out a good grind setting on that next too.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 554854444855424316171717270 link=1248130195/9#9 date=1248223771
    Still using the original baskets, may consider changing down the track when i am throwing away less coffee than i am drinking. *Have to work out a good grind setting on that next too.
    Yes you will unfortunately. I used the Krups basket on my 4800. The holes on that basket are quite large so had to grind courser or would end up with grindy coffee.

U can as Im about to on my old 4800 @ work (that is 6 yes old now no problems) drill some 1-2mm holes - a circle if 6 and enlarging the central hole. This will convert it into a non pressurized (thanks AM) or the other idea is to cut the base off the basket converting it.

hmmm, Drilling may be very risky.
    I originally enlarged the centre hole, and because it is Stainless Steel it is very hard and the point of the drill came dangerously close to the top screen.
    There is about 2mm MAX clearance between the 2 floors at the deepest in the centre.

Mrseca.

cyv

Does anyone know if Sunbeam will entertain problems if machine is out of warranty?

A friends machine is spitting out water along with the espresso when it comes out. Can anyone help?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 564C43350 link=1248130195/13#13 date=1250595094
    Does anyone know if Sunbeam will entertain problems if *machine is out of warranty?

A friends machine is spitting out water along with the espresso when it comes out. Can anyone help?
    Seal or split group..

Seals are cheep... A few dollars..

Group heads :-) Well I know some one who changes quite a few every month... That hard black plastic does not last for ever...

I may have a spare... But check wity Sparkys in Brisbane (Albion) as to costs from them..

PS... A bugger to change in the Em4800