Thread: EM4800c Group handle too far to the right.

EM4800c Group handle too far to the right.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi I am curious about my group handle. My machine is new about 3 weeks and I dont leave the group handle attached when it is not on to preserve the seal integrity, but ...... after loading it with coffee and attaching it, it moves to the far right with almost not resistance, is that right?
    I concede that I am not tamping hard enough, so I am getting steam shooting out very soon after starting extracting, very frustrating. Slowly getting that part of it worked out. But should a new seal allow it to move to the far right so quickly, I am pretty sure that I am not overly forcing it as it moves freely enough. It is just that it does go well past the mid point to the far right. :-?

Caffeine Junky

Re: EM4800c Group handle too far to the right.

Doesnt sound right at all. Its pretty easy to inspect the seal by removing the shower screen, although if its a new machine, I have no idea if youre allowed to do this under warranty.

Id be contacting Sunbeam or simply return it to the store.

The seal actually looks ok, not that I would know what a stuffed looks like! There are no tears etc. I have turned it upside down and taken seal out and back in again. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks
    Well its 2 hrs later and i have tried 11 times to make a cup of coffee, and the handle leaks every time so it is going back, today, very unimpressed so far.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 7B667A6A667B6C6D38393939090 link=1248140870/2#2 date=1248147327
    The seal actually looks ok, not that I would know what a stuffed looks like! There are no tears etc. I have turned it upside down and taken seal out and back in again. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks
    Well its 2 hrs later and i have tried 11 times to make a cup of coffee, and the handle leaks every time so it is going back, today, very unimpressed so far.
    Let them know youre unhappy although dont let them offer you a free bag of coffee beans as compensation, theyre bound to be stale.

Had a win i think this time, took it back after trying 20 times so chewed through a lot of coffee. The new machine they happily gave me is great so far, the group handle wont go past the mid point so it must have been the group handle and seal that shouldnt have past quality control. Thanks for all the feedback, now to get the grind right, i am currently grinding at 17 on a em0480 so i think there is room for refinement, do you agree? :)