Thread: *Newbie* need help choosing new machine

*Newbie* need help choosing new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there,

Im new around here.

Currently I own a Breville Cafe Roma, about 4 yrs old, with which i have been able to teach myself to brew a decent enough coffee to prefer my home brew to almost ALL cafes in my area.

I have a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder, that has made a huge difference to consistant taste, although it is messy.

Recently discovered a leak in my cafe roma, its been going on for some time, and its pretty rusted up, so i think its time for a new machine.

I generally make 2-3 lattes a day for myself, with the occasional capp or 2 for guests.

Budget is around the $200 mark, but is it worth looking at a higher budget?? definately not over $500.

Not really sure where to start, any help very appreciated.

THANKS! [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Re: *Newbie* need help choosing new machine

Hi and welcome
    Get another Cafe Roma for your minimum budget
    Or the Gaggia Classic for your higher budget

KK

Caffeine Junky

Welcome to CS. *With regards to the mess your grinder makes, Sunbeam now sell this grinder with an *extension spout. *Basically its a bit of rubber tubing that makes the spout around 3-4cm longer.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one and was surprised the difference it made. *Others have used a bit of plastic hosing from the hardware store with similar results.

Back to the main point though, I agree with KK. 4 years is pretty good service for an inexpensive machine you may as well buy the same or something similar. *Most machines between $100-400 probably wont give you a huge variation in results. *

Only thing I dont like about the Gaggia Classic is that it has an aluminium boiler. *The Saeco Via Venezia also seems to be quite popular although it has a pressured group handle which apparently can be modded pretty easily.

The Breville Ikon is a popular boiler machine, one of the few in this price bracket.

Thanks Guys, ;)

Caffeine Junky: any idea where i can get my hands on one of those extension spouts??

Breville Ikon sounds interesting. Does a boiler mean you need to preheat?

Are there any cons I should know about the Ikon?

I really like the modern look of it, but hubby prefers a more commercial look.

thanks.

* :-[ GOSH first day and i think im already suffering a serious case of upgraditis.

Quote Originally Posted by 57706B7E7C757C69190 link=1248182652/3#3 date=1248187214
    Thanks Guys, *;)

Caffeine Junky: any idea where i can get my hands on one of those extension spouts??
    Give Sunbeam a call - normally they will send this part out to you.

Im putting a vote in for the Classic. A little above your price bracket but I am absolutely rapt with mine - fantastic machine that will run for years and years and years (although upgraditis will probably hit before then!)

Thanks bjeck14, I will give them a call today!

As for the Classic, Im a bit dubious. If it really does have an aluminium boiler, thats a no go for me.

I may have the opportunity to buy a 2 yr old hardly used (whatever that means) SB EM6910
    or a new Breville Ikon for around the same price.
    Any reason Id choose one of these over the other?

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 00273C292B222B3E4E0 link=1248182652/5#5 date=1248218303
    Thanks bjeck14, I will give them a call today!

As for the Classic, Im a bit dubious. If it really does have an aluminium boiler, thats a no go for me.

I may have the opportunity to buy a 2 yr old hardly used (whatever that means) SB EM6910
    or a new Breville Ikon for around the same price.
    Any reason Id choose one of these over the other?
    I have an EM6910 at home and occasionally use an Ikon at my in-laws house. They are not even in the same ballpark as far as Im concerned. If you are confident the Sunbeam is in good condition then Id go for it.

Hi there,
    Sorry for potentially "jacking" this post, however I am a newbie too and will be getting a Sunbeam EM6910 soon (sort of free via reward points) and I have done quite a bit of reading and other research and am now trying to determine what grinder to get to go with this. I am happy to pay a bit extra but dont want to get carried away (just yet) and start upgradeitis even before I have begun. I know that a lot of people have a lot of different opinions about this and I understand the importance of a grinder. Initially I dont think I really want to spend more than about $300-$400 on the grinder and I have read a wide range of opinions on this and am still a bit confused.
    I am hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction in regards to the grinder... then when (not if) my home coffee making takes off I will look to upgrade (got to convince the significant other first).
    Thanks in advance. *

Quote Originally Posted by 4344455152425F475E300 link=1248182652/7#7 date=1248247776
    Hi there,
    Sorry for potentially "jacking" this post, however I am a newbie too and will be getting a Sunbeam EM6910 soon (sort of free via reward points) and I have done quite a bit of reading and other research and am now trying to determine what grinder to get to go with this. I am happy to pay a bit extra but dont want to get carried away (just yet) and start upgradeitis even before I have begun. I know that a lot of people have a lot of different opinions about this and I understand the importance of a grinder. Initially I dont think I really want to spend more than about $300-$400 on the grinder and I have read a wide range of opinions on this and am still a bit confused.
    I am hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction in regards to the grinder... then when (not if) my home coffee making takes off I will look to upgrade (got to convince the significant other first).
    Thanks in advance. *
    I would suggest stretching the budget and go straight to a commercial build grinder. Mazzer or equivalent.

So when you do decide to upgrade your machine, you already have a pretty solid grinder.

Gav

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 3F38392D2E3E233B224C0 link=1248182652/7#7 date=1248247776
    Hi there,
    Thanks in advance. *
    Welcome Dat. There is plenty of information on grinders you can read about on this site so I would encourage you to do some searches.
    When you click on the search button above make sure you change the search period (default is only one week).

I personally think you should go for a Sunbeam EM0480 for $220. The only one cheaper than that I would recommend is the EM0450 which is pretty much the same just not as pretty.

Above that price youre looking at grinders like the Ibertal Challenge, Isomac Professionale or Nemox Lux....all around the $300 mark. Above that you have the Cunill Tranquilo & Rancilio Rocky for about $440. I have seen the Tranquilo sell for a lot less than that.

Most seem to suggest the Sunbeam gives similar performance to the others around the $300 mark so it may no be worth buying any of them. Plus the EM0480 is designed to match the EM6910 aesthetically.

Spending slightly over your budet for the Rocky, which is a very highly recommended grinder, probably IS worthile. Youll end up with a better performing grinder that will last you a lot longer.

Finally, the Sunbeam EM0480 seems to sell very well second hand, I have seen them go for ~$180+ on ebay. If you dont like it for some reason you wouldnt be losing much.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2A3D22257A4B0 link=1248182652/8#8 date=1248248870
    Quote Originally Posted by 4344455152425F475E300 link=1248182652/7#7 date=1248247776
    Hi there,
    Thanks in advance. *
    I would suggest stretching the budget and go straight to a commercial build grinder. Mazzer or equivalent.

So when you do decide to upgrade your machine, you already have a pretty solid grinder.

Gav
    What you say is 100% true Gav, buy quality, buy once and save money in the long run. However Dat would have to double his budget and if he wasnt satisfied with the SB after 6 months he would probably only lose $30-40 in upgrading.

Hi Dat,

Pretty much what CJ said.

The other option is a Kyocera manual grinder for $95--available on CS.

In short, you can go for the 6910 + 0450 and get good results with a matched set. The only down side is that if and when upgraditis strikes youll probably want to upgrade both. The Rocky may last one upgrade longer, depending on how hard you get hit. Note that not everybody does get hit with upgraditis and continue with Sunbeam quality units for many years.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 6364657172627F677E100 link=1248182652/7#7 date=1248247776
    Sorry for potentially "jacking" this post, however I am a newbie too and will be getting a Sunbeam EM6910 soon (sort of free via reward points)
    Hi Dat,

If youve got so many points to burn why stop at the SB, go for the Silvia for an extra 20,000 pnts! You can even get yourself a Rocky for a measly 70,000pnts or do points plus pay and get them both!!!!!

Damn, makes me wish i hadnt wasted all those points on flights to Hawaii! :(

nirgelep,

the Ikon is a good unit, as is th Gaggia- even though it is a aluminum boiler- still very good. IMHO the Gaggia is better than the 6910.
    The other option is keeping an eye out for a second hand Silvia- you wont regret it!

Dat- the advice always recommended- get the best grinder you can afford!! Rocky is a very very solid unit that will last, for a bot more $$ you can get your hands on a Mazzer Mini or equivalent.

hmmm, Silvia, yes please. not sure its in the budget yet tho. will take your advice and look around for a cheapy 2nd hand 1 (know anyone????? ;))

Thanks all for the response. Unfortunately Nirgelep no so many points left now either... used them for trips etc. as well. I totally understand the advice and having used the Mazzer (Royal I think) at the local coffee shop I understand the quality aspect but trying to convince the missus to go straight to that sort of thing straight away wont be easy. Especially when she wanted to use the points left towards another holiday *[smiley=rolleyes.gif].
    I am "picking up what CJ is putting down" and if upgrading the SB means I wont loose too much in the transition I am OK with that, however if something in one of those higher price brackets was going to give me significantly better results and would last, not needing upgrading in the future - then I might have a chance with my persuasive powers. *

To Nirgelep,
    I am a newbie as well, and just bought my used EM6910 one month ago.
    I have the similar budget limit (~500.-), after read some post I choose to go after EM6910 and take the no warranty risk.

Its a good stuff after one month practice, I can get the similar test like the cafe.

And you are a bit unlucky, because as I know "AngerManagement" just sold a em6910 few weeks ago...
    Maybe come to CS more often to see if you have a good luck.

Colin

UPDATE:

Thought Id let you guys know where im at and thank you for all the help and making me feel welcome!

Managed to pick up a very cheap Cafe Roma from my local $converters because i was desperate for good coffee and my stovetop just wasnt doing it for me. And I was introduced to the most AMAZING coffee at Veneziano, so now Im spoiled for life! (Gee, and my friends thought I was coffee snob before!)

In the meantime I have learned HEAPS from this and other sites, and have sourced some great FRESH beans (whod have known Woolies werent fresh? :-[) and am experimenting with some new skills. We are keeping an eye out for an inexpensive better machine.
    Have bid on a few Silvias and a Nemox on evilbay but have missed out.
    Now hubby is eyeing off San Marinos and VBMs and the like, and looking into roasting. ::)

So much for the $200 budget! :o

So, watch out for me in the higher end posts soon!

Quote:
    So much for the $200 budget! Shocked

So, watch out for me in the higher end posts soon! Unquote.

It didnt take you long to get upgraditis nirge, the joy of being a Coffeesnob and the uncontrollable urge to purchase shiny new toys.
    Enjoy your caffeine fueled journey........ ;) :) :D :D :D :D

Caffeine Junky

Might as well set yourselves aside $4K and buy the machine, grinder, roaster, Pullman Tamper and other accessories right from the start.

Otherwise youll be upgrading 2 or 3 times to end up with the same equipment you could have bought from the start. Except it would have taken you 12-18 longer and cost you $5K instead of $4K.

Not that I can talk, I am currently going through option #2 at the moment, but thorougly enjoying it.